Hepatitis B Community
simvastatin

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

simvastatin

curious if stef2011 or studyforhope or StephenCastlecrag know whether simvastatin by itself can reduce viral load?  I've read about the effects in conjunction with NUCS but I'm curious if sim is effective alone.
was that the invitro study or a human study?unfortunately no human study started that i know of although they were on schedule since 2008-2009 so this makes me suspicious......

i tried it for hbsag but no effect on me and otan tried it in combo with pegintf and she had a superfast result hbsag und in less than 16weeks and then seroconverted to hbsab in the following months

those on peg may try this combo to confirm if it was sim or just a coincidence
I have no idea, that is, I don't know.

As for stef2011's comment, I think there is a distinction between reducing HBsAg and reducing viral load.
There was an in vitro study on ezetimibe inhibiting HBV DNA production. The ed50 was fairly low and in a similar range as lamuvidine. So it looked very interesting. But in an in vitro study you have a constant exposure to the drug, which is impossible to achieve in vivo. And the cells used are not the same as regular hepatocytes in human liver, with many differences in gene expression and cellular physiology.
Nitazoxanide, brand name alinia, had also excellent ed50 results in an in vitro inhibition study, just as good as lamuvidine, so this sounded fascinating for a possible combination towards true synergism, to finally suppress virion production to a level so low that the silent daily reinfection will be reduced, allowing a slow net clearance of infected cells with a resulting drop in surface antigen. But again, the in vivo pharmacokinetics does not seem to match the in vitro data, as stefanos personal trial has sadly demonstrated.