Is sexual contact the only way to contract HepB? Was told by others that it was also food/saliva borne.
Is sexual contact the only way to contract HepB? Was told by others that it was also food/saliva borne.  Didn't have it last year but now positive surface antigen.  Only one partner in 25 years.  PCP said it was definitely not present 16 months ago by past blood work.  Trying to rule out contact from spouse who has yet to be tested.  Thanks so much.  Oh yes, I am 60 years old.
What was the date of your test showing positive HBsAg?  Did you have another test 6 months later?  Do you have symptoms?
Hi, Cajim:

Thank you for your prompt response.  I was tested 07/08/08, positive surface antigen.  And, again 07/16/08, positive also and negative antibody, still awaiting envelope antigen.  Liver enzymes normal, asymptomatic for disease.  Thank you.
Because you are adult and the two tests were not 6 months apart, you are not considered chronic yet.  Your immune system has 90% chance of clearing the virus.  At this time, do what is liver friendly and help your immune system do its job:

* Avoid drinking alcohol. Alcohol speeds the progression of liver disease.
    * Avoid medications that may cause liver damage. Your doctor can advise you about these medications, which may include over-the-counter (OTC) medications as well as prescription drugs. It's especially important to avoid using acetaminophen (Tylenol, others), which can cause liver damage even in healthy people.
    * Eat the healthiest diet you can. Eat fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains and lean protein. Healthy foods help keep you strong, give you more energy and support your immune system. If you're nauseated, try eating small meals throughout the day. Choose foods that are soothing and easy to digest, such as soups, broths or a plain baked potato. A registered dietitian can be especially helpful if you have weight loss or trouble eating.
    * Get regular exercise. Exercise helps increase your strength and energy levels.
    * Get enough sleep. Rest when you need to.

Best.
Thank you, Cajim:

Your advice appears correct and sound and is very much appreciated.  Yes, the gastro Dr. told me to relax and await the further results.  You know, I was babysitting 90 days ago (clear the year prior) when my grandbaby was laughing so hard, I was holding him over my head, and some of his saliva dropped in my mouth.  He was recently vaccinated For HepA/B.  Just wondered if that was a point of contact, because I don't get out much;-)  
Thanks again, and God Bless.
>>>Just wondered if that was a point of contact,

Very unlikely.
Thank you, Cajim:

I think you are absolutely correct.  Just hate to think about the possibility of infidelity or my son says his girlfriend caught it when she was 15 from a Ghanaian roommate.  And she was very ill and almost died before treatment.

Regards,