ION-1 / ION-2 / ION-3 / LONESTAR / ELECTRON statuses
Hello all:

I thought that it might be helpful to all of us ION-1 / ION-2 / ION-3 / LONESTAR / ELECTRON folks to post an abbreviated synopsis of their HCV and post-treatment clinical trial statuses when they find out something definitive about their viral load, with as much info as they might be willing to share. This is or the benefit of us ION-"X" people so we can see how we are all doing, as well as for the benefit of others waiting and hoping to see whether sofosbuvir plus ledipasvir with or without ribavirin for 8, 12, or 24 weeks will comprise a viable treatment strategy.

I was going to try to start building a list of what I could harvest from this site, but decided that some people may prefer that I not do that, so, if people want to share their ION1/ION2/ION3 (and even ELECTRON and LONESTAR phase 2 studies) HCV status, they can.

I was thinking that, as much as people may be willing to share, that forum name, gender, genotype, liver Bx status prior to start of treatment, in which trial you participated, treatment regimen, whether treatment-experienced or not, whether PI-experienced or not, and since post-treatment viral load is quasi-blinded, whether you got the 24-wk followup invite or the sux2BU notification, or post-treatment private viral load test outcome, or declared cured or relapsed, would be helpful to share with the Community here and provide useful information to them. My status follows this post.

Thanx, all!
Same draw for me on the 26th.

I figured no news was good news it's just  been awfully quiet here so I wanted to ask. This forum has been a great support group and source of information over the past year.

According to my NP you have to flunk both 4 and 12 week PCR's to get a call back.  I tested early Dec and have heard nothing.  
Yet.  : )

On the balance of things almost all 12 and 24 week w/ riba are 95%+ cure rates, some seeing 99%.  

http://www.gilead.com/news/press-releases/2013/12/gilead-announces-svr12-rates-from-three-phase-3-studies-evaluating-a-oncedaily-fixeddose-combination-of-sofosbuvir-and-ledipasvir-for-genotype-1-hepatitis-c-patients

I had my blood work yesterday.  Coordinator said she will get letter from Gillead saying make apt for 24 week test if I show up undetected.  She made apt for me March 14 for my 24 week test though.   I said please email me if u get that letter, I want to KNOW it too, she said ok will email u, it will be w/in 2 weeks.  

It is quiet here .   Did you talk to Matt?
How has everyone been?   Any lasting effects of treatments?

I still have tinnitus, slightly.  My neck still creaks sometimes too, but it's all livable and t think will go away eventually.   Going for a physical after January 1!

:)
I still have gastro issues which started during treatment, and then just go worse -  but slightly improved now. My 24 week EOT test is mid-Jan. However there have been results published on the web by Gilead on IONs 1,2&3 trials - 95.9% success rate, which is excellent for most of us.
The trials with ribavirin came out best - but that's only a 4.1% failure rate among around 1500 patients - a few disappeared from follow-up.

But someone must be in the 4.1%...still it's not many.

Seasons greetings to all and a happy and healthy New Year

One other indication is that I am still programed in for a 24 week EOT appointment.  
If you flunk the tests there is no 24 week follow-up.

I was seen by a ENT (for my tinnitus) and an neurologist (for what I believe to be something like neuropathy).  I am still waiting to hear back and so I am still holding back on my suppositions.  I'll just wait.

Overall...... I still have tinnitus. It seems relatively unchanged.

My greatest concern is the neuropathy; the cause and the prognosis.  Will I get better, stay the same or is there a potential for it getting worse w/ time, age, etc?

In general I do not believe that I am getting worse, but like hearing......
.... if things happen slowly I think one can lose a fair amount and not realize it.

RE the poor relapsers....
One thing that strikes me is that some group...... no matter what regimen they take...... it seems as though the strongest therapies (whether Gilead or Abbvie) are not quite enough.  
So there may be a group of super nulls..... the nullest of the nulls.....
or rather
....there just be one viral sub-species that sneaks through and needs yet one more compound which blocks it. I would venture that both companies already know the answer to that one. They will have a profile of the failures and see what  geno sub type, virus subspecies, staging etc most impacts upon the small group which failed this go-round.  They have come remarkably close to 100% and I assume they can bridge that gap.

Merry Christmas all....
It just might be that  MAYBE, the virus gets into an area of the body that is more or less shielded from the meds or does not absorb the meds. It does not have to be a super variant, all it has to do is remain hidden and remain viable until end of treatment.

Cheese
Or maybe they will be happy with the 95.9%. No treatment ever has a 100% success rate - not for cancer or any other potentially fatal disease. The IONs 1,2 and 3 including cirrhotics, tx exp and traditionally hard to treat groups.

In any case, yes I agree that Gilead etc will continually look  for new compounds, but for the time being, to get the drugs licensed and out there this success rate is sufficient...otherwise they will have to embark on a series of new and expensive trials, which they won't do. They've cracked it with the ION group.

There's also the sofosbuvir (now called Sovaldi) w or w/out riba trials for genos 2 &3 which showed a 85% +- success rate - so they'll have to work on that one, although this rate was sufficient to get it through the FDA.. Geno 3 has become very stubborn, what g1 was known for - not responding to tx.

seasons greetings to all
sorry - one more thing. Gilead already has another compound - can't remember the name of it which they are using in some trials....I think one person on this thread (or maybe the other one?) was starting it...
Wishing all of you SVR.
This is an extract from one of the financial publications: (sofosbuvir is now called Sovaldi) - there have been loads of reports over these past few weeks.

"Perhaps no study caused investors’ jaws to hit the floor harder this week than Gilead Sciences, Inc. (NASDAQ:GILD) three late-stage trials involving its recently FDA-approved hepatitis-C drug Sovaldi in combination with ledipasvir. The three trials demonstrated a sustained virologic response (an elimination of all detectable levels of disease) of between 93.1% and 99.1% in the most common type of hepatitis-C, but also the toughest to treat, genotype 1. Even more astounding, the treatment-naïve arm without the use of a ribavirin delivered a 94% SVR in just eight weeks!  What all this means is that Sovaldi could wind up giving AbbVie Inc (NYSE:ABBV)‘s direct-acting antiviral combo a run for its money in treating genotype 1 patients, especially from a factor of convenience (one pill versus up to six for AbbVie’s combo). I still believe there’s plenty of room in the hepatitis-C marketplace for two blockbuster drugs and am thrilled to see such rapid progress being made."
Thanx for posting that link (your Dec 20 post) summarizing the ION "X" trials' SVR12 data on this thread. Wonder if they'll post SVR24 data?
I doubt they have the SVR24 data yet, but hopefully they will post. And what interests me is whether there are relapses from 12 week EOT to 24 EOT. That we don't know yet but they say that SVR12 is their primary endpoint.

have a great Xmas and may 2014 be the year of mass SVR
I, too, have apt for 24 week test that was made when I had 11.3 lab done.  Coordinator said she gets letter stating I can come back for 24 week lab In about 2 weeks -----that letter hopefully goes out to her!  I said please let me know to confirm it for my peace of mind and Joy in knowing that.  She said she would.

Merry Christmas all!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well!

Here's one data point for you -- no relapse here -- I'm on the long term registry study GS-US-248-0122 and my baseline at EOT+26 was still undetectable. Will be checked every 6 mos thru summer 2016.

And I'm thinkin' that 2014 will indeed be the year of mass SVR.
Well I got my confirmation, undetected!  Next is the 24 week test then done!   I was hoping they would be checking me for 3 years.  We shall see.

Happy new year 2014!
First off.....congrats!!!  I have seen very few relapse and I think you can take that 12 week to be virtually synonymous with a SVR-24.

I kinda got a similar confirmation, really no confirmation, just the lack of a call back for a back up PCR and the next scheduled 24 week PCR appointment. That's as much as this trial site will give.  I don't mind since I pretty much knew it based upon the 12 weeks w/ riba results and my early response to TX.

I have not been on a friendly basis with my doctor since I have been pushing fairly hard about my remaining AE's; post TX sides. I am afraid that it seems to be the classic response. They seem bugged that I am not just grateful about the SVR (not true, I am), and they just want to move on..... cure some more people, not deal with any post TX issues.......which are problematic, difficult to define, diagnose or treat...... and the results of which take too long to be very attractive to treating physicians.
Haha; I also am no joy to deal with and it is a less happy conversation than the "you're cured" talk.  : )

Generally speaking.....I am fine.... OK..... but I am not as well as those who did shorter treatments or those without ribavirin.  I believe over time I may improve, but the changes since ending TX have been relatively slight.  I remain hopeful that by spring I will have more confidence in the trajectory of my recovery.

(PS>>>>>and no..... the opportunity to talk about Matt never came up)

Happy new year to all......

willy
I still have creaky neck and tinnitus from being on the meds for such a long time and my bones sometimes make noises when I get up etc, I think those are sides too.  I think after 24 weeks eot they will be less so I am hoping anyway.  I am betting Matt is okay.   He quit the meds by 14 weeks all of them, he was a smart guy!  We should have but out of fear I did sofi for 23.5 and RBV WAY too long.   Unfortunately we can't change that, just pray we stay cured and the sides go away!

My doc and nurse were also decidedly uncooperative about my post TX issues. My new gastro is convinced they're related and wonders how they can think otherwise.; They've improved but I'm still not right.

When I had sides during tx, they were the same, giving me the impression they believed them to be psychosomatic. However now Gilead has published its topline results from the trial, they specifically mention sides and adverse events...

My 24 EOT test is in 2-3 weeks....fingers xd.

HNY to you too
Can you post a link to the specific sides and adverse events?
I will have to look for a link. I have the trial results in hard copy that someone printed out for me from a medical publication - I couldn't access the full version online But will have a look. Perhaps Willy50's link has it?
Hi again

Try this link from Gilead's website - it mentions sides. Gilead is publishing its results on its site, so good to take a look there

http://www.gilead.com/news/press-releases/2013/12/gilead-announces-svr12-rates-from-three-phase-3-studies-evaluating-a-oncedaily-fixeddose-combination-of-sofosbuvir-and-ledipasvir-for-genotype-1-hepatitis-c-patients?mode=print
Another reason to be grateful.
The cost of the drugs we've been given for free is likely to be prohibitive...

http://vaccinenewsdaily.com/medical_countermeasures/329106-new-hcv-drug-could-cost-1000-per-pill/

(per the link provided by Geshmit)

"Of the 1,518 patients randomized to the 12-week arms of ION-1 and to all arms of ION-2 and ION-3, 1,456 patients (95.9 percent) achieved the primary efficacy endpoint of SVR12. Of the 62 patients (4.1 percent) who failed to achieve SVR12, 36 patients (2.4 percent) experienced virologic failure: 35 due to relapse and only one patient due to on-treatment breakthrough (with documented non-compliance). Twenty-six patients (1.7 percent) were lost to follow-up or withdrew consent.

Fewer adverse events were observed in the RBV-free, fixed-dose combination arms compared to the RBV-containing arms in all ION studies. Adverse events observed in those taking the SOF/LDV tablet were generally mild and included fatigue and headache. In the RBV-containing arms of the ION studies, the most common adverse events were fatigue, headache, nausea and insomnia. Anemia, which is a common side effect associated with RBV, was reported in 0.5 percent of patients in the SOF/LDV arms versus 9.2 percent of patients in the RBV-containing arms. Less than 1 percent of patients in the studies discontinued treatment due to treatment-emergent adverse events."

================
If you check out natap they usually  have great presentations with nice graphics.
For instance check this out.  AE chart at bottom of the "page";

http://www.natap.org/2013/hepDART/hepDART_10.htm

====================
please also note.......I have yet to see AE results ever list tinnitus or neuropathy.  Perhaps they are not...."adverse" enough, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but nerve damage/tinnitus is quite often serious and permanent, whereas drug induced forms of anemia are almost always transitory.......

I do not understand, but it seems to be something that I witness.

happy new year....

willy

thanks for opening the link I posted;-)

happy new year to you too.
awesome results!

I went for my 12 week eot draw last week and my study coordinator (my angel) told me she would be receiving a letter in two weeks & while not very specific I assume it would the 12 week SVR letter. She said she would call when she got it.

My most recent blood work was very promising on an overall level
liver enzymes were at12 yr record lows for me low end of normal
Hemo back up over 16
white blood cells in normal range another record for me

I have been experiencing some neuropathy in my in my feet but since I think we are all a little gun shy I am really not sure if its a side effect or unrelated. I had been running on the beach which I have curtailed for now & plan to seek alternative cardio & see a doc for diagnosis

all in all I feel great - lot of energy and renewed confidence.

went a bought a new to me race car for Christmas - 1970 911s, renewed my licenses to race in historics (where I belong at my age) and am planning my season..

who would have thunk it at 61?
Wonderful news!  Congratulations!  Gives hope to the rest  who continue to struggle with the effects of this terrible virus.

Enjoy your new Hep C free  life.

Nan
the end of a long hard road.....

got the call today 12 week EOT - SVR !!!!!!!

excellent. thanx for posting your SVR12 outcome. One last hurdle for you to jump -- EOT+24 -- fortunately,that hurdle is only six inches high -- only looks high when you're 12 wks away -- I think you'll clear it.
RE: your Dec 29th post

Once you go in for your EOT+24, they will probably be asking you if you would like to participate in the long term study. I can't remember if you were ION2 or not, but at least for me, which I presume encompassed any ION2, that study is GS-US-248-0122. I don't even think that the study is ION2 or ION-anything specific; it's just a 3yr SVR followup for anything Gilead.
Not sure if they're doing 3 yr follow ups in the UK. My family member who did a sofosbuvir+riba trial (VALENCE?) for G3 was not offered the follow up opportunity after his clear EOT 24 test

My EOT 24 (ION 1) test is in a couple of weeks, so I'll ask then. Interested to see if this is just a US-centric thing.
I definitely would want to participate even though it is a drive to Chicago !   I told coordinator that I would if they wanted me to.  Although I guess we could tell our primary dr to order a viral load test a year later if we so wanted to have one done.  

Stay well.

I spent 13yrs being "monitored" before the trial & would welcome another three now that I am  "cured"
Well, I just got my 24 week post tx results and I'm still SVR.

Reminder: 12 weeks sof+led w riba
G1b

Have signed up for 3 year follow up study.

These trials are really the bomb!

Good luck to all
Congratulation! Enjoy your new Hep C free life.
Just got my results.  SVR 24.  Yippee!!!

I did the ION 3 12wks  no riba.

Kathleen
Jan 2014, achieved SVR 24.

24 weeks 7977+5885 and Riba.

It has not cured all my ills, but there is a welcome improvement.

Cheese.
Congratulations to both of you

Cheese - it hasn't cured all my ills either, but at least we've got rid of the disease which could have killed us. I don't know your other ills, but it's a huge achievement!

I think that recovery is gradual...

G
it's been about 60 days since I visited this site and posted anything here last. I have just been scanning over those more recent posts and just want to say how happy I am for everyone who has been achieving SVR24 and how much I appreciate everyone having posted their interim and SVR results here for us all, and others, to see, as we have journeyed down this path.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, and it;'s not the one you see while on your deathbed!

Thank you, all.
Went for 24 week EOT yesterday & I am awaiting results of the draw. Presumably I will be getting a letter soon.
Signed up for 3 yr follow study.
Feel pretty darn good
Back pain & neuropathy but manageable
Geno 1a
24 weeks Sobo & RIBA
Was undetectable week 4

Competed in Sebring support race this weekend in vintage HSR -  p2 in class :) not bad for an old guy in an old car.

Life is good
great info as i was searching for the ion info last night at clinical trials..and found nothing published.

good for all of you!
I had my 24  week eot done too 3 days ago and am waiting for email on results.  I, too, am signed up for  3 year follow up.  Feeling great but have cough that is going around and am on a 5 day course of prednisone.   Definitely have more energy even though I have this cough.  Waiting for spring --we have had a brutal winter this year.   Ugh!

Take care all.  :)
All good news so far. results seem to be coming in now. I did the ION-1 - 12 weeks so my results were earlier than some who did 24 weeks.

Gibsongal - there is loads of info online about these trials - try looking at the pharma company's website - their press releases (www.gilead.com) or just type in to Google -  Gilead ION trial
I got my results in 4 days...still undetected at 24 weeks so definitely considered cured and signed up for 3 year study follow up!

All good news!

Take care everyone!
24 EOT results!

yeah!

blood draw was Monday, the called Friday afternoon.

I am so relieved - its over :)

best to all of you and I am truly grateful for all the support, nurturing and caring from all of you - my friends

that's great - so pleased for you. We all have every reason to be grateful...to everyone on here - but firstly, the doctors/nurses who invited us to join this trial (in my case, cajoled me somewhat) and looked after us, and  Gilead, for developing these drugs.

In the UK, I have learned, there is no way I would have been able to get them (when ledipasvir is licensed) as they will probably only give them to people who are severely cirrhotic initially, unless we pay the full price ($60,000 for sofosbuvir alone for 3 months). So interferon tx will remain standard tx for some time...

I have only mild fibrosis, fortunately, and my hepatologist said that my liver will probably get better over time if I look after it. For those of you with cirrhosis, he did a study which showed that many cirrhotics can reverse the damage over a few years after the hep C is cured.

Let those great results keep rolling in....

So true - when I was diagnosed 15 yrs ago I was lost. Had I not had the good fortune to get an introduction into liver specialist at UM in 2000 I am quite sure my fate would have been very different & while the time is almost here for many it is still a journey with large barriers along the way - for the foreseeable future.

My doctor tells me my liver will heal over time & I have to say my energy levels accede any I can remember in adult life.  I think I may well have contracted the disease when I was 18 & I am now 61.
I moved house and hospital. My old hepatologist tried to persuade me to do interferon (for 48 weeks) - had I done it and failed, I would not have been eligible for this trial (ION-1 was for treatment-naive only).

My new hepatologist was very understanding when I told him I didn't want to do interferon, and kept me on the alert for new trials. I waited for more than a year, maybe two - then got a call in April 2013 from the nurse specialist, who persuaded me to at least to undergo screening for the trial. I was more than hesitant, but when I passed screening, my hepatologist persuaded me to do the trial - saying there were no sides (which there were, for me) and this was my best bet for years to come. He was absolutely right.

I've had gut issues since the trial, but hopefully they are improving, and I now see a gastro, who is ruling out anything serious.

I imagine that the cost of this treatment will be a barrier to many in the US too.
early on I made a conscious decision not to be treated with interferon & ribavirin - I followed the developments of other drugs including vertex while  waited. Along the way I tried Chinese herbs for a few years, watched my diet and had regular blood work.

I turned down several  other trials that included interferon and finally this one cam long.aythe riba was nasty - anemia, mood swings and insomnia - but tolerable.

today I have some neuropothy in my feet which I have no evidence that was caused by the drugs -
Went in for my long-term SVR registry follow-up visit today. The research coordinator told me about the ION2 SOF/LDV having been approved by FDA on Oct 10 under the trade name "harvoni". Looked up a link about it and found http://www.hepatitisc.uw.edu/page/treatment/drugs/ledipasvir-sofosbuvir. Hearing about it's approval made me think about all the folks on this site who had contributed their treatment histories and lab results to this thread. So thought I'd check in and if any of those folks still hang out here, just ask to see how everyone was doing.

In addition to the SVR registry blood samples I gave today, my friendly hepatologist also had asked me to do a liver ultrasound. It was my second since EOT. I also had my primary care physician order up some lab tests for a bunch of stuff that back in the dark days of hepC were problematic enzymes, but are not checked under the registry study. So, I'm back home from the medical appointments now, holes in both arms and a greasy stomach from the ultrasound lubricant. I'll be quite anxious for the next several days or so as I await to hear about all the results.

In any event, I hope that everyone out there is doing well. I would love to see a "check-in" of sorts just to read about how everyone is, in fact, doing post-treatment.

Take care all.