Hepatitis B Community
Just got test results of my HBV and doctors some results might be error...

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Just got test results of my HBV and doctors some results might be error

8358362?1348506324
Good evening all experts!

I recently went to doctor for check up. I'm a hepatitis B carrier.

Doctor said my status is ok as my PCR Quantitative for HBV-DNA is low (4960 copies/ml, 775 IU/ml), but what he's concern is that the number of my HBsAG Quantitative (Cobas e601) is 11698 IU/mL (Normal: < 0.05).

I then went for FibroScan and Test and result came out absolutely opposite and therefore, i've very curious to find out what exactly is my HBV condition and then I went for many tests with the results from several different Lab below:

Lab A (14 Sep 2012):
- Transaminase: (ASAT 18 UI/L) (ALAT 20 UI/L)
- HCV-Anti AMV: Negative
- HVB:
  - HBsAg: Positive (11698 IU/mL)
  - HBsAb: Negative
  - HBeAg: Negative
  - HBeAb: Positive
  - HBcAb: Positive
- PCR HBV-DNA (Qnt):
  - Viral load: 4960 copies/mL
  - Viral load: 775 IU/mL

Lab B (19 Sep 2012):
- Prothrombin (Taux de prothrombine): 90%
- I.N.R (Sorry don't know what's this really stand for): 1.1
- Gamma -G.T: 17 UI/L (Normal: 8 - 33)

Lab C (FibroScan) (19 Sep 2012)
- Stiffness (KPa) 9.5 (F3)
- IQR 1.4 KPa
- CS 10.1 KPa
- Success rate: 100%

Lab D (FibroTest from French Lab) (22 Sep 2012)
- FibroTest: 0.17 (F0 - no fibrosis)
- ActiTest: 0.10 (A0 - No activity of virus B inflammation accesses)
- Alpha2 Macroglobulin: 1.33 g/L
- Haptoglobin: 0.64 g/L
- Apolipoprotein AL: 1.22 g/L
- Bilirubin: 17 µmol/L
- Gamma GT: 23 IU/L
- ALT: 26 IU/L

Lab E (will be getting result tomorrow (23 Sept 2012) mainly on PCR Quantitative of HBV DNA.

I hope i could have experts here giving me some advises on my results.

I really appreciate for times and suggestions!

Good night!

Jeff

the only concern is liver damage adn only fibroscan can tell how your liver is, not blood tests.the virus itself makes no damage to the liver but its our immune response to do the damage so hbsag and hbvdna do not reflect liver damage

your fibroscan showed fibrosis and increased hcc risk (values >7kpa), it would be best to treat before you reach 10-11.5kpa which are in the range of probable early cirrhosis

hbsag is high, probable intf non response and hbv clearance, you may try entecavir or tenofovir antivirals and intf add on later on

low alt is a bad sing for all therapies, it means no immune activity, hbv can t see and kill infected cells
Hi Stef!

Thank you very much for your explanation!

So now I really have to treat my HBV, right? Any other advices you might concern or I really need to tell to doctor?

Anyway, if my FibroScan result is error, how do you think about my overall results?

Thanks!
Jeff
The two different results from Fibroscan and Fibrotest are quite disturbing. Since I am not an expert, I can only give you my personal opinions which really do not explain the difference.
1. In Australia, we only have Fibroscan and not Fibrotest.
2. I read a recent paper that you can get different results from different operators with Fibroscan. I guess this is true with all tests and equipment.
3. With obese patients, a different probe is used with Fibroscan.

4. For Fibrotest, I copy the following information from Wikipedia:
Due to variability of components assays and analyzers, FibroTest assays can only be performed in validated laboratories.[7] FibroTest cannot be used without algorithms that detects false positives and false negatives; the equation alone is not a diagnosis tool.

The laboratory or physician connects to the BioPredictive website[8] for calculation of the test results and prints the results sheet, which is available immediately and is accompanied by an interpretation aid and precautions for use.

5.I understand you are from S.E Asia and under 30. Looking at your low ALT and hbvdna numbers, eAg negative and considering your age, it is a bit hard to understand your Fibroscan F3 result.

6. As regard to your HBsAg number, some recent research from Taiwan indicates a low HBsAg is required for a true inactive hepatitis.

I have no idea which result is more accurate. Maybe you can find an answer is your previous medical history. I hope your doctor is a specialist and may give you better answers.

fibrosure is a way to make money i just tried my values when i was on advanced cirrhosis and it didn t catch any cirrhosis....blodd tests do not reflect fibrosis/advanced cirrhosis, they stay normal until end stage cirrhosis

there is also no need to use fibrotest when we have fibroscan and also it can t be wrong at values so high
if alt are less than 200, not obese and two readings are about the same at 1-3 months interval you have that fibrosis

Thanks all for your responses! appreciate it. I plan to go to Thailand for a diagnostic. I hope they will be able to provide a clearer statement about my liver health then at least we can do the comparison.

Smiling with hope to eliminate all the HBV from my body! :)
Also, it is recommended that a Fibroscan test be done while you're fasting because eating can cause liver stiffness.