Hepatitis B Community
what my ultrasound result means

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Hepatitis B. Topics in this forum include but are not limited to, Causes, Diagnosis, Family and Relationships, Living With Hepatitis B, Research Updates, Treatment, Success Stories, Support, Symptoms.

what my ultrasound result means

I am 37 years old a hep B carrier for 14 years.
My blood test of liver function is normal. ALT is normal (I made a mistake of not testing them between 2007 and 2012, otherwise, yearly testing are normal). Creatinine and Bilirubin are normal. I have no any symptoms up to now.
Below please find my most recent ultrasound. My questions is:
1. what does the report in general mean?
2. Can stage 1 and 2, 3 been seen in ultrasound as coarse texture,  or only stage 4?
3. The report says echopattern is normal but echo texture is coarse, why? (I think echo pattern is equivalent to echo texture)
4. What does “no focal abnomality” mean?
5. What’s the next step I should do (biopsy?) Should I have my IRN and al Serum albumin done:

Ultrasound of abdomen:
the gallabladder is normally distended, there are not gallstones present, no wall thickening and no bile duct dilatation.
the liver isnormal in size and echopattern. The spleen, pancreas and both kidneys are normal with no solid mass, large cyst, significant hydronephrosis or renal calculus.
the aorta is a normal calibre and there is no retroperitoneal adenopathy
Impression:
Normal abdominal ultrasound. The hepatic echo texture is coarse which might reflect some hepatocellular disease; there is no focal abnomality present.

even cirrhosis can be invisible to US, when you see it on US cirrhosis is very advanced with the liver full of nodules.US can t see cirrhosis but can only see the nodules of advanced.....of course if one thinks to detect cirrhosis by US monitoring the patient can easily die of this.
only fibroscan can detect liver damage and all the stages of damage and allow the patient to never reach cirrhosis

the only reason to use US on hbv carriers is HCC detection or fatty liver detection

because you have hbv infection...you can say what the liver damage is by a US.

there is no HCC

5. What’s the next step I should do (biopsy?)

what s the use of a biopsy today?
Hi Stef2011,

THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!

What do you think "echopattern is normal" means in the report? Does that means there is no nodules but just coarse.

I have read an article, which discriminate between coarse echotexture from nodules.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2681891

Which confused me more on the difference between echopattern and echotexture. What's their difference?

Danny.

Hi Stef2011,

Thank you so much again!

Also, I am just crossing my fingers for that I can live up for 15 years to at least see my 5 and 2-years-old grown up.

Danny
you must have fibroscan, not Us, until then we dont know how your liver is

be aware that contries like US made fool of their citizens not approving fibroscan for 13 years just because it is a french patented machine (some other countries made the same crazy/nazy thing).
today, 13 years delay, the whole world uses fibroscan and they were forced to approve it, but most doctors are ignorant about it since they never used it.so if you are in such a country you better double check everything, especially fibroscan results
anyway values less than 6kpa no liver damage, more than 7kpa increased hcc risk and liver damage that needs attention, more than 12kpa cirrhosis

it is important to read your full status (all your tests) for correct interpretation of fibroscan results
Hi Stef2011,

THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!

Danny.

dont worry too much about US unless it says nodules (liver cancer) or ecogenity (fatty liver), which is not your case..all the rest is ok and of little meanining.what matters is that you have a fibroscan as soon as possible and post all results
There is a new site that you can go to.
You seem to be having a lot of trouble with echo pattern normal, echo texture coarse.
You can not tell if you have cirrhosis with an ultrasound

Many people have tried to explain, on the HCV and Cirrhosis forum, perhaps you should ask your doctor.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Pathology-Diagnostic/show/1693
Hi Stef2011,

Your suggestion is GREAT!
I just had my fibroscan done, and the max score is 5.7 and the minimal is 4.3. I am waiting for the final reports. I was told that I have *medium* fatty liver, and the technician said it is not a serious issue. Would you mind give me some suggestions!

I cannot express my thankfulness to you enough!

Danny