Heart Disease Expert Forum
single coronary artery

This forum is for questions and support regarding heart issues such as: Angina, Angioplasty, Arrhythmia, Bypass Surgery, Cardiomyopathy, Coronary Artery Disease, Defibrillator, Heart Attack, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Pacemaker, PAD, Stenosis, Stress Tests.

single coronary artery

I use to post as bubbaben  but forgot and lost passwords.. I have a single coronary artery that was found 3 years ago and was wondering how should it be treated on a regular basis by a heart doctor.. It was called a Pete Marivich heart and it seems very little is known about it including how to treat in people in there 60s who have survived it
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi Richy,
I presume you have an abnormal left coronary artery arising from the pulmonary artery (ALCAPA) or other similar condition with a single right coronary artery that supplies most of your heart (what Pete Maravich had I believe).  While it is difficult to give you any definitive recommendation without knowing more about you, your symptoms, and your past medical history, I can say that if you have survived into your 60s with this, then the news is quite good!  The management of single anomalous coronary arteries depends on what the exact anatomy is, whether you have symptoms of chest pain or arrhythmias, or whether there are other congenital abnormalities in the heart.  Typically, routine followup with repeat ultrasounds of the heart, stress tests, and EKGs are part and parcel of the normal followup care.  If you have evidence that your heart is having decreased blood flow on stress testing for example, then performing stenting to a blocked area or surgical bypass grafting are options to improve flow.  So there is no "regular treatment" per se; it depends on your particular anatomy, symptoms, and/or the presence of other congenital heart problems like valvular disease.  Hope that helps!
Thank you for the response. I have a single right coronary the LAD and LCX both arise from opposite sides of the right coronary with the LCX going around the back of the heart and a diminutive LAD going between the aorta and pulmonary.. I have been told the same thing by others about being good because of making it past the age of 40.  Thank you for another opinion.