Heart Rhythm Community
Warfarin and sub diaphragmatic pain (worse after being in bed)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

My 76 year old father was put on Warfarin as a precaution for what his internist believes to be an atrial arrythmia ("or extrea beats"). Last Fall he started experiencing pain in his upper abdomen, feeling like it is up under his diaphragm. He takes the warfarin right before going to bed at night, and this pain wakes him up every night around 4 in the morning. (severe pain). He gets up has tea and an english muffin and eventually the pain diminishes for the rest of the day (low grade discomfort, but tolerable). They just ordered stool samples, and he is having an upper GI this week. (They actually did a hernia repair on his right side a couple of months ago in the hope that maybe that was the problem........although they didn't really believe that it was the source). What do you think this could be? Hiatal hernia, gallstones, ulcer? Can taking the pill at night and then laying flat be the cause??? We are perplexed
You may do better putting your post on forums under the subject areas you question:  Hiatal hernia, gallstones, ulcer, stomach...

As for warfarin, it has the potential for many bad side effects, but to my memory they are all in the areas of bleeding problems.  The list if side effects is widely available, and a search on Warfarin and/or Coumindin on this forum will surely give a lot of information on that medication.

I have taken 5 mg of warfarin daily for about 10 years, I can not associated it with any pain problems.