Aa
A
A
Close
4569680 tn?1359584001
PVC's/PAC's and Alcohol
I have benign PVC's and PAC's.  Blood pressure normal, blood oxygen level normal, EKG, Stress test, ECHO, ECHO stress test, halter monitor, all normal.  My problem is a problem of many, which is, when I drink alcohol, the next day I get PVC's and PAC's.  I know this is VERY common due to the threads on the internet.  But the last couple of times I have drank alcohol, I've had a couple PVC's or PAC's while drinking.  I am not a heavy drinker (well since about two years ago), and I do enjoy a glass of wine from time to time, but am scared I will go into a dangerous heart rhythm.  Should I be worried?  Does alcohol make my PVC's/PAC's dangerous?
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
In some people, the combination of PACs and alcohol withdrawal does seem to be able to initiate atrial fibrillation.  I know first hand because that is what happened to me.  I would note though that I had been drinking very heavy for 3 straight nights, had been using tobacco, was heavily caffinated and was on a nasal decongestant.  I was also stressed and dehydrated so I had the entire gamut of risk factors covered.

Had I been drinking in moderation without the other factors and had I stayed hydrated, the doctors doubt I would have went afib.  With that in mind, there is evidence that PACs and alcohol can lead to afib; however, everyone is different so who knows.  Drinking in moderation even w/ PACs will not necessarily lead to afib in everyone, but it's definitely something to be careful with as afib begets afib so avoiding even a single episode is optimal.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Top Arrhythmias Answerers
Recent Activity
Blank
Nsvt commented on nsvt
Dec 01
Blank
Karismatico commented on Marathon Running Done...
Nov 28
Blank
Heart Rhythm Community Resources