Heartburn Expert Forum
Upper Left Abdominal Pain

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to Heartburn and include Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Medical Treatments, Surgical Treatments, and Symptoms.

Upper Left Abdominal Pain
In 2003 I was diagnosed with GERD and having been taking Protonix for it ever since. I also had my gallbladder removed the same year for stones. In the past month I started to experience a pressure/bloating type pain in my upper abdominal area, just below the rib cage that came & went. It kind of felt like a band being squeezed. Then with no warning, I woke up one weekend to a stabbing pain in the upper left side, just under the rib cage. I have been suffering with it ever since. Sometimes the stabbing pain goes away but I still experience the bloating/pressure. My family doctor had blood work & an abdominal ultra sound and all came out ok. Food doesn't seem to effect it, or sometimes I will get some pressure or pain a couple hours after eating. Occassionally, I will experience alot of gurgling or noise and then I will be ok. The pain will sometimes radiate to my back, center and/or right side. The oddest symptom is muscle pain. It feels better to lay down flat but if I am sitting up, walking, etc it will get worse and anything that requires me to use the muscle in the upper abdominal area causes pain. I made an appointment with a gastro. specialist but he can't see me for a month. I should also note that I suffered from gastritis about 20 years ago when I was a teenager but my symptoms are nothing like those I had at the time. Is this possibly a complication from GERD or could it be something else? Any help would be appreciated!!
difficult to say what the diagnosis is yet
would suggest asking for an endoscopy as next step
Thanks Linda, I took a look but don't believe that is the problem. To the Dr... just wanted to note that today is the first day this has happened - I had the same exact pain in almost the same exact spot but on the right side this time.