Heart Rhythm Community
Experiences with cardioversion in the ER?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

I am wondering who has been cardioverted in the hospital ER because of their arrhythmia?  If so, what was your experience like?  Mine was almost a year ago when I had a case of sustained A Fib brought on by SVT.  I have been a stress case since then, worrying if I have a condition that the doctors have not been able to find.  I am 27M, and am hoping that other people's similar experiences will put me at ease.  I have since been diagnosed with SVT, but my doctor doesnt seem concerned that it is anything more serious... all tests came back ok, including echo.
I have had adenosine cardioversion and shock cardioversion in the ER , Not all at once mind you. But over the last 15 years.

The adenosine cardioversion did not work real well mainly because it scared me so bad. It is made to actually stop your heart for a few seconds so the heart can restart in a normal rhythm..Kinda like a comp reboot only it 's your heart. the anxiety was to much.

Electric cardioversion worked alot better. They gave me meds to calm me and a little versed so I wasn't supposed to remember the experience. I am one of thoses people tho. that versed doesn't erase my short term memory well..

I did not have anything else wrong with my heart except the SVT and have had 2 ablations to fix the problem. The last one a week ago today. IF you trust your doctor and he says nothing else is wrong then maybe you just need to take something for anxiety. Or try some relaxation techniques.

If you feel that there is really something wrong and they just haven't found it yet then maybe you should get a second opinion.

Remember we all have different experiences and what works for me may not work for you. I hope this helps.

Just a side note. My SVT started when I was 20 and I am now 37.I too felt that my doctor was not concerned enough,at first, but he has been right..It seems that most of us with arrythmias are more in tune with our heartbeats than others. So we notice every little thing.