Hepatitis B Community
Undetectable HBV DNA

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

Undetectable HBV DNA

Hello

I would like to share something that maybe significant but I guess this is very common to those in IFN. What I really want to understand is that I started treatment with Anti-Hbe positive and I am wondering if anybody has within my baseline data before the treatment of INF.

FEB 2008 HBV DNA 377 IU/mL ALT 118
HbeAg - negative
Anti-Hbe - positive

START TREATMENT OF INTERFERON FEB 08 and will end on SEPT 08 (with reference values above)

LATEST LAB RESULTS
AUG 19, 2008 HBV DNA < 6 IU/mL
ALT 544
Anti-Hbs - non reactive

Reference to my latest lab results, my DNA is less than <6 IU/ML which the PCR taqman minimum detectable values. That could mean the DNA values is 0,1,2,3,4, or 5 IU/ML or undetectable by PCR. ALT is so high at 544, that means more dead liver cell cause by my treatment. Where is that dead liver cell stays? If theres no HBV DNA in the blood that means no one will attack by my immune system and no liver cell will die but i guess there are other causes that ALT will become not normal (ig. fatty liver, etc.) I need to have another test for ALT to see if it gets back to normal.

I would appreciate if you could make a comments on my status. I really need to understand this coz its getting confusing on my part. Thank you to all member lists

regards and gob bless

I think during and shortly after IFN treatment ALT is expected to be high.  Monitor it several months after treatment, it should come down.
The ALT can indicate that your immune system is totally on board with the IFN.  Remember, when a Hep B virion is killed it takes a liver cell with it b/c the virion lives in the cell.  The ALT should drop.  
The "HIGH ALT can indicate..." I should have said.  

the virus is not hbvdna, that just poorly reflects the replication of the virus, even when und the replication is still going on in the liver infact hbvdna in the liver cells is still positive

your immune system is now killing all infected cells, i think yo are not at an updated hospital, interferon is at least one year and lately 2 years have shown better results on hbe negative.the endpoint of interferon is to lower hbsag and possibly make it negative, if there is no hbsag decline and less than one log hbvdna decline by 12 weeks interferon is useless

you are having a very good responce since interferon is very weak on hbe negative used as monotherapy and hbvdna und is achived by few.i strongly suggest to check your hbsag quantitiy in iu/ml although if you are in US or UK hospitals and labs are very outdated and you will have an hard time to find where to do it

hbeab antibody has very little meaning but hbeag antigen must remain negative, hbsag eradication can be achieved without hbeab antibody.another good point is you don t have precore and might get rid of hbsag

i strongly suggest to make at least one year interferon and if you want to boost immune response you can add nitazoxanide to, but if you cannot have hbsag quantity it is difficult to say if interferon is working, hbvdna is useless to say if you are achieving an immune response to eradicate hbv or keep it inactive and most relapse after interferon with hbvdna rise slowly again (so interferon was useless)

after you finish interferon is hbsag is still higher than 500-1000iu/ml you might continue with nitazoxanide or entecavir+nitazoxanide and eradicate hbsag

as to alt pray it keeps like that because it means you are killing all infected cells and making hbsag negative so that hbv will get eradicated forever