BPA - Bottled Water Danger!
Yesterday, the Hepatologist Dr. Gish really frowned on anyone coming into his office with bottled water and they were asked to take it back out to the lobby, or better yet, to throw it away. He highly recommends that everyone with liver problems watch the Nova Epigenetics video here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/3411/02-tale-flash.html.

You can come to your own conclusion or decision, but the BPA found in bottled water has serious links to liver problems, aside from other maladies. Naturally, Arrowhead, Desani, and others will tell you everything is safe, everything is alright... Keep the money rolling in baby!

"The knowledge of a few wise men in a large circle of doubters can never sustain an understanding of a problem"..... Sartre...

Magnum
i will be honest and say i have not watched the video- but will- but wonder if it is the water that is the problem, or the container.  i erpsoannly refill those water bottles a fewt imes, so i am drinking good old tap water most often.  noway on THIS tx could i afford to purchase a new bottle of water everytime, i go through WAY too many in a day
lol
Albnay
Dr. Gish was referring to the plastic bottles, not the water....

Magnum
I'm glad someone is bringing up the water subject. It is so important to our health and often neglected!
I have been avoiding these bottles for a long time. The worst is, if you leave them in your car and they heat up. Reusing them, makes it even worse. It is better to buy a non toxic bottle and fill it up with filtered water. I use a 'sports bottle' made by Aquasana, which has a replaceable filter in it. It's great when you're traveling, as you can fill it with tap water. You can always put bottled water, if you are in areas where the tap water is contaminated, as it will filter the toxins from the bottled water as well. We were tracking in Mali this year, and they were very handy.

I would advise everyone to get a water filter installed in their homes, as there is chlorine, fluoride and other toxins and bacteria in the drinking water. Again, Aquasana makes an affordable one. I ordered mine from the States, as they didn't have a distributor in Denmark, yet. Now they do and I can order my cartridges here. They also make a good one for the shower. It is important to think about what water one uses for showering and bathing too, as the skin is the biggest organ and soaks in the water. It's like drinking chlorinated water, if you bathe in it.

Marcia

Marcia
With all due respect to Dr. Gish, I believe he is over reacting.  To be certain that you are choosing a bottle that does not leach, check the recycling symbol on your bottle. If it is a #2 HDPE (high density polyethylene), or a #4 LDPE (low density polyethylene), or a #5 PP (polypropylene), your bottle is fine. The type of plastic bottle in which water is usually sold is usually a #1 PET (Polyethylene terephthalate), and is only recommended for one time use.  It is the #7 which is a polycarbonate that has the suspected Bisphenol A in it.
Article from the national geographic magazine.

Plastics to Avoid

#3 Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) commonly contains di-2-ehtylhexyl phthalate (DEHP), an endocrine disruptor and probable human carcinogen, as a softener.

#6 Polystyrene (PS) may leach styrene, a possible endocrine disruptor and human carcinogen, into water and food.

#7 Polycarbonate contains the hormone disruptor bisphenol-A, which can leach out as bottles age, are heated or exposed to acidic solutions. Unfortunately, #7 is used in most baby bottles and five-gallon water jugs and in many reusable sports bottles.

Better Plastics

#1 polyethylene terephthalate (PET or PETE), the most common and easily recycled plastic for bottled water and soft drinks, has also been considered the most safe. However, one 2003 Italian study found that the amount of DEHP in bottled spring water increased after 9 months of storage in a PET bottle.

#2 High Density Polyethylene

#4 Low Density Polyethylene

#5 Polypropylene

Best Reusable Bottles: Betras USA Sports Bottles, Brita Fill & Go Water Filtration Bottle, Arrow Canteen

Better Baby Bottles: Choose tempered glass or opaque plastic made of polypropylene (#5) or polyethylene (#1), which do not contain bisphenol-A.

Tips for Use:

*Sniff and Taste: If there's a hint of plastic in your water, don't drink it.

*Keep bottled water away from heat, which promotes leaching of chemicals.

*Use bottled water quickly, as chemicals may migrate from plastic during storage. Ask retailers how long water has been on their shelves, and don't buy if it's been months.

*Do not reuse bottles intended for single use. Reused water bottles also make good breeding grounds for bacteria.

*Choose rigid, reusable containers or, for hot/acidic liquids, thermoses with stainless steel or ceramic interiors.

For more info, see Product Reports on "bottled water" and "baby bottles."

bump
Let your tap water run for a minute if you live in an old structure that might have lead/copper pipes. Don't every cook/drink hot water (water heater has lead/copper pipes). Let your tap water sit out all night so the chlorine residual blubbles off (yes, it's a gas).

At least that's what water engineers do. . . .
Thank you for the article. Much more reasoned approach and info than promoting hysteria.
"Take your bottles out of my office"? Spare me.
Forgive me if I ignore that advice.  When you live in a hurricane area, you HAVE to be prepare with bottled water or you will totally reject it....trust me in this.   I would MUCH RATHER have my stored bottled water in case of a hurricane problem where they tell you not to drink the water and BTW you can't boil water when you have no electricity!   I've been in that predicament.  I'm in a condo, we are not allowed to use a generator because it requires storing fuel, which is not allowed.  So, it's bottled water for me.  In fact, come June 1st, I'm going out and stocking up my supply for the beginning of hurricane season.  And batteries and canned food that you have to eat cold with a can opener to open it and MRE's, etc., etc.  

Susan
Wow Susan, that's tough. That's a whole different situation.

Marcia
I heard an interview on NPR with one of the scientist involved with this study and he said the risk was minimal.  When asked if he was going to quit plastic bottles he said no.
Acted like it was no big deal.

but I will watch the video link.

bandman
ok.... watched the video... very interesting.

I may have missed it , but did anyone notice how they never said how the amounts of plastic products  given to the mice would relate to humans.  In other words are we talking about drinking 100s of bottles of water a week for a lifetime or are we talking one bottle a day.
If they did make this connection and relationship please let me know.  I could have missed it.

I do remember the scientist on NPR saying that it is only certain bottles with a certain number stamped on the bottom...  I checked my brand and it was cool.

I am sure this is just another study to bolster legislation and more laws to take care of us stupid people, who can't live a healthy life without the govt. telling us how to do so and to justify another university's professor's salary and grant money.

And just for the record, both of my daughters drank from plastic, played video games, ate chips with trans-fats, ate candy, colas, (we did not let them have cafeine, until they were 12) and they are two of the healthiest girls I have ever seen.  One is a dancer with her own studio and the other is studying in Mexico.  They both graduated in the top 10 of their high school class (400 seniors, big school!) and the oldest (dancer) just graduated sigma *** laude from college.  They now both eat healthy but that was their decision... they are smart girls.

Its not the environment people.... its the genes.... its the parents... its the church.... its the teachers!  Humans are highly adaptable creature!  If your environment sucks, do what our forefathers did.... move!

ok - climbing off my soapbox now (tom's all natural soap)

ps - I thought the fat , orange mice were much sexier than the skinny ugly brown mice.

bandman

Evil corporations and their plastic bottles!  Curse them!

Unbelievable,

I just read my previous post and there were asterisks for the word ***, as in summa *** laude.

Yes , I know , I put sigma, its the hep c. messin with my brain.
dum, dum, cu m, cu m.

Oh please great powers that be, protect us from our own stupidity!

arrgghh!
Just wanted to add my personal view on all this.

There are some toxins in everything we consume and what we use to prepare our food. So it is a choice of living. Maybe just some toxins from bottled water don't matter, but if we add it up with everything else we consume/use.... it becomes a lot of toxins.

Personally I have chosen to go down the 'as much as possible toxin free path'.
I have chosen not to drink bottled water out of several reasons. The toxins are one reason. Another reason is that almost 1/2 the amount of the content of a bottle, is used in 'petrol/oil'  to produce 1 bottle of water. I really don't want to be part of that.

I have chosen to filter my tap water, not to bathe in nor drink the added chlorine and other toxins, which cannot evaporate, when left to stand. I have also chosen not to use tefal coated and aluminum pots and pans to prepare food. I have chosen only to eat organic foods. I have chosen not to smoke (10yrs), not to drink alcohol(10yrs) and not to put non-organic creams on my skin. I have chosen to use organic soaps, shampoos, hair dyes, dish soaps, detergents and cleaners. No aspartame, no microwaves, no GMO foods.

Maybe it all sounds a bit extreme..., but I feel healthier and my ALT scores actually dropped dramatically over the course of one month, since I did all the last adjustments. From 136 to 52.

Not trying to convince anyone, that they should be doing the same or that it is the right thing to do, but I feel it is the right thing to do for me.

Marcia

Gotta admire your convictions and that your choices are personal. I think I infer correctly that you do not choose for others.

Also, have to wean myself from the bottle. With my travel it is very convenient to just grab a couple of bottles from a kiosk wherever I am to keep hydrated. I feel guilty about the energy waste and waste products. Anyone know if there are health problems with the sport bottles used for backpacking, etc? They used to be made of Nalgene. I heard something bad about that and I am not sure what they are made from now.
this stuff is interesting....i've been drinking water out of my used v 8 plastic bottles for a couple years...just fill them from the tap..some bottles are over 6 months old...sit out in the sun all the time...our water supply comes from right next to poland springs wells so always thought it was fine...guess i'll have to make another change...billy
I too filter all my water and try to use glasses and ice , but the bottled water is so convenient at times.   I never reuse a bottle and do not drink out of them if they has have sat for a period of time.

I eat healthy, used to grow all my own produce.. but that just got to be too much, and use all natural shampoo, soap, etc. ((not the fake stuff, but the real deal, from the hippy natural foods store.  But all of this is my choice,  You wait.... in 5 years they will be passing laws to protect us from these horrid plastic bottles.  Because we can't make choices, we are too stupid.  We need the government (which used to be be "we the people") to take care of us.

I just see where this study is going, more unneeded legislation because as humans we are too inept to take care of ourselves (truth and sarcasm at the same time!)

So more and more people feel better about their jobs passing  laws we do not need and getting the govt. to pay for studies telling us that plastic leached from bottles makes mice fat, orange and sexy!

And web sites that won't let me say summa *** laude!
We live in one ****** up world!  I know I can say that word because you are being protected!  Oh thank you for protecting us from these nasty latin words.

again,  did anyone see what the how many bottles of water and what number would be the best to achieve the bright orange color and plump body of the sexy mice?
If so , please let me know.  I honestly could have missed that part.

bandman

And oh yeah,

I think you have several cases of plastic bottle water delivered to Dr. Gish's office first thing monday morning!

Ha!

bandman

I love it! How many cases should we send?

Wish I could grow my own produce... The only thing I can do in our apartment is sprouting. Hippy natural food store... I wish they existed here.

Marcia
Thanks for your kind words. Sometimes it's difficult, as I want my whole family to be healthy. One of my daughters has hep c and as much as I would like to indoctrinate he with my 'health freak' ways, I have to let her make her own decisions. She is quite reasonable in her food choices, but doesn't eat organic. It is more expensive, and she does not want me to help her more financially. She is 18 and trying to become independent. So no, I do not force my views even upon my kids.

Regarding the sports bottles, go to   mercola.com and type  'Where to Find BPA-Free Products' in the search field.

Marcia

I don't think you need a hippy health food store in europe... everyone I saw over there looked so much healthier than what I see in the states.  
I can only say it must be the diet... I thought the breads were much better, and there seemed to be a lot more consumption of fruit and fish.  Of course the wine could play a big part as well, but alas I had to give that up.   Fortunately while I was over there I had not been diagnosed, so I boozed it up pretty good!  Loved the Italian beer and the topless beaches in Monaco!  We need topless beaches around here!

Plus there did not seem to be this addiction to fast food as we have here.

I did notice that most of the women were beautiful, even the old ones!  Except when they smiled, lots of bad teeth.  And a lot of people smoked!  Weird.

I only went to France and Italy though.

bandman

ps - i thought I could stir up more trouble than this!  I was just bored last night and wanted to get something going.   Plus that deal about Dr. Gish not wanting people to bring bottled water in to his/her waiting room was just too much.

You would love Denmark. As soon as the sun comes out in the spring, you will see loads of topless women in the parks in town. I remember coming to Denmark 10 years ago...  (from Indonesia, where my kids are born and grew up) We were takeing a stroll in the park and my kids where sooooo embarrassed. Ha ha...

People don't have bad teeth here. They drink a hell lot of coffee and beer though and they do smoke like chimneys.

Sorry, am starting to high jack the thread...
In the parks!  Wow... gotta get over there!

I thought the beaches were cool... but parks!

Its weird that so many people smoke in Europe... at least that is the impression I got.

Over here it has kind of become taboo, which is fine with me cause I hate the smell.... and I smoked for 20 years... what a *******!

high jack away.... it looks like you and I and miki are about the only people on here at times.

bandman
ha, ha... thought you'd like that!

I smoked for 21 years. I hate the smell too.  It's the worst smell ever, since I stopped. I think that reformed smokers are the worst.

shouldn't say it too loud, gonna get wacked over the head by meki.

marcia
did you notice when I called myself a *******, there were just stars?

I am going to try another spelling and see what happens...
dumbarse.... dumb arse.... arse hole.

I wonder if this is program that takes care of my potty mouth or a real person?

bandman
oh I see...
we are more tolerant of the Brits!

great.

lets try this.... my *** is bleeding.... my arse is bleeding.... my bum is bleeding.... bloody hell.

bandman
ha, ha