Hepatitis B Community
Change of stool colors?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Change of stool colors?

Ever since I started Tenofovir, I noticed my stools have changed colors. Some days a very light brown... other days more like a greenish yellow. Should I be concerned? Is this from the meds? Or is this the Hep B doing this? Obviously my concern is early Cirohiss but my doctor says I don't have it or anything else other than Hep B.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, changes in stool consistency can occur due to the medication. The most common adverse reactions with Tenofovir (incidence greater than or equal to 10%,) identified from 3 large controlled clinical trials include rash, diarrhea, headache, pain, depression, weakness and nausea. Regards.
dont you monitor liver by fibroscan to know how it is?taking antivirals without checking liver is fool
Thanks! I had darrhea & nausea the first two weeks this started but it went away. Some headaches here in there, nothing intense. Since my original post, the stool colors have been somewhat normalized.
Stef, of course I do! It's actually part of the clinical trial. However, the Fibroscan is only done every 3 months on the clinical trial. All other liver function tests are done monthly. I'm safe here and am tolerating the medication fairly way and remain pretty active.
if your baseline fibroscan was normal less than 5kpa and under antivirals liver damage is impossible from hbv
a low viral load can do damage to the liver ?
yes because what matters is not viral load in blood but in the liver and they are very different.
when hbvdna is und in blood it is low in the liver but whe low in blood it can be higher in the liver and make some damage

it is not only hbvdna to make liver damage but oxidative stress, so checking oxidative stress regularly (few good labs have these type of tests) and taking antioxidants to correct it may allow no liver damage even if hbvdna is low/high