Heart Disease Expert Forum
possible heart problems during ecg triggered lithotripsy
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

possible heart problems during ecg triggered lithotripsy

Hi
I have the following question: If a patient has a heart problem, but still needs lithotripsy treatment for kidney stones, on which part of the ecg-curve should the lithotripter be triggered, so as not to induce a disrhytmic behaviour in the heart or even worse?
I hope somebody can give me an answer to this.
Thank you very much in advance.
Best regards
Bettina
Related Discussions
238668_tn?1232735930
Dear Bettina,

The period of vulnerability to arrhythmias is during repolarization of the ventricles.  This is the T wave on the ECG.  The period of safety is during depolarization which correlates to the QRS complex on the ECG.  Therefore the part of the ECG to trigger off of is the QRS complex.
2 Comments
Blank
Hi
Thank you very much for your fast reply.
After studying your answer, I have now learned, that the QRS complex has a the so called R-peak. Now my next question would be: If the trigger is within this QRS complex (which seems to be quite long) would it create any hazard to the patient if the shock wave hits the patient on either the up- or down-coming slope of this R peak?
Thanks again for your help.
Best regards,
Bettina
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now