Heart Rhythm Community
What could have caused these symptoms?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to heart rhythm issues, arrhythmia, irregular heartbeat, implanted defibrillators, pacemakers, and tachycardia.

What could have caused these symptoms?

When I was about 15/16, I had panick attacks. I noticed that, when I was not having panick attacks, my heart would feel as though it skipped a beat then pounded to make up for it. It would last a few seconds. But I would get several of these "palpitations" throughout the day. If I suddenly changed my breathing pattern, like lets say i suddenly held my breath or took a quick breath inwards as I bent down or got up, I would get these "palpitations". Same thing if it was really hot out, if I had too much sugar. But sometimes, it wouldn't be just one missed beat and a couple hard beats. All of a sudden my heart would skip a beat, but then go so fast I couldn't count my pulse (over 200 for sure, no chest pain).  It would last 30-60 seconds then all of a sudden, I feel nothing. My pulse is so slow and so weak I barely feel it. This lasts another 30-60 seconds but over time my pulse increases gradually as I inhale, almost stops as I exhale and eventually evens itself out and goes back to normal. Othertimes my blood pressure would just drop out of the blue and I would gently fall to the floor, concious, but life would be in slow motion for a bit until I came to. Sometimes it feels like there is no "beat" but just a wavering, like my heart became a squishy sponge for a couple seconds, then it goes back to pumping and beating. I saw a cardiologist from 15-17 years old, she said I might have arrythmia but never found a single thing wrong with me (besides blood pressure being somewhat low, 90/50, but heart ultrasounds, EKGs, stress tests were all normal) and over time I stopped having these episodes, so they said I was fine. They suggested maybe the electrical pulse doesn't always go the right direction, causing my arrythmia.  I've gotten only a few minor palpitations since, mostly when I feel ill. A few times my bf (when I was 18-22) would be listening to my heart beat and say "whats up with your heart beat, it has no rythm!", but I don't even notice it.

Is what I had really nothing to worry about? Was it something I grew out of? Was it entirely caused by anxiety?

(For reference, I am now 25, female, 105lbs, 5'3, no family history of heart problems what-so-ever)
It sounds like you had some pacs/pvcs that maybe triggered an svt but since it wasn't captured one can't say for sure.  The low bp could be related to some autonomic disfunction but it is possible at the time you had some sort of virus that was affecting your heart and it cleared itself up.  I guess I would want some clarification by what your bf means when he says your heart has no rhythm but in the absence of symptoms of shortness of breath, a fast beat, chest pain, or fainting you really don't have anything to worry about.  If you do have an accessory pathway svt you may have it reoccur in the future but it is not a life threatening condition and one that can be treated if it presents itself again.  One thing I will note, you are underweight for your height.  You may want to go and get your electrolytes checked with a full blood panel and possibly even have your thyroid checked.  Hyperthyroidism can cause heart rhythm problems and low body weight.  But considering you feel fine now I really don''t think you have anything to worry about.  Take care.
Thanks for the reply!

My blood pressure is always in the 90/50-60 zone when I go to the doctor's, it wasn't a one-time reading.

My bf meant that my heart beat isn't consistant, it doesn't have a steady pattern. I know sometimes when I take my pulse it's not a steady beat and sometimes it is, but I never realised it happened when I was relaxed too. It's like my heart beats in morse code. But never any shortness of breath or chest pain or actual fainting.

I have always had a low BMI, its normal for me, I have a small frame, and I eat plenty! I have had my thyroid checked and it is fine.

I tend to hover around the lower end of normal bp 100/70 but not quite as low as you.  I actually find if I do not have enough salt in my diet my bp will go pretty low and I will start to feel lightheaded and get blackouts on standing well I feel like I am blacking out on standing a lot regardless but since your bp is so low you might want to try to add a little salt to your diet as well though I would consult your doctor first but if you have a super low sodium diet adding a few salty foods may benefit you.  And though I can't say for certain because I have not seen your heart beat it sounds like you may have some pacs or pvcs.  They are extra beats that arise from different areas of the heart.  These beats disrupt the normal beat cycle and cause the heart to pause a beat as the heart resets itself.  Unless you get a bunch of the errant beats in a row they are of no consequence and considering you don't feel any other troubling symptoms you are likely fine but you may want to try to put a little more weight on.  Like I said, you are underweight and it could be partly why your bp is low and your heart is a bit off but in general it sounds like you don't have too much to worry about as far as your heart is concerned.  Finally try not to stress too much about what is going on with your heart.  The stress will definitely make pvcs/pacs worse.  Take care, if you have any other questions let me know.
Have you ever worn any event monitor like a holtor or 7 day king of hearts, they should pick up a lot of what is going on. Without those tests, I would think it would be rather difficult to tell what is going on.

I do get intense cravings for salt sometimes, especially when I'm feeling sluggish, maybe its connected. But I normally don't like salt outside of these cravings and never use salt when I cook. I don't think I could put on weight, while I have a pretty healthy diet overall, I eat quite a lot and never stop myself from indulging in anything. I don't gain muscle weight from exercise either. I too have to be careful when I'm very relaxed and suddenly stand up, I get dizzy and see black with sparkles for a couple seconds! I have had a monitor that was suppose to be used whenever I "felt something" to record it, but I was rarely able to get an episode, they didn't last long enough or I had no warning.

I wonder though, since I have a bit of a health phobia and get so stressed at the doctors, sometimes I feel my heart pounding (the normal kind, not palpitations) and they take my blood pressure, and the reading is still so low! I wonder if the stress isn't increasing my BP and normally its even lower!!! Is that possible?
Even if you had no warning or they were short you still should have recorded the event because those event recorders record constantly for some time before and after so the doctor can see what was happening right as your heart started to beat fast.  So are you saying you didn't ever record an event while you had the monitor?  Well anyways if you continue to notice fast beats even if they are short go back to your cardiologist and try again.  The episodes can be short and the fact that you sense they start and stop suddenly does suggest classic accessory pathway svt.  

Yes, I will crave salty foods too.  Our bodies just know if we'd only listen sometimes lol.  The low bp on standing causing you to feel as though you may pass out is called POTS, postural orthostatic hypotension syndrome.  Blood pools in the lower extremities and when we get up too fast our hearts or brains can't compensate fast enough.  I think it is a milder form of dysautonomia.  It could be worse.  People with full blown dsyautonomia have all sorts of issues even being able to stand in general without passing out so I will take this anyday.  I just have to remember to get some salt in if I start to feel more faint than usual.  

Most definitely stress will increase your bp.  I am always nervous when I go to the doctor.  Not sure why but I am and my bp is a bit more elevated when I am in the doctors office though it is usually around normal 120/80 when I do tend towards it being lower when not stressed.  So I would say there is probably a good 10 point difference when you stress out from when you are totally relaxed.   And considering you are super low to begin with you likely would still stay low in the doctors office.