Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
Skipped Heartbeat

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

Skipped Heartbeat

I find that occasionally I have what I would describe as a skipped heartbeat.  If I am taking my pulse and it happens, I notice a skipped beat and kind of a flutter in my chest.  I exercise regularly doing a variety of areobic things, rowing, bicycling, running.  Mostly rowing.  I frequently use a heart rate monitor and during intense effort my heart rate may get into the 160s.  My resting rate is sometimes in the 40s.  This skipped beat doesn't cause any pain or shortness of breath or anything but it is noticeable and somewhat unnerving.  Is this something I should be concerned about?
The best answer I can give is probably not.  You should talk to your doctor about it. They can check and EKG and do a history and physical.  If there is any concerns, they also check an echocardiogram and stress test.  If all the tests are negative, there is virtually no concern.  If you have symptoms every day,  a 24 hour monitor can probably record and event.  The usually cause is a premature beat from the atrium or ventricle.  If you have a  structurally normal heart and normal EKG, there is no danger from these events.  Skipped beats are a very frequent reason for an office consult.  Rarely is it more than a premature atrial or ventricular beat.  Best to talk to your doctor to see what if any tests are indicated.
For what it's worth, I'm a 62 year old male who runs 40-50 miles a week...i've been suffering skipped beats for over 40 years, on and off.  There is no rhyme or reason to them....when i rarely use caffine, etc., i still get them...sometimes they disappear for months...currently they are back...Sometimes i get them when i run and sometimes after i run...sometimes they never show up...i've had all the tests and everything's normal....what got my attention in your post though was your heartrate....my resting heartrate is in the low 40s.  My cardiologist says that the slower your heartrate the healthier you are however, the slower the rate, the more likely to have skips...kind of a double-edge sword....anyway, don't worry, you're fine...they still drive me crazy when i get them but i really try not to think about them....sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't
I get those, too.  They seem related to having stomach gas, and concetrating on belching that out has helped me.  I also drink a lot more water than I used to and that may be helping.

Vagus nerve involved, maybe?  Opinions?
My wife has a story of high blood presure since her teen age.  Recently she goes for checkup in a hospital.  In her EKG the doctor says, her heart bit is erregular.  Her heart skip beat every 4 beats.  What would the right thing for us to do.

Thank you.

Vill314
A related discussion, Have a question about thud in chest. was started.