Hepatitis B Community
how to interpret my results? Pls help!

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

how to interpret my results? Pls help!

I am a chronic hepB carrier, and have known it since 4years ago. My doc prescribed me some anti-viral drugs as my DNA was quite high then. I recently went for some tests and my results showed:

HBe antigen: reactive
Anti-HBe: reactive
HBV DNA: not detected
ALT: normal
Liver function tests: normal
Ultrasound scan: normal

What does this mean? Why antigen and antibody can both be reactive? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I guess that since none of the frequent responders have replied to you so far, it means that none of us has anything useful to offer to you.

If you are inclined to read up on your own, http://www.hepatologytextbook.com/ is a good source of info.

If you do find out something useful, please do share it with us: others may benefit from your experience.

your hbe antigen and antibodies are balanced, for example when i was a teen i had hbe neg antihbe neg and hbvdna und,
you just have to monitor hbeag quantity and hbeab antibody quantity to see if the balance is getting towards hbe neg or your antibody hbeab neg:As to your state you are inactive hbv at the moment

you might also try alinia which is active against antigens and has no sides, according to the amount of hbeag alinia might seroconvert hbe in weeks/months.alinia also lowers your hbsag antigen and if it is not too high will get it negative in 1-2 years and hbsab antibody positive, see our post on alinia, i do not suggest any other drug at the moment since all have sides and very low activity on antigens

if you have the quantity of hbeag,hbeag, hbeab which ususlly are beside reactive/non reactive with unit and range just post them here so i can compare them with the other guys on alinia who seroconverted or a close to seroconversion and might give you a clue on your antigens
thanks for your reply. im confused when u say u are HBe neg, anti-HBe neg and HBV DNA und. Doesnt this mean you have no hep B since everything is neg?
I checked my results, but there is no indication of the qty. maybe i shall ask my doctor on my next visit. May i know more about this alinia drug u recommended? is it suitable to be taken together with an anti-viral drug? from what u described, it seems rather effective. Im keen to try, but i shld consult my doc first right? how do i read your posts on alinia? I tried to type 'alinia' under search function but still did not get to your postings. can you post a link here? many thanks!

sorry i wrote too fast, just ask your doctor about a specialized lab to make quantitative hbsag, hbeag, hbeab.he is probably not aware of this because this is the latest research from 2009 but there are no guideline for doctors only researchers know

the most important test is hbsag quantity in iu/ml because if this is low you have chances to serconvert and eradicate the virus, if hbsag is high you have to wait for replicor drug since there are no other treatments who can lower hbsag when very high (maybe alinia but we are still trying it)

as to alinia your doctor probably doesn't know anything about it and cannot prescribe it, we are using it off label since it is a very safe drug and has no sides, and because we have seen from first trial it has the highest seroconversion rates,
there will never be trials for it probably because there is replicor drug under development which clears hbsag in one week so no company is making investments on new hbv drugs
if you want to try it you have to buy it online at canadian or mexican pharmacies, you will find link to pharmacies on hcv community or on our post for alinia

you have to serach for alinia on serach this community at the upper right side, not search conditions at the beging of the page
you might also serach on google or on hcv community since the trials have started for hcv and are at good point on it

you can also find some documents on this link:
https://docs.google.com/?tab=mo#owned-by-me
Hi stefano170669, thanks for writing back. I did ask my doc abt alinia and true enough, he doesnt know abt it. But Im willing to give it a try as I hope to seroconvert in a mth, if possible. However, I read warning labels abt alinia - not to take if have liver disease or liver problems. Does it apply to me as a hepB carriers, although my liver function tests are normal? I'm still on an anti-viral drug currently, and doc told me to continue for another yr and I shld seroconvert, but I do not wanna wait so long as the drug is expensive. Pls advise me what u mean when u say it is safe and has no side effects. tks!