Hepatitis B Community
METRONIDAZOLE is it safe to take for us

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

METRONIDAZOLE is it safe to take for us

http://livertox.nih.gov/Metronidazole.htm

I had wisdom tooth taken  not very nicely. I developed  an infection in the area. They prescribed antibiotics to take - penicillin vk  and METRONIDAZOLE. (Flagyl)

doctors of course dont know if flagyl is safe for me to take,. Since it is an azole i was concerned  and looked up the drug and sure enough liver toxicity is one of the possible sides.

Anbody know if i should take it? Or just to be safe stick with good old penicillin?
Hi I am not a doctor, just a patient like you.  I would take the penicillin hold off on the other to see if the penicillin can handle it.
Saying that...did your dentist prescribe both because you have a bad infection?
I am leery of anything that could add to my liver damage and normally try to get an antibiotic in the penicillin family.
There are times that the risk outweighs the benefit.
Good luck to you.
thanks, that is what I decided to do. The word Azole in the medications scares me, I was given flucanozol before and developed a really severe liver pain just after few days of taking it.

penicillin seems to work... I am feeling a bit better, although the extraction area still hurts somewhat, and it has been over a week already. Who knows maybe I did have a bad infection in there, and that is why.
short term antibiotic is fine.  Simvastatin also can cause liver toxicity but we all take it.
good that I did not take it.. :)

Metronidazole (Includes Flagyl) ↔ Liver Disease

Moderate Potential Hazard, High plausibility

Applies to: Liver Disease

Metronidazole is extensively metabolized by the liver to both pharmacologically active and inactive compounds. The plasma clearance of metronidazole may be decreased and the half-life prolonged in patients with impaired hepatic function. Therapy with metronidazole should be administered cautiously at reduced dosages in patients with severe liver disease.