Hepatitis B Community
HBs Ag = 25.03 UI

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

HBs Ag = 25.03 UI

Hello Stef / Steven / Studyforhope

Please find below my brother's results after medical checking. He is 25.

2010
HBs Ag = positive
HBs Ab = negative
HVB DNA = 947 UI/ml
HBe Ag = negative
HBe Ab = positive
US = normal
Fibrotest = no fibrosis
probably genotype D considering the area where we live - Romania

2013
HBs Ag = positive
HBs Ag = 25.03 UI/ml

No other tests. No medication so far.

Could you please advise whether boosting immune system would be helpful? Some vaccine therapy?

Thank you!
HBs Ag = 25.03 UI/ml

wow so lucky if it is really so low peginterferon plus simvastatin like otan did will clear hbv in a very short time, otan cleared in less than 16 weeks but did not develop hbsab antibodies so kept pegintf for 48weeks and so hbsab developped

zadaxin and hbv vaccine can be used when hbsag gets und to make the antibodies, with hbsag detactable they are of little use, you may try but only peginterferon is sure to clear when hbsag is less than 1000iu/ml

i strongly suggest to find a good liver specialist or if there are none you may buy pegintf yourself and just have the liver specialist monitor therapy

the very bad thing is that most liver specialist don t care about final cure but just give drugs when status is bad
of course when status is bad like high hbsag and high hbvdna and liver specialists use pegintf the results are only 7% of clearance....so in the end it is just like they dont care about cure
in case you start pegintf please report to the community because it is always a pleasure to see members clearing and have reports on short time cleareance by peg on low hbsag
Thank you Stef for your answers.
I would like to find a good and up-to-date liver specialist although I have some doubts that I can manage to do so in Romania. The ones I have met so far didtn't seem to care about cure.

On the other side my brother is not willing to start pegintf; he is very much concerned about the sides. He feels pretty much alright now and he would like to keep it this way. He hopes that in time he will simply clear HBsAg with no medication.
However I know that there is very low chances that a self-clear to happen and I am afraid that in time his status will get worse if he is doing nothing for cure now.

Anyway I will try to find a good liver specialist that will care about cure and will manage to make my brother feel comfortable if pegintf needed.

Many thanks again and I will report to the community if he eventually starts pegintf.
you can find the following which has no sides but no prof they clear hbv:

gcmaf from gcmaf.eu, this will activate macrophages, since hbsag is so low it may work.injection, no sides

vitamin c liposomal form from livonlabs

increase vitamin d3 levels in blood to maximum normal range 80-90ng/ml

alinia 2-3g daily at meals, check older posts

but again it is easier to make pegintf and see if it has sides, it is very probable he wont experince sides and clear in few weeks
by the way it is good to make him aware that hbv has no symptoms and even those with liver cancer and cirrhosis feel good......
I think it is a good idea for your brother to monitor his HBsAg, hbvdna and ALT levels every 6 month or so. If HBsAg continues to fall, then he may clear his hbv without treatment, otherwise he may consider Interferon as Stef2011 suggested. I think regular exercise under the sun will make sure he has adequate level of Vitamin D and healthy immune system.  
i was thinking about natural intf and Maitake Mushroom Extract is reported to do so, maybe it ll work on such low hbsag and also alinia (nitazoxanide)

http://www.puritan.com/herbal-supplements-005/maitake-mushroom-extract-000445?ssl=1&

these two have no sides, i have no idea if alinia is available in romania, it is registered mainly for stomach infections of babies or immune suppressed, we have used generic nizonide500 by lupin here in the forum and it made a decline of hbsag close to 50% the first few months when hbvdna und by antivirals but it relapsed in all of us.
Thank you Stef and Stephen for your answers.

I have been checking older posts in the forum about gcmaf, alinia, vitamin D and also imiquimod.

I understand that they have no sides, except from imiquimod, so it would not be a problem for my brother to try them.

Considering his blood test resuly, most probably his status is inactive:
ALT = 31 (<50)
Total cholesterol = 150  (<200) - (I suppose this one looks alright as HBs Ag need cholesterol to multiplicate)
HDL = 67
LDL = 69
blood counts = OK except for neutrophil percentage which is a bit low = 40.8% (45 - 80) - this could be a constant fight against the virus?

His worry now is: would boosting immune system by taking vitamins, supplements, alinia etc., change his status from inactive to active and do any damage?  I mean HBs Ag raise level?

He also plans to take some bars & treats & vitamins from Puritan (he ordered them already) as he is practicing sport.
http://www.puritan.com/bars-treats-813/good-n-natural-cranberry-almond-bars-036810
http://www.puritan.com/mens-vitamins-006/one-daily-mens-multivitamin-with-lycopene-013046

As far as I know it is better to avoid protein bars...

he has already active immune response by boosting immune system he will just clear hbsag faster.there is no way hbv can reactivate on such low hbsag except by an hbsag mutation to occult hbv which has hbsag neg, hbsab pos, hbvdna und and normal ast-alt, despite all this damage is the same as before if not worst because the virus makes damage to cells from inside cells, it wont be our immune system anymore to make the damage

i have no idea of the percentage of risk to occut hbv for your brother, only studyforhope has enough knowledge on this

so the idea of bossting immune system is just to finish the remaining hbsag/cccdna faster before hbv can mutate

he is probably perfectly healthy, did he have fibroscan?as you may know we dont know if he has been inactive all the time so a fibroscan si best

as to data on tenofovir maybe he may clear by tenofovir too, again we have to ask studyforhope, anyway to sum up drugs with no sides that might clear:

zadaxin (no idea)
gcmaf (expensive)
tenofovir (cheap)
alinia (cheap if generic)
how to clear hbsag 25iu/ml, hbvdna 947iu/ml without peginterferon?

tenofovir?zadaxin?hbv vaccines?gcmaf?alinia?maybe a combo of all these?
Many thanks Stef for you quick and useful answers.

We will take into consideration all information received and hopefully my brother will take a good decision.

As regards occult hbv I completely forgot about it .... looks like an endless issue.

No, he didn't have fibroscan. Just fibrotest in 2010 (which is an invasive blood test measuring some parameters) but I understood that the result, being based on ALT level, it not so reliable. At that time fibrotest showed no fibrosis.
Nobody told us about fibroscan or HBs Ag quantity or vitamin D. I found all these here on this forum for which I am very greatful.
My brother will have fibroscan soon

any update from asianmale1985 after 52wks
concerned about high ALT & AST...

taking sevibo for 1 yr then i decided to undergo pegintf.
stop taking sevibo for 1 month then started the mono pegintf.

before taking sevibo
HBV Viral load 640M copies/ML

after 1 yr of sevibo
HBV Viral load is 37 iu/ml

before pegintf:
HBsAg II Quantification 1,392 iu/ml
HBV Viral Load 37 iu ml

results- 24 weeks of  Pegintf
HBV Viral load is <6 iu/ml or 35 copies/ml
HBsAg II Quantification 314.90 iu/Ml

I understand the result is good.

what worries me is the consistent  high ALT
and SGOT result is high also (although test done once only after 24wks of pegintf)

ALT 64.60        (declining results)
SGPT 42.11    

i have mild fibrosis result before pegintf .
what will be the effect of consistent high alt in my liver?

under pegintf and results after 24wks follows:
hbv dna <6  

Using only available treatments, the combo pegIFN and Zadaxin should have the the best chance to activate enough Tcell immunity to remove the remaining infected cells.
Vaccines without the HBV core antigen will have little effect. If a vaccine is used, it should be applied in Aldara creme prepped skin, intradermal. This would give a strong adjuvant effect and possibly activate surface antigen specific CTLs. The best actually available vaccine is the one only licensed and sold in Isreal, it contains not only surface, but also pres2 and preS1  segments, which make it way superior to Engerix. Unfortunately it is only available in Israel pharmacies.

But since he is hesitant to undergo the rigors of an interferon course one can only hope that some unknown internal factor will trigger a new wave of clonal activation.
It is also possible, that the remaining surface antigen level is caused by direct HBV DNA segmental integration into the hepatocyte genome with clonal expansion of this integrated cell. This can only be removed by a strong surface specific class I Tcell epitope directed CTl attack, for which there is little reason to occur at the current status.
Thank you!