Dual chamber shut off
I have had a dual chamber pacer since I was 25. I'm 54 now. Six months ago, my NEW cardiologist shut off the
Ventricular side of the Dual chamber device because the leads eroded & were no longer pacing. Since that event, I have recurring episodes of a strained feeling (tightness) after any type of activity. Sometimes, labored breathing. A recent stress test showed no abnormalities. Nevertheless, I'm always uncomfortable, whether laying down or not.  however my cardiologist insists it's my imagination. Does anyone have advice on my options? In this state of NC, there are limited cardiologists. Most doctors have grouped together into one care unit. It's not a simple matter of finding another cardiologist, whereas in my home state of Colorado, most doctors are still independent. I relocated almost two years ago and have regretted moving ever since.    
Well, with Hurricane "Earl" coming toward NC, I hope you are not close to the shore.

Yep, second opinion sounds right, but you've already explored that.  Maybe a web-based discussion (for a fee) with the doctors at Cleveland Clinic (one example) will help get you confirming or conflicting advice.  You'll have to get your medical test information, best if electronic but you may be able to mail it in too.

I know nothing specific, but it seems strange to me that a long time effective pacemaker arrangement would be shut off... but I guess the bad leads had already shut the subject part off.  Right?  If true, why is there any difference with the shutdown?
I, too, have a dual lead pacer and know when things are not pacing well, I am not happy.  Have you thought about going to the medical center associated with Duke University in Durham?  I know the drive is a bit long but probably worth your while.  If the V- lead is bad, then it probably needs to be replaced. (Generally they just leave the old one in and place a new one.)  If the trip is out of the question, call them for a referral doc closer to you.  With a heart that is not pacing correctly, you feel out of sorts and zapped of energy.

Good luck to you.
ksig