Hepatitis C Community
ALT AST

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

ALT AST

Hello!

Is it true that if someone is hep c positive the ALT will be higher than AST even if both enzymes are within normal rate?except cirrosis (cirrhosis) and alcoholic disease?
I don't believe so.

I think there is some evidence that points to ALT being higher than AST in cases of advanced liver disease... someone else may have more information.
No, it's definitely not true.
Mike
I want to temper that. I don't think it is necessarily true but ALT is often more elevated,
Mike

Hi Catalina,

That was my experience of my LFT's over about a fifteen year period from diagnosis of HCV. My ALT was always higher than my AST and I did not have advanced liver disease.

"Most liver diseases  are characterized by greater ALT elevations than AST elevations.  Two exceptions to this rule exist.  Both cirrhosis and/or alcohol abuse are associated with higher AST levels  than ALT levels, often in a ratio of approximately 2:1."

http://www.liverdisease.com/liverenzymes_hepatitis.html
My Doc said the same thing that portann wrote.
Hi Catalina,

So is your ALT higher than your AST? Did your doc suggest further testing for Hepatitis C (HCV)?

There's a two or three step testing process for determining this (Elisa, sometimes RIBA and PCR testing).

You won't know for sure if you have HCV until you're tested for HCV RNA by PCR. This is usually only done if someone tests positive for antibodies with the ELISA or RIBA. Some people test positive for the first test but actually don't have it, so hang tight during the testing process.

And welcome to the forum.

Yes Alt is typically higher even in people without any liver disease. People that have low normal LFT''s the ALT is usually higher. If the Ast is higher then Alt that could indicate something else is going on. The AST is used for other conditions besides Hepatitis, i.e. heart attack, etc.