* SGOT of 154 * and a * SGPT of 161 *

Could anyone tell me if an * SGOT of 154 * and a * SGPT of 161 * is very high
in the  world of elevated liver test results?

Thanks MillieBee
My SGOT was 500 but finally came down to 120 avg for the past 3+ years. My last test was 134. The guru internist I'm seeing at Emory is very worried but doesn't have any clue what is causing it. He sent me to a neurologist who says a persistant very high SGOT means nothing to him. If you don't have rheumatoid arthritis, liver disease (hepatitis or cancer) or a heart problem, then they will just watch and wait, hoping for something else to eventually manifest itself.      
Yes those numbers are considered very high. The average for someone without HepC is probably 15 - 20.

Pre treatment I was n the 200s and the minute I started treatment it dropped to the 20s.

I don't understand why you go to a nrurologist who says the high SGOT means nothing. If your liver enZYmes are out of whack then you are having a lot of cell death so how can that not be important?
Those values are considered mildly elevated but, of course, should be looked into. Various causes are possible, including liver issues like Hepatitis C, but not limited to Hepatitis C.

Willie, given your rounds, I  assume they ran a full Hepatitis panel on you -- A, B and C? SGOT (AST) is less liver specific than ALT, so perhaps why your neurologist comments, however elevated AST can have various causes including alcohol intake, steatohepatitis, too much exercise, even rx drug use. The one specialist you didnt mention in the loop was a liver specialist (hepatologist). If I had undiagnosed elevated enzymes like yours, that would be my next stop.

-- Jim
To be accurate, those values would be considered "moderately" elevated, not mildly elevated. Mildly elevated would be around 1.5 X normal or let's say around 90. That said, liver enzymes are not linear, so ALT 180 is not twice as bad as ALT 90.
A liver enzyme is created when a liver cell dies...it releases the specific enzyme.  That is why you check your liver enzymes...the more there are the more cell death you have going on.

Yours are not normal - you both should really be talking to a heptologist about these things as soon as you can.  You want to know why you have excess cell death going on rather than is this very high or medium high?

You need to find out what is doing it.
hi! i would like to ask if what treatment did u went through? my SGPT is 94 a month ago, after talikng meds it went up to 108... im hoping for you reply, im so worried... im still 20 years old... :(