HBV DNA PCR QUERY
I have recently received some results.  Could you please give me more insight into the interpretation of them in particular the DNA result. Is a normal level 0?
My results are:
HBV DNA PCR  4200 IU/ml
HBsAg    Positive
HBsAb    <10
HBcAb    Positive
HBCIgM  Negative
HBeAg    Negative

I will be having another blood test in 6 weeks.
Your labs likely indicate that you are a chronic e-antigen negative HepB carrier, also referred to as an inactive carrier.  Although the prognosis is very good, you should have regular monitoring to make sure that it stays an inactive disease and to screen for liver cancer since those with HepB are at a higher risk for that.

As long as your HBsAg is positive, you will have HBV DNA, so it won't be 0.  You just want to make sure it stays under 10,000 copies.

HBV DNA and ALT / AST is use to determine virus activity and liver cell injury.

Good luck and take care.
Thank you.  I am a little confused as I have been told that I am active at present.  My DNA is currently at 22 000 copies?  Can you explain what this means in relation to your first post?

DNA count will fluctuate, that is why you need monitoring.  If your 22,000 stays relatively the same or go down on a regular basis, that is a good sign of an inactive disease.  Your first post indicate 4200, now 22,000, and given that most MD consider over 10,000 as an active disease, I think that is why your MD thinks you have an active disease.  So keep track of your DNA count, if it keeps going up, it may very well indicate a natural mutant HepB strain that keeps reproducing (hence the increasing DNA), even though you are e-antigen negative (usual mark of an in-active disease not not always).  Good luck.