Hepatitis B Community
I am a Hepatitis B carrier, can I work at Child care in Australia

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

I applied for Child care study and I got a offer from school, but the offer said I need get evidence of immunization of Hepatitis B. I can't get that evidence because I have been infected. so what should I do now? I am confused and a little depressed now, I really hope I can do this job in the future for my career. Thanks, I will appreciate if anyone reply me,thanks a lot!
Tags: Hepatitis B child care, Hepatitis B, child care
I have active hep c and have been told by my daughter's school that I'm still allowed to volunteer with the children, and I'm not required to disclose my status to any body because that's discrimination.  I don't know the rules for employment however.  I would assume teacher's have to have the same vaccines as children, but they can't keep a child out of school if they are hep or hiv positive.  I would look up the laws in your state regarding employment, hep b, and working with children. It may be to protect you more than the kids.  I do know that hepatitis has been transmitted to teachers and day care workers because of exposure to the bodily fluids that young kids tend to spew everywhere.  One possible way I contracted hcv was during lead testing in preschool.  They cut the kids too much and they bled everywhere.  Most of them went through atleast 3 bandaids and I had some sores on my arms and legs at the time.  I don't know if any of the kids had hep and my daughter wasn't infected so this is only a possibility.

The vaccine may be to protect you more than the kids.  The kids are required to have the hep b vaccine, but if they can prove an allergy to the shot or actual infection with the virus they can get out of it.
There are privacy laws in Australia regarding disclosure of your health conditions in Australia. Also the rights of hbvers are  protected by laws. I suggest you discuss your case with the Hepatitis Australia:
http://www.hepatitisaustralia.com/

They have a National Infoline. They should be able to give you information and guidance.

A requirement of immunization does not necessary mean you are ineligible for employment/study in this area.
Thanks for your reply, runsincircles. Do you work in Australia also? It is good  you are allowed to volunteer with the children. Did you tell your daughter's school, or they ask you? I can't find anything about if my Hepatitis B influent child care work. All information I can find is to get immunization against it to protect yourself and children. but if some people who have been infected, what should they do? Can they work at Child care or not?Should them be honest to the company or employer? Will they not employ you because of that?
Thanks very much, Stephen. I will contact them to discuss my case, I really appreciate your information, it helps a lot!
Hi, just read your question regarding hep b carrier works in children services and would like to find out the outcome of your employment with the Childcare centre? Because I am facing the same situation as you did, and not sure what to do now.... I would appreciate your reply! Thank you.