Accuracy of test results
My husband had a Hepatic Function Panel done and tested negative for Hep. A and B and reactive for Hep C. He is now waiting for results of PCR test to confirm. I was wondering if any one has ever had a false positive test come back. Does this happen very often?
Yes it can happen.  Here is a site you can check out.

http://www.hcvadvocate.org/hepatitis/hepatitis_C.asp
yes it is possible but very rare. maybe 5% may be a false neg. i hope your hubby is in that 5%.
Sorry just re-read your post, obviously you're aware that a PCR test is required. My attention span is shot lately, apologies for responding to questions that weren't asked!
Even if your husband's reactive HCV test is accurate, it does not necessarily mean he's infected with HCV. About 20% of those who get infected with HCV manage to clear the virus permanently on their own (i.e. without taking treatment drugs). However, they will still test positive (or "reactive") on an HCV antibody test. So it's possible you can have HCV antibodies (which are harmless), and yet be negative for the virus itself. To clarify if he's actively infected, he should get a sensitive HCV PCR viral load test that's good down to 10 IU/ml or better. With any luck he'll be negative for the virus and managed to clear the virus on his own (but don't get your hopes up too high).
Colts,  was the + antibody test confirmed by Riba?  If the s/co ratio was < 3.8, there is a good chance the initial screening test was false+.  Riba is a more accurate test for Hcv than the initial screening test.  The screening test and the Riba test check for antibody only, not the virus itself.  Pcr tests for the virus, not antibody.

Your husband could be antibody + and virus neg.