Abdominal Ultrasound
I'm having one next week. What does it show? Is it as sensitive as a biopsy?
I had one about 2 months ago (I mistakenly refer to it as a CT scan all the time).  Ultrasounds show tumors, but not liver damage or inflammation.  Mine showed no tumors, but, alas, it did show gallstones!  drat.  Good luck with yours; it's simple, no pain or discomfort, just that cold gel on your tummy.
They can also show significant changes to liver texture & size, portal vein and spleen size. So they can rule out high damage levels, but can't diagnose lower levels of fibrosis, as can a biopsy. Remember, no eating or drinking before. And wear clean undies.
I have had several abdomial US.  IF it is done with a doppler it will also show blood flows in the veins and arteries supporting the liver.  Not all are done with a doppler but if yours is ordered that way it is a rather lengthy test.  Like about 45 min to an hour.  Dosen't hurt a bit.  I think the Us tells more about actual structual damage or lack there of .  The biopsy tells I think the degree of damage,  the microscopic damage and kind of virus you are fighting and is considered the gold standerd for treating hep C
Whatttttttttttttttttt no undies with Racing stripes???????

Remember sweetie you have to have the biopsy...the doctor never told me that and when the tec told me after my US that it was perfect...I thought that meant I had no damage.

Imagine my surprise when I found out I was grade 2 stage THREE.

Ugh.

I just wish they had told me BEFORE HAND (it was before I found the forum...one ofthe best things that ever happened to me). :)
How you doing these days?    Energy, hair loss etc.     I heard about your last Post test.   I think you are about due for another right?
i took my doctors word that US was clear, liver lean, no tumors,.... you mean i should have asked for the biopsy anyway?/

none of my other numbers were indicative of anything wrong, only viral load which was relatively med to low..

should i be concern???

hope you are doing well, done with treatment right?  I am week 20/24 and feel like quiting about 3 days out of  7
rose
The ultrasound exam has a couple of objectives:

- to identify any anomalies in the liver/spleen/gall bladder etc
- to identify any vascular abnormalities if doppler is ordered
- to get an accurate size and position of the liver to guide the biopsy procedure.

There may be others, but that's what is on the info sheet I got when mine was done.