Hepatitis C Community
After S/O treatment: memory issues?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

After S/O treatment: memory issues?

I'm 21 weeks post treatment with Sovaldi/Olysio- reached SVR Oct 23.  My memory, both long and short term, are much worse than before I started treatment.  I'm 63, and maybe this is age related and not related to treatment, but wanted to ask if anyone else is experiencing memory issues post S/O treatment-
Hello, congratulation for finishing tx and getting to SVR.  That is great news!
Thank you also for asking your question.  I find that many people don't want to talk about it.  When I had problems and tried to talk to my family they didn't want to hear it.  It was almost as if they would have preferred something physical was wrong with me.
I did not treat with the same medication but all of the medications have the same purpose to erradicate the virus. I had memory problems after finishing tx. I suddenly could not remember words, they were in there but I could not get them out. My thinking slowed way down. My spelling became atrocious.    Everyone around me seemed to be moving at warp speed while I plodded along.  I have heard of this happening to people treating for cancer as well.  I have relatives who had breast cancer and we would sit around and compare notes.  I hope someone with some more information comes responds.   I think that the meds ramp up our immune system up so much that something happens..  It does improve over time but it is very frustrating while it happens.  I don't buy that we suddenly age during tx.
I had high hopes that the newer tx's would not do this to people. Not everyone experiences this though many do to one degree or another.
Try to continue drinking water as well as eating as healthy as you can.
Take Care, Dee
I am on 24 week regime w/Sovaldi 400mg once a day & Ribasphere (Ribarviran) 200mg - 3 tabs 2x a day, genotype 3a. At almost 10 weeks and I must say I had so many symptoms, including everything you have described and though I feel like I have been on the meds for a year (time seems to stand still) I am going to try to make it through! I too am a senior, I had my moments, but I feel like so many things that were easy to do and remember have become increasingly more difficult!!

What I now realize is that most Drs tell you side effects are not common (anemia is all my Dr mentioned to me) take a look @ the 50+ they mention in the attached literature. I guess they do not want us to imagine we are experiencing them when we are not.

I was very surprised by the mental side effects of Hepatitis C treatment.  I do think its common and my memory has improved with time.   Its the short term that was effected the most.  I recently went to the doctor and had blood tests done and my platelets have improved by 30 points.   It has taken over two years for my platelets to be where they were before treatment.  Its seems many are treating in their 60s.  I do know very productive 60s something people who do have some short term memory problems but can say that I noticed my showed up with Hep C treatment.  I always wondered if we just haven't filtered out all that dead virus.  My hep C treatment dried my body out like a old prune.  This can contribute to memory loss.  I now take a real effort to make sure my body is always hydrated.  My new test of hydration is my ears.  Never before were they dry.  Now if I'm not getting enough liquid in my body.... my ears dry up.  Its
like my new regulator.   So, really paying attention to fluid intake and not letting yourself get dehydrated really helps with the mental recovery of this treatment.  

Give yourself more time to recover.   Be really kind to your liver.  Hepatitis C treatment itself taxes the liver.   So eat well, get rest and don't beat yourself up for not remembering everything.  

Here is a link you may find interesting.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-Social/Mental-Effects-Of-Hepatitis-C-Treatment/show/2316591#post_11184658

Thank you for the link, and thank you to everyone who responded; it helps to know I'm not the only one experiencing this.
Your welcome.  I really sruggled with the stigma of mental imparement of hep C treatment.  You knew it was happening, afraid it was perminate and your doctor didn't give you a heads up.   Which would have been nice because the lack of tell me made me feel crazier.  I'm a very strong minded person and loss of mental alertness devastated me for a short time.  I think either I've now over compensated or getting rid of hep C has actually cleared my brain and my mind has benefited in many ways.

I wish someone would have addresses this here a few years ago.  But it was like nobody wanted to bring this up.   Everyone saying oh I'm fine.  It's just you.  I think this is very common with Hepatitis C treatment.  

Best to you and do post your improvement over the months.  

Thank you for putting thoughts on how I feel. I have HE, but this has thrown me for a loop. The words just won't come out. My voice has become slow and halting as I try to form words and sentences. I can live with it if I can just get rid of the hepC
My memory was slipping big time before and during S/O tx. It gets better each day now and it's noticeable to others. I have other concerns like preparing to live instead of die. How does that look like now I ask myself. No longer bedridden half the time I have to figure out how I'm going to proceed without having this parasite but still having lasting liver and spleen damage from it.

Anyone else challenged by this issue?
January 22, I am 3 months since EOT. My memory, which was compromised before tx and grew worse during tx, is actually improving. I find all of your posts so helpful!
I came across this again while looking for something else.
I just want to say that if this is happening to you,  you are not alone.
I don't know why it happens to some people and not others but it does happen.  You are not alone, people just don't seem to want to discuss the mental aspects.  I tried to discuss and my family would change the subject.  I was terrified there for a while.
I also want to say it does improve.  I felt a lot like DWBH in that I was fighting this for all I was worth.
Seeing my Grandmother go through dementia had terrified me into thinking; is that what I have?