Hepatitis C Community
Brain Damage
About This Community:

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Brain Damage

Can interferon/ribavirin treatment cause permanent brain damage?
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Combination treatment is certainly associated with toxicities causing depression,anger,anxieties ect.
These problems may or may not resolve quickly on cessation of treatment.
There is a sub-culture of vendors of alternative treatment who would seek to persuade you that the medications do indeed cause permanent brain damage.The motivation here is to scare you into spending your money on their garbage.
Some people do take quite a while to 'feel right' after treatment.
I would not go so far as to suggest that interferon/ribavirin has NEVER caused permanent brain damage,however if you want something tangible to worry about have a look at some pictures of people with end stage liver disease and ***** the risk reward ratio for yourself.
Blank
479244_tn?1271567259
xt no hurt me! Me good feel!
bandman
Blank
206807_tn?1331939784
Yes it can and everyone should take this in to consideration before “jumping into” tx. This is one of the reasons we have to sign the consent forms.
If someone has major liver damage, it’s a no brainer. You have no logical choice but to treat. If you have moderate to mild liver damage, become as knowledgeable as you can before making the decision. New meds. are coming out that will hopefully shorten the time of tx.
Just as sx is different for everyone, there is no guaranty of how anyone will come out on the other side. The fact is IT”S A GAMBLE. Some people do well some don't.
I was Gen2 Stage 1 Grade 1-2. I am SVR and grateful but if I would have had the knowledge then that I have now, I would have waited.
I am not trying to convert anyone to the “watch and wait bandwagon.” I am only sharing my personal experience and conclusion.

“There is a sub-culture of vendors of alternative treatment who would seek to persuade you that the medications do indeed cause permanent brain damage. The motivation here is to scare you into spending your money on their garbage.”

I agree 100% so don’t get suckered in. For now Interf/Riba is the only hope for a cure. However there is some combinations of supplements, diet, and lifestyle that can help protect the liver until the time comes that you must treat.
Blank
626749_tn?1256519302
Well...I feel pretty good, 11 wks eot.

I Could have some brain damage... lol

A certain large majority of us got hcv from a bad decision made many years ago. That decision certainly could have, or maybe did, cause brain damage.
A little more damage from inf, riba,,, probably not noticeable in many cases. Thats my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

apache
Blank
768754_tn?1373922337
Good question.  I've wondered that too.  On the flip side, I've also thought about the potential risk of permanent brain damage for those who don't get treated and allow the virus to run amuck.  Certainly depleted liver functioning can lead to increase in toxins crossing the blood brain barrier.  I second your suggestion to "become as knowledgeable as you can before making the decision".  (Wise advice!)
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hepatitis C Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...