long time poster here...
51 yr old female..had benign palpitations/skipped beats for about 19 years now. LONG TIME! I post here once in a while, when they get so bad that I need to just hear from people LIKE me, that they experience it too. Well, its that time. I have anxiety as well, so that just complicates everything. Have had major major stress in my life for years, but its quadrupled in the past 7 months, lost my beloved mom to cancer, and my dad has had health issues constantly since then--and lives 2 hours away so Im traveling back and forth..plus work..so you get the picture..im stressed. Had my yearly physical in July--all came back fine except overweight of course...all my vitals were good, even tho I have high BP, but is well controlled (norm 128/82)and high cholesterol which is virtually non existant on my med there...but I suffer from the darn palps. I have them EVERY SINGLE DAY. some days worse, much worse than others. I take Metoprolol to try to eliminate some of them.. and Enalapril both used also for blood pressure. I have xanax for the anxiety. But I am so TIRED of the palps every day. Some days they are minimal...but then I get on a roll with them, and  they are relentless...I try to lay down to sleep, and its skipping and jumping...I just feel like any moment will be the last beat. What a way to live, huh? Anyone else feel this way? Ive had every test over the years except an angiogram...no need for that. Ive worn a holter, not this year, but every other year...and i range around 5000-7000 PACs with some PVCs as well...so my cardio wont even begin to think about ablation....they tell me, "try not to think about them"...and " keep busy".... ya!!!! so easy for them to say that!!!! When they are going strong, ( like now) Im not really short of breath, but...its like...they "take up space" in my heart..if that makes sense. like they cause me to feel like theres alot of activity in my chest!!!! Drives me crazy. Am I alone like this????
"but I suffer from the darn palps. I have them EVERY SINGLE DAY. some days worse, much worse than others. I take Metoprolol to try to eliminate some of them.. and Enalapril both used also for blood pressure. I have xanax for the anxiety. But I am so TIRED of the palps every day. Some days they are minimal...but then I get on a roll with them, and  they are relentless...I try to lay down to sleep, and its skipping and jumping...I just feel like any moment will be the last beat. What a way to live, huh? "

We may have discussed this before, but during 'bouts' of these things, I have close to 5K per day.  As you say, it's nerve-wracking, but we both understand (right?) that after so many exams, our lives are not in danger.

I always say that it's a matter of going to the right doctor for a problem.  If we have bone and joint issues, we go to an orthopedist or a rheumatologist.  If it's cancer, we go to an oncologist.  And if it's fear, then we go to a nice shrink, who will find a way to help us control the fear, even if we cannot control the extrasystoles.

This approach helped me get my life--and the pleasure in my life--back.  If you have not tried it, I recommend it.  A warning, I guess:  Some medication may be required, and ironically, for those who have a fear of medication, medication MAY be necessary.  ;-)

For those totally opposed to any meds, a lovely and cheap little old paperback by Dr. Claire Weekes might be helpful.  It's titled "Hope and Help for Your Nerves."  She provides info about the physiology of these odd heartbeats as well as little mental exercises to deal with them.

I do know what you mean when they get going really bad that it just feels like your heart is all over the place.  I am with achillea.  Really do what you need to do to try and work through stress and anxiety.  Find some books, research online, see a therapist if it feels right.  If you can figure out how to let go of control of the things in your life that you really can't control you may find that your stress goes down and your ectopics go down as well.  I might also suggest trying to give yourself a good coughing fit when it seems like the little buggers get caught up in a flurry.  I do think like an svt the ectopic beats can get kind of stuck as well so see if you can disrupt them some way and get them to stop.  But make sure you do your best to also center and steady your breathing as much as possible.  Calming your breathing down can work wonders to calm the heart down.  Well I wish you much luck as you navigate your life and taking care of your dad.  It is tough when loved ones get sick but just remember to take it one day at a time or even just one hour at a time and maybe the overwhelm feelings won't feel so overwhelming.  Take care and stay strong.

Please, if you are still on this site, message me. I have some information I would like to share with you regarding an illness I was diagnosed with last year. Your complaints sound so similar to mine, and I was misdiagnosed for six years. Who knows -- I may be able to help, hopefully.

Thanks, and best regards,

Brandi