Heart Rhythm Expert Forum
These symptoms are destroying my life!! Help!!

Questions in the Heart Rhythm forum cover topics that include heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

So, here is a little about me:
I am 25 years old, female, i have two sons-ages 5 and 18 mo. I started smoking at age 14- and quit during both pregnancies. I know this is a cause of some of my symptoms, so that is why I am mentioning it. I am currently not smoking but I have a pattern of quitting for a week, smoking for two, and then panicking and quitting again. It's rediculous.
In November '07, I was driving to my math study group and out of nowhere, I suddenly felt like I couldn't breathe, my fingers and lips were tingling, and I literally thought I was going to die. It would build and then right when I thought I was going to pass out, it subsided. Well, I had to inch my way home and pull over every few blocks. Ever since that day, my life has been a living hell. I have gone to the ER several times thinking I was having a heart attack or was dying of lung cancer. They did find a tiny spot on my lung in Nov. The doctor said that it was most likely a scar from a previous infection, based on my age. He gave me some arbuterol and ativan and sent me on my way.

I have gone to the ER two more times since then after experiencing extreme heart palps. It's feels like my heart skips a beat, then follow with two stronger beats. It's scary, because they can get so bad that I think I'll just drop dead. It's always worse after more than two beers and  smoking. Hello. Both times at the hospital, a heart attack was ruled out and I was diagnosed with an irregular heart beat and anxiety. All EKG's have been normal.I also have a murmur that I have had since childhood. I have an appt. with the cardiologist tomorrow. I am really nervous as  am expecting to hear the worst. I always feel like I can't breathe, even though my oxygen levels are normal and my lungs are clear. What is going on with me??!!! I feel like I'm knocking on death's door here.

It sounds like panic anxiety.  Talk to your doctors and you are going to have to trust their judgement.  Try not to let your mind run away on you and talk to your doctor about treatments for anxiety.
You are truly not alone here. Many people experience exactly what you explained. The good news is that your EKG's have all been normal and you have an appointment with a cardiologist tomorrow. I certainly cannot diagnose you problem but can say from what you describe as your symptoms, it sounds like PAC's and or PVC's or both. If you do not have heart disease these irregular beats will not kill you. You also mentioned a heart murmur, are you referring to mitral valve prolapse?

Secondly, anxiety can really do a number on you. I know that when you don't know what's wrong with you anxiety levels will soar. For now, I think you should take a deep breath and try to relax. Tomorrow will be here before you know it and you'll hopefully get the answers you are looking for.

Good luck :)
Hey thanks Brooke. I really appreciate your quick and friendly response. I went to the cardiologist and had an echo done. Turns out my heart is structurally normal with some trace mitral regurgitation (he said even that was very common due to the sensitivity of the test). The doc said my lungs sound great and if I just stopped smoking and cut back on the beer (I tend to drink 3 or 4 after the kids are in bed--bad, I know!), and get help with the kids occasionally, I'd probably feel a lot better.

Well, duh. It's time for me to make a lifestyle change now. I think my body and my heart are trying to tell me something and if I keep putting it off until tomorrow, eventually tomorrow will be too late. My kids will thank me later too.

Thanks again!
Chelsea