Hepatitis B Community
Hbv DNA not detected means zero?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Hbv DNA not detected means zero?

Hi guys,

Got my Hbv DNA test result today <15 IU/ml = not detected, does it mean my viral load is zero? What's the difference between undetected and zero? My GP said I'm not infectious, but if there's still some copies of virus does it mean it's just so weak it cannot infect anyone?

first of all your doctor is very wrong, you are infectious by blood, very infectious, less infectious by other ways

hbvdna less than 15iu/ml is not zero because zero doesn t exsist, the infection is in the liver not in the blood, so making the test in the blood just tells you the hbvdna in the liver just got lower and also liver damage got lower or none

hbv life cycle is based on cccdna inside liver cells and hbsag reflects cccdna quant in liver cells, so hbvdna test alone has no meaning.you can just assume liver is having no damage because it is und but this is not always true and fibroscan must be done to ensure this and improvment
Thank you for your answer,

Well seems like i'm not chronic, I had Hep B 24 years ago,my Hbsag is negative, Hbsab total positive and anti-Hbs 747 iU/ml, so I just wanted to know if the hbv dna can show complete zero or it always shows undetectable figures
Does anyone know the difference between quantitative and qualitative PCRs? As long as I got it the results for Qualitative one will be either negative or positive, and for Quantitative - detected or not detected, am I right?

qualitative are useless nowadays and not used anymore in updated labs because you need quantitative monitoring for cronic (chronic) carriers

and for Quantitative - detected or not detected, am I right?

yes, you are right and that is useless