Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Heart Murmur in 5 year old

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Heart Murmur in 5 year old

Thank you for your time.  Yesterday we went to our pediatrician for my 5 year old's annual check-up.  The dr. spent a long time listening to her chest and then said she has a heart murmur.  He referred us to a pediatric cardiologist.  I'm pretty concerned because our family history isn't too great...my dad has a murmur, RBBB and SVT, grandfather suffered 3 heart attacks and passed away, uncle had heart attack and lives, grandmother has SVT, aunt has tachycardia and I myself the mom have SVT.  How concerned should I be?  What can I expect at my daughter's cardiology appt?  Thanks so much.

momto3girls
Pediatricians have a low threshold to refer to a pediatric cardiologist.  They want to make sure they don't miss any significant problems.  I would not be that concerned because they referred you.  The cardiologist will be able to tell you whether the murmur sounds significant.  They will likely order an echocardiogram to determine exactly what the murmur is from.  

You are going to be worried.  It is your child -- there is nothing that you can do to prevent yourself from worrying.  This is normal.  Your doctor will take a short history and then do the physical exam.  It is likely that they will recommend an echocardiogram.  Don't worry if they do -- that is pretty standard.  My guess is the appointment will not be as bad as you think -- you are probably imagining worst case scenarios.  Clear your mind and try not to worry too much.

I hope this helps.
Thank-you for your kind advice.  I am worried, comes with the territory I guess when you're a mom!  However, I will try to keep as calm as possible so my little girl doesn't sense anything is wrong.  It was just difficult to hear at her regular check-up that she has a heart murmur out of the blue.  The pediatric cardiologist is seeing us on Tuesday to do the echo and ekg.  Thanks again for your response, I'm sure your time is limited yet you still take the time answer questions.  I really appreciate it.  Take care.

momto3girls