Is sexual contact the only way to contract HepB? Was told by others that it was also food/saliva borne.
Is sexual contact the only way to contract HepB? Was told by others that it was also food/saliva borne. Didn't have it last year but now positive surface antigen. Only one partner in 25 years. PCP said it was definitely not present 16 months ago by past blood work. Trying to rule out contact from spouse who has yet to be tested. Thanks so much. Oh yes, I am 60 years old.
Thank you for your prompt response. I was tested 07/08/08, positive surface antigen. And, again 07/16/08, positive also and negative antibody, still awaiting envelope antigen. Liver enzymes normal, asymptomatic for disease. Thank you.
Because you are adult and the two tests were not 6 months apart, you are not considered chronic yet. Your immune system has 90% chance of clearing the virus. At this time, do what is liver friendly and help your immune system do its job:
* Avoid drinking alcohol. Alcohol speeds the progression of liver disease.
* Avoid medications that may cause liver damage. Your doctor can advise you about these medications, which may include over-the-counter (OTC) medications as well as prescription drugs. It's especially important to avoid using acetaminophen (Tylenol, others), which can cause liver damage even in healthy people.
* Eat the healthiest diet you can. Eat fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains and lean protein. Healthy foods help keep you strong, give you more energy and support your immune system. If you're nauseated, try eating small meals throughout the day. Choose foods that are soothing and easy to digest, such as soups, broths or a plain baked potato. A registered dietitian can be especially helpful if you have weight loss or trouble eating.
* Get regular exercise. Exercise helps increase your strength and energy levels.
* Get enough sleep. Rest when you need to.
Your advice appears correct and sound and is very much appreciated. Yes, the gastro Dr. told me to relax and await the further results. You know, I was babysitting 90 days ago (clear the year prior) when my grandbaby was laughing so hard, I was holding him over my head, and some of his saliva dropped in my mouth. He was recently vaccinated For HepA/B. Just wondered if that was a point of contact, because I don't get out much;-)
Thanks again, and God Bless.
I think you are absolutely correct. Just hate to think about the possibility of infidelity or my son says his girlfriend caught it when she was 15 from a Ghanaian roommate. And she was very ill and almost died before treatment.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.