Heart Rhythm Community
Afib and coumadin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Afib and coumadin

I had an EP study done.  The doctor said I have a very strong heart however, I do have  AFIB. they were surprised to find that.  He did a cardioversion because he said he couldn't do an ablation.  I am now wearing and event monitor  for 30 days. I have a feeling he wants me to go on coumadin.  I don't want to do that because I am very active and I am petrified of bleeding out.  when I went to my accupuncturist she said she believes it is happening because of the sympathetic nerve due to the stress I have been under.  I also read where taking 40mg of vitaminB6 helps the arrhythmia.  What are your thoughts on my situation.
Thanks,
Patty
I am not sure what your concern about "bleeding out" is, or based on.  Do you experience a lot of accidental cuts or there causes of bleeding?  I have been on Coumadin/Warfarin for at least 10 years, more I think... and have never had a problem with running or bike riding, or using my table or radial arm saw, or a chain saw.... When I accidentally cut myself, always minor, I think it bleeds a bit more than if I had full coagulation, but I've never had trouble stopping the bleeding.  I also do not have much trouble maintaining the correct INR range of 2 to 3.  

The other real good news here is I've not had a stroke or even a diagnosed blood clot during this time.  The stroke can completely stop an "active life" as well as kill, as I am sure you know.

If your AFib is intermittent and the only other stroke risk factor you have is your age (still young in today's measures) you may be able to get by with a aspirin a day to protect against stroke.  It is worth discussing with your doctor(s).  

P.S.  I was in normal sinus rhythm during much of the past 10 years following electrocardioversions (more than one) and I took drugs to help hold me there. I also took Warfarin "Just in Case".
I am curious to know why your Dr. said he "can't" do an ablation?...is he an Electrophysiologist?  If you don't know when you are in a-fib and if you are in it for more than 48 hrs at a time then you probably should be on a blood-thinner.  I've been on Coumadin for 2 yrs and had an ablation in Sept. for a-fib.  Like Jerry, I have not had a problem with taking a blood-thinner.  And it sure beats the alternative....having a stroke.
I've been on Coumadin since January 2011 and other than having to adjust the dose a couple of times, have had no problems.  You do have to be checked out if you fall and hit your head, but I agree with LindaTX, a stroke could be way worse than the possibility of a problem with a blood thinner.  You don't bleed that easily if you stay within the guidelines.  I just got a checker that I use at home and can check it once a week.  I know a woman who's been on it for 30 years with no ill effects.  She has to check it once a month.
Thanks everyone for your info. I will be seeing the doctor again in 2 weeks.  What are the limitations while you are on coumadin?
Personally, I have not had any limitations or restrictions placed on me at all.  Like Delta said, you have to stay within your INR range, mine is 2-3 and for myself it is quite easy to stay within that parameter.  I have to tell you, as a side note, I was one of those a-fibbers who went kicking and screaming into the realm of coumadin (warfarin) but I had experienced a 4 day episode of a-fib.  My Dr met me at the ER and was going to cardiovert me electrically but as I walked through the door my a-fib converted to NSR on it's own.  Great relief but my Dr. sat me down and said point blank, "You can either go on a blood-thinner or sit back and wait for a stroke."  I chose the blood-thinner and have felt relieved that I am relatively protected from that awful fate. Also there is a new one out now called Pradaxa, I think.
You do have to watch your diet and not overdo on the Vit K but I think most people do not have a problem with being on blood-thinners.
The only limitations that I have found are eat limitation oh yeah contact sports :) I have been on coumadin for 7 years and unfortunately I have not been as lucky as the others in this forum. I have a hard time keeping my INR in range, but that is because I have a very complex medicine regimen, and I have other health issues like diabetes. I have had an INR of 10, had to spend a couple of days in the hospital getting vitamin k shots because I had blood in my urine. But if you compare that to how long I have been on coumadin it is not so bad one incident in 7 years. At this time I get my INR checked every 2 weeks with a finger *****. Back to limitations...I love green vegetables... so I have to eat them on a regular basis so that the amount of coumadin does not have to be changed often.
You might check on this also...I read somewhere awhile back that there is a segment of the general population who do have a problem controlling their INR.  I believe the Dr. can test you to see if you are part of that segment.
thanks again for all of your imput.  This really helps.