Hepatitis C Community
At Last... Infergen and Hope

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

At Last... Infergen and Hope

Good morning everyone,

In light of some of the sad news on this board yesterday I put off posting this update. We received the results of Greg's 6 month Post TX PCR and, he is still undetectable. This time we asked for a PCR TMA with sensitivity to <5 and that's what he is, less than 5.

I am so hopeful this time around, though we are still somewhat tentative considering Greg
That is SO  SO SO PHENOMENAL - I just could NOT be happier for you guys.

Thank you so much for posting this incredible update and information for those thinking about using Infergen. It really DOES help so much to have personal experiences like this to keep us going!
i'm so glad for you...i heard infergen is really hard to tolerate.  i know you will make it this time around :)
Good morning everyone,
Hubby is getting there, 35 of 48. Lately his finger tips are bothering him. It is like the skin is getting thinner(?). He feels like he has tiny paper cuts all on his finger tips. Also his finger nails are really thin now. He uses them alot and has been having problems with the nails just bending. Does anyone have any suggestions about healing the fingers. Also he has a sore in the crack of his mouth that just isn't healing. Any suggestions for that. All the sides big and little are really starting to wear on him and it seems like the fingers are really bothering him.
that is great news! better than great, AWESOME.  I know the fear will be there for the next 6 months, but with such a sensitive test, you have this licked, this time.  I can't believe he is 6 month post already!!  he never came to the board for support, during any of the tx, that is because he has a great team player in you.  congratulations to both!
yes, the infergen questions were from my friend Sybil, I am flagging her, she is starting this week or next.
Did you try Bondereaus crack creme? You can find it at most drug stores. Also speak to the doctor about it, I cant remember what he gave me for the cracking, it was a scrip and it worked great after applying just a few days they all disappeared.
those nasty papercut-like things!  each time I flexed my fingers I could feel my skin "rip".  I used the liquid skin repair, I think it's 3M brand.  You apply it with a brush like nail polish, over the cut and it helps it heal by sealing out irritants. It is like liquid bandaid but specifically for cracks and splits.  It helped me tremendously.  I kept my skin moisturized with Ulactin lotion and at night used things like Eucerin or aquaphor to replenish the moisture, and perhaps cotton gloves over them.  The liquid crack repair was the best for me.
What wonderful news! I agree with you, having the first relapse after 6 months is rare indeed so the chances of facing that horrible scenario again would be extremely remote. I can understand it would still be worrying me in the back of my mind.
Congratulations!! It was suggested by HR to add Alinia (even if you are UND) for a one two antiviral cocktail punch against any possible lurking remaining virus. I am UND also and I plan to add it for the last few months of tx.
Alinia?

Can you elaborate? How much and how soon should he take it? Is it something you take during treatment? Any toxicity or sides? I'm sorry, I didn't see any of the commentary, can you point me to where it's discussed?

I'm glad to know you too are UND. It's such a sweet feeling.

Very kind regards,
Debbe
It apparently shows in "the laboratory" to be ighly effective at killing the HCV virus. It is an antiviral and Hep C also resides in the intestinal tract. Some doctors are using it off label for Hep C to add an antiviral one two punch (riba/alinia) to the drug "cocktail" we take now to hopefully kill off any "lurking" virus we might have flying under the radar. I relapsed after being consistently UND the first treatment, so I am particularly leery of those few "lurking" viruses that might still be alive after tx. Since it is available now Im going to try it, add it into these last months of tx. It is an available drug, used for the treatment of the runs and intestinal parasites. Im going to ask my doctor for some.

Here is some info. about it. hepresearcher posted info. about it on one of the recent threads.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/01-10-2006/0004246208&EDATE=

http://www.hcvadvocate.org/hepatitis/hepC/HCVDrugs.html

http://www.medicinenet.com/nitazoxanide-oral_tablet/article.htm
Better angels,  Thats great news to share. I did Infergen and know how hard it can be. My best wishes for svr for him.

Roaming,Oh my god the lingering mouth sore. What a pain! Always have a lip balm on. Also I know that when ever a take the Centrum vitamins my nails grow more quickly. Centrum silver has less Iron.Good luck!
thank you Kalio and Giddy for your reply. I looked for the bondereus cream but walgreens did not have it. I assumed that was for the lip. They suggested carmex? I bought it for him to try.

Does anyone have suggestions for cracking fingertips? How to get them to heal and to stop getting them. Hubby's fingers are cracking at the tips by the nails like paper cuts.