Hepatitis B Community
info

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

info

I did a blood test last week, and the result is, AST 75, ALT 57, is that means that I have hepatitis?

yes but the cause can be many, mainly drugs of any type, alcool and fat food/not fresh food, being overweight are the most common to make hepatitis and liver damage.an ultrasound can also detect if you have fatty liver which makes hepatitis

there are also many other reasons but less common and last viral infections like: hbv, hcv, hav,hev and many other viruses as many as the whole alphabet.of these viruses only hcv becomes cronic (chronic) in adults but hcv is transmitted only by blood
It is unusual for AST to be greater than ALT. You may like to consult your doctor.
why you say that ?

As far as I know is normal that AST to be slightly more then ALT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AST/ALT_ratio

as I understand the normal ratio is between 1 an 2, or do I miss something ?
even if on second wach some thing is not corect.
AST normal range is 5 - 34
ALT normal range is 5 - 55

so, ALT can be more that AST and to be considered normal and De ritis ratio (AST/ALT) in this case to indicate a problem (<1).

or maybe De Ritis is apply only if AST and ALT are out of the normal range.
I ask this because also i have AST biger then ALT (http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-B/My-result/show/1568816?personal_page_id=2249050) and no doctor say to me that this will be abnormal, even if the results was saw by couple of doctors.

ast bigger than alt is not good, usually ast higher can be due to toxicity, other organs than liver, not viral causes

alt higher on viral causes

also remember the normal ranges 30 and 19 and the best optimum ranges with lowest liver correlated deaths <20
what do you think about my results ?

do I have to look for other tests (except qhbsag) ?

you just go to healthy diet, fresh food, vegetables, few white meat, lot of fish

bmi less than 23

vit d3>50ng/ml

normal cholesterol, especially high hdl >50mg/dl
:) ... healthy diet is on role now.

BMI - this can be a problem even if I'm not a fat person I have a "standard BMI" of 29, but I;m working on this.

Cholesterol is 136 (down from 170 in only 3 month do to a more healthy diet and reduce alcohol ), but HDL / LDL and vit D3 will be tested this month.
AST/ALT ratio:    
[When greater than 2.0, it is more likely to be associated with alcoholic hepatitis[4] or hepatocellular carcinoma
    When less than 1.0, it is more likely to be associated with viral hepatitis

The ratio is less useful in scenarios where the liver enzymes are not elevated, or where multiple conditions co-exist.] Wikipedia.
AST is similar to alanine transaminase (ALT) in that both enzymes are associated with liver parenchymal cells. The difference is that ALT is found predominantly in the liver, with clinically negligible quantities found in the kidneys, heart, and skeletal muscle, while AST is found in the liver, heart (cardiac muscle), skeletal muscle, kidneys, brain, and red blood cells.[17] As a result, ALT is a more specific indicator of liver inflammation than AST, as AST may be elevated also in diseases affecting other organs, such as myocardial infarction, acute pancreatitis, acute hemolytic anemia, severe burns, acute renal disease, musculoskeletal diseases, and trauma.[18]

ALT is very specific to liver, that is when liver cells die, they release ALT, AST. AST is not specific to liver,e.g. when you exercise strongly and some muscle cells die, they release AST, but no ALT.

Hope I got it right.

you have to measure bmi and weist, and the second is more important.29 is too much, after 28 even fibroscan doesn t work properly or fails, it can easily be the reason

consider that i had fatty liver at bmi 25-26 and weist>104cm, now i am bmi 21 and weist about 90cm or little less maybe

abdominal fat deposits are linked to fibrosis biuld up and liver damage, this happens even with perfectly normal ast alt.d3 and bitter melon can help decrease insulin resistance which is the base for abdominal fat
A normal healthy BMI is between 18.5–24.9, over this is overweight.
30 or more is Obese. I am in the 29 too and working on that :)
i know that :) ... I have a more robust body constitution, but 29 is still high.