Abnormal liver tests
Hi have been having very high tests for months now what does it mean? my AST is 71, my ALT is 112, my AP is 203 and my GGT is 190.
What sort of diagnostic tests have you been offered to date? Have you been screened for viral hepatitis? This is a Hepatitis C discussion group; most of us in here are patients that are managing or have had HCV in the past.

Bill
My opinion, anyone with elevated liver enzymes should be screened for hepatitis.
pcds is right.
I had high alt and ast for 2 years, even though the specialists said nothing was wrong my primary Dr went around them (and me really) and ran the test for Hepc which came back positive.
I wasted 2 years.
Ask for the test

DJ
My husband went to see the dr and all of his  Hep c  tests  were excellent except for the     alt 265  /  ast 131  --- Dr said it  is mildly elevated - My husbands job is hard  strenous work  and I here muscle strain can elevate Alt - Ast ??  I just don't get it - why just the alt ast
ALT & AST don't raise that much from strenous work or exercise. They are more then just "mildy elevated".  And usually is it just the AST that is elevated from muscle strain. I would make an appointment with a Hepatologist (liver specialist). There is something definitely going on with the liver that should be investigated. Best of luck
Mono can cause pretty extreme elevations of ast and alt, but of course you would feel quite sick.
There are approximately 3,476 things that can elevate liver enzymes, including things that don't even involve the liver :-)

Talk you your doctor. They can run further tests to find the culprit. Speculating about something this general will only cause high anxiety.
"ALT & AST don't raise that much from strenous work or exercise."

My ALT and AST levels rose to 10 TIMES NORMAL from a strenuous exercise session when I (stupidly) blew it out in the gym after a long time off of training. In fact, that's how I ended up being diagnosed. We were waiting for the levels to come down - and they did, till they were only 5 points above the normal range, but never all the way. So in my case, a strenuous workout was what ultimately led to my diagnosis, thank God.

ALT and AST are both produced by many cells in the body, including muscle tissue.

The key to look for, if you suspect exercise in jury, is your CPK level, which is a marker for muscle injury. In my case, my CPK was also 10 times the normal level.
If it happen in your case then it is very rare. Someone has to look for other things causing it.  Strenuous exercise would be the last thing on the list.
Thank You very much  and Happy  4th of July ---- I also heard  that the pancreas too can cause elevated ALT-AST ---  Is there a connection with liver damage  and the pancreas that if you have liver damage  your pancreas will be effected as well --- Gee there is so much to this Hep c to learn --