Heart Rhythm Community
Sinus arrhythmia is driving me crazy.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Sinus arrhythmia is driving me crazy.

I am a 22 y/o seemingly healthy Male.  My heart seems to increase or decrease by how I breath and now that i've noticed that it does this it is driving me mad and increasing my anxiety levels 100%.  I had a holter monitor done and my heart did this during the test (I marked it with the button on the device as an event) and my doctor said I was just fine and it was all sinus. I cant seem to stop focusing on it and it seems like it's worse when i focus on it because sometimes I dont breath right when i'm feeling my pulse, so I can feel it better,  So then it acts even weirder.  But it definitely goes along with how I breath.  Fast when I breath in slower when I breath out.  Sometimes i can feel it kinda thump a bit when it slows down, but usually only when I'm feeling my pulse...  It seems to do it more when i'm anxious but lately it does it nearly all the time even when i'm standing up, when i'm walking it beats normal though..

What can I do to stop focusing on this?  I can't seem to stop...
Dave Matthews Band fan??  Just wonderin'....lol

Hello

The good news is that what you are describing is really common.  As you already know, the bad news is the more you think about your heartbeat, the more anxiety you have.  Do you notice that when you are busy (working, school, doing stuff with friends) that you become less aware?  Great news that you were able to record an "event" on your Holter monitor.  That really helps the doctor to correlate your symptoms to your heartrate.  

Some people do breathing exercises to help get refocused.  Try "square breathing" and see if it helps...

You will take deep breaths in through your nose, and out through your mouth.  Think of nothing but the breathing pattern while you are doing this exercise.

Begin by taking in a slow, deep breath to the count of four
Hold to the count of four
Exhale to the count of four
Hold to the count four.....
Repeat

You'll be OK, you've just got to get past the anxiety and get refocused...Let us know how you're doing.

Connie

yes I love dave matthews band.  this is driving me to the point that i worry about it ALL the time.  I am constantly checking my pulse.  This just doese't feel normal, you know?  I guess it is normal but I just cant seem to get passed the strange feeling of it.  do alot of people have this?  is it supposed to happen all the time or just when i'm at rest?  because sometimes it will do it when im standing up... but when i'm walking or exercising it does'nt do it.  Also i notice when im going up some stairs, when im done i can feel my heart thump when it goes to slow down from walking up the stairs, i dunno if thats normal or not either....
It's the worry that is probably at the root of your continuing "weird" beats.  That's the tough part...But, as you said when you are busy (walking, etc), you either don't notice it, or it isn't happening.  I remember my doctor telling me to "keep running" because when I was moving (according to a stress test), I had not extra beats.  Obviously that was impossible, so the next best thing was to believe the beats weren't going to hurt me....That was about 30 years ago : )  See, that's good.

Yes, it is very common.  However, some people don't even notice the extra beats....My daughter had a recent stress test and they told her she was in bigeminy (PVC every other beat) and she had no idea...said she has never felt anything.  WHAT?  But, that's how it is for some people.

For those of us who feel the beats, and are unnerved by them, the tough part is accepting them as benign.  Very common to feel the hard beats/ectopics after climbing stairs.  I especially notice that when I have not been getting enough exercise. Try to stay busy and active and I'll bet before you know it, you'll be feeling lots better.

Great band!

connie
thank you so much, I have no one who understands how i feel or what im going through and everyone just shrugs it off, or gets real angry with me.  they just dont understand how hard it can be to be anxious about everything 24/7.  I'm glad there are people who can understand out there.  I havebeen feeling so alone.  I wish there was a group meeting I could go to around where I am locally, I think it would make me atleast 25% better
This of the forum as a "group meeting".  We meet anytime, anyplace and we really do understand : )

You are not alone and we are here whenever you need/want to post or just say hello.

I was just at the ER last week with tachycardia and I got to ask the Dr. some questions about a few things that bother me. One of the questions was is it normal for the heart to speed up when you breath in and slow down when you breat out. He told me that it is normal and I only notice it because I'm always taking my pulse. Like you I check my pulse all the time. It is driving me crazy also. He also told me it's normal for your heart to speed up when you stand or switch positions.
I really sympethise with you too, i've been having issues with tachycardia also - but now it just seems like i've become totally over-anxious about the whole ordeal. It's really difficult to stop feeling anxious when you think something's wrong with you but the cardiologists/doctors say everything is fine.

If you find a way to stop worrying, let me know :)
I'm your age as well - it's not nice having this feeling at all, especially when we're so young and are supposed to be carefree!
A sinus arrhythmia is 100% harmless and, in fact, is an indication of a healthy balance between the sympathetic and parasympathetic divisions of the autonomic nervous system.
The autonomic nervous system controls heart rate, blood pressure, breathing, digestion, etc...basically, it keeps everything in check. The sympathetic nervous systems speeds up the heart, while the parasympathetic nervous system slows it down. When you breathe in, the vagus nerve (part of the parasympathetic nervous system that controls heart rate) is inhibited, thereby causing the heart rate to increase. When you breathe out, it is activated, causing the heart rate to slow down.
I too am 22 and have the exact same issue. It used to be very intense, but has settled down significantly. You will probably grow out of it soon; it is very, I repeat, VERY normal for people our age to experience this. Our bodies are still developing, and in time, it will most certainly become less intense. It is better to have this arrhythmia than to not have it, as is is not "technically" an arrhythmia, just a normal, physiolocial response. Don't be afraid, it won't kill you...promise.

- Ben