Hepatitis C Community
Can bleach in bath water ease Hep C Itch?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hi, My name is David and I have Hep C.Had it for 15 years now. Started as Hep B and mutated in 1993. Had Hep B since 1973. I have been through interferon, Pegasus, the freakin pills. Not a change in levels. After all these years of experimenting, I have found that adding ½ cup of lemon scented clhlorox bleach to a hot bath completely stopped the itch for up to 24 hours. Now don't get crazy on me. Here is how I do it. Do not use soap or shampoo in the bath water along with bleach. The idea is to soak for at least 10 minutes in the bleach water. Rub your skin where lightly where it itches the most. Remember bleach (sodium hyperchlorite) is not a soap or detergent, it effectively removes bacteria, dead skin and what I like to think, the hep C virus just under the skin. It does not remove oils from the skin and hair so at some time you may want to first take a normal shower if only just to make your hair look clean. Finally I can function normally without being preoccupied with touching every part of my skin thinking a bug is crawling on it. I know it sounds crazy but it works for me. Oh yeah, towel dry normally, do not leave it dry on your skin, rub a little with the towel.
My question is. Can long term soaking in ½ cup lemon scented chlorox bleach do any damage to my skin? I mean, my body is already wrecked but more damage I am trying to avoid.
Thank you so much for reading this question, I hope someone has an answer.
                                                  Sincerely yours,
                                                  PopupWriter Pa

I use it only when washing whites. ROYFLMAO!!! now I have heard of everything.

geterdone
Im white! And its good for washing whites! ahaha
I'll keep in in mind.! Dont think I can lose my color! Only get brighter! woo hooo
Hi again, It is probably relevent, but hot tubs have become common. They are highly chlorinated and may provide some sufferers with relief. My version is like  a hot tub without the frills and in your own bathtub. Keep on truckin, Pops
My version is like  a hot tub without the frills and in your own bathtub.......

Why not use your washing machine and get the best of both worlds???
OOOOK.  Thought I've heard of everything but hey you never know.  I know in the very old days even before my youth, people used to use bleach for soaking feet, like atheletes (sic) feet.  I heard that it used to be in writing on the old Clorox bottles, I don't know for sure but I have done that and it works very well.  I haven't treated my HepC yet but if I get the attack of the "itch bug", I'd be open to it.  It sounds like a very cheap way to treat yourself and there's very good reason for it to work.  With that said, bleach is a very "toxic" liquid when mixed with ammonia, so I would get all soap and everything else away also, if you have washed that tub with ammonia don't try the bleach.  If anyone tries this idea be very careful bleach can become very "toxic", regular soap don't have ammonia but you never know about those boutique bars and I think some soap may have a titch of lye.  I don't know what happens if lye and bleach meet but I do know that ammonia and bleach can kill you, I forget what they make when they meet but it is a very toxic gas/vapor.  God Bless
Thank you all for your comments and insights. Yes indeed do not ever mix bleach with ammonia or anything but water (even though tap water has a lot of **** in it). And Please do not use more than ½ cup in a full bathtub. Bleach, full strength will burn your skin so be careful. This post only pertains to those of us suffering with an unexplainable itch, maybe or maybe not related to Hep C. My bilirubin levels are low so I don't think it is bile salts in my blood but it does feel like a sharpness poking from the inside rather than an affliction from the outside. Of Course I am not ruling out that I am 100% whacked fully crazy out of my brain but if I am, well hell, this cures that too ;)
when my daughter was younger she wold get poision ivy really bad.swimming in a pool helped it clear up faster.but not ure what it would do to your skin if used it everyday.but if it helps do for it
i couldnt get any whitier.. hope it dont make me see thru.. Just teasing
didn't micheal jackson use this type of bath to lighten his skin? :-)
Bleach will kill them nasty bed bugs,or them crabs, (gas works better but is more expensive) but the Hep C virus just under your skin? Sure hope our skin don't let liquids in or we're all in trouble.
  Thats it... I caught this hep c virus from dead skin cells on a toilet seat. Should've soaked the ole bung hole in bleach,LOL heard it all now, till next time.

Harry
Hi again, I am still alive! This is still highly experimental for me. To address some concerns. Yes, chemicals can be absorbed in the skin. Try washing your hands with baking soda, you can taste it in your mouth. I am still itch free and to the stage now (after 2 weeks of doing this twice a day) that I have cut the bleach amount down to 1/4 cup and the time down to 5 minutes soaking, no soap or or shampoo, then a hot water rinse in the shower and a brisk towel dry.  Wether or not this condition is from my Hep C, I feel better, more positive and smell lemony fresh. If you are tired of expensive creams and lotions and have a similar affliction, please try this. Peace! my heppas
Pop....well, guess we can't rule it out, along with hearing about the pool helping, hot tubs being so full of chlorine. I rarely use any chemicals, so won't be trying it. Used to get a constant itch on my arms with no rash, reason, before tx. Don't know about the chemical getting into your system tho.

Charm....Im white! And its good for washing whites!.....
lol, I'm already TOO white, pale. I'm thinking of laying in some tan dye :)

Harry...LOL!

Couple years ago my oldest son smoked pot (never drank...what the h*ll).....and had a drug test coming up, as he's on his way to the store he call's and mentions his roomates told him to drink some bleach to pass the test!!!!!!!  Thankfully , he called me first! I'm screaming 'you are NOT that stupid?!!'

LL
'you are NOT that stupid?!!' ..................and than said STOP smoking pot if you are!!
Last checkup at the pain clinic they offered a script of marijauna.......is it better than opiates, can't drink......what to do?

Harry
I would "google" dangers of chlorine and decide for yourself.  Everybody knows that it is poisonous beyond moderate dosages.  You can breath it, your skin actually is somewhat porous and you may also absorb some in that manner too.  It's hard on the lungs, is linked to cancer and is proably unhealthy in drinking water, bath water and in hot tubs.  Essentially, it's a poison that we put in out drinking water and wash water to kill and retard bacteria growth.  Your practice doesn't sound safe to me.  The long term effects may outshine any perceived short term benefits.

http://curezone.com/art/read.asp?ID=21&db=3&C0=7

Not to change the topic..... but what is this bleeping "join this community" default checked box I now see when I post?  I definately don't find that helpful.  : (
I may have to start a rant about this.  (in the proper forum of course.  ; )  )

Willy
"i couldnt get any whitier.. hope it dont make me see thru.. Just teasing"

now that was funny ...thanks for the laugh :)

Trish
Thats it... I caught this hep c virus from dead skin cells on a toilet seat. Should've soaked the ole bung hole in bleach,LOL heard it all now, till next time. by Harry......................................

You guys are killing me here..rolling on the floor...needed a good laugh thanks

BTW - the bleach is probably destroying your nerve cells thus your itch can't itch...only my theory....
crackin me up over here :)
I liked the part about killing those hepC bugs just under the skin!

This goes to show everyone that there are some idiots out there and they
want you to believe everything that is written.
Jeez, I am no expert, obviously. I only wanted to share an experience. Since I, and many other people will be infected with the Hep C virus and not respond to interferon for many years to come, giving a ray of hope can't be so bad.
I have read that Hep C and HIV can come out in hand sweat and tears as well as semen so wouldn't it seem logical to assume that if one would be sweating in a hot bath of slightly bleachy water that some (no matter how few) virii would be exterminated? Victory! If only a small one. By the way, I am still bathing in mildly bleachy hot water and I feel fine. I am clean without using soaps or shampoos.My skin has stopped crawling and my confidence is high. So beyond the humor/humour and digs at my intelligence I hope someone gets it.
Please do not use more than a half cup of bleach in a full bathtub, more is not better in this case. Thanks again, Dave
My doc has forbidden baths.........he said it A) would be too drying to my skin and B) the warm water could elevate my BP?  Nobody else has been told this???  I've been DYING for an oatmeal bath to relieve those d*** viral bugs trying to crawl out!  LOL
Hey thanks for your contribution, I hope you got a good laugh off of some of these posts I know, I did.  Hell people should thank you for the laugh if nothing else.  Anyways, you don't come across much positive information on your idea, but it's not a bad idea.  It's just an idea that you have to approach it very carefully.  Here ya' go, check out step 6 oh, they suggest a cup, I wouldn't go that crazy and if you have any open wounds just wait until you heal.  later

http://www.ehow.com/how_2077524_stop-itching.html
yes let's all pour acid on our skin....heck whatsa little more pain....
knock knock knock kncok.........
fill in the blanks
Dave??  Dave's not here........
Have you presented this to the drug companies, they maybe able to make a flavoured drink containing bleach and a once a day shoot of Javex along with your bathing to aradicate this thing. Thats what we need a new fresh smelling look at this old problem.

Harry
Hi Pop:

I just joined this forum about 10 minutes ago. I am so sorry to see these people making fun of you.  Now they'll prob make fun of me, but that's okay.  To me, using bleach seems really scary and I wouldn't try it, but that's me. How did you come up with that idea in the first place? Nevermind, I probably don't want to know, do I? haha.  I do agree with the others in one respect - there are NOT HCV bugs crawling under your skin! That statement makes me think that you are terribly misinformed (or on Meth.) (sorry, couldn't help that remark)

Don't get it in your eyes.

HK
Believe me it may be a little at your expense and your input has validation to using bleach and I’m glad it is working for you. I remember using a hot tub at the pool a couple of years ago because of the sun induced red pimples that covered my exposed body from the being exposed to the sun at the beach and it drove me nuts every summer. Or was it the sun? I did find relief when going to the hot tub but it had dried my skin out so bad at times that no lotion in the world would sooth it and the itching was worst for a few days afterwards, I had stopped going. I guess the bleach or chemicals used in the hot tub reacted to my skin condition at that time and now while having been on treatment my skin as well as others here are very sensitive to chemicals even when taking showers. Your post kind of set off a chain reaction of laughter and heckling and in no way tried to insult your intelligences. I am glad the bleach has worked for you and hope it continues to do so and if others are willing to try it, it is info.

BTW welcome to hepperville!

jasper
you'll have to excuse the crusty crowd in here, we sometimes need to laugh outloud, but it shouldn't be at anyone's expense.

the truth is the disease and the riba both effect skin, and the nerve endings are negatively effected by both the drug, and the drying out of the skin that occurs from the imbalance in chemistry brought on by liver failure itself.

the real truth is you are more likely to do real harm to your skin in short order using bleach than by just about any other method.

also since the virus replicates by the hundreds of thousands each day, the minute teeny tiny number that may be on your skin, if any, would not make a dent in your daily replication. Only SOC can help that.
what you are more likely to do is set your skin up for a serious staff or other bacterial infection.  There are billion's of healthy bateria on your skin, and they help to keep your skin stable ans hydrated. By using bleach you will kill off lots of these friendly bateria making it much more likely that the more virulaent staff, also present in the billions will get the upper hand.

I know personally what it feels like for ones skin to feel like it is swirming to get off you, crawling with ants, and so fragile like a thin light bulb about to shatter into a trillion pieces..I know what it is like to get into a bath, KNOWING you aren't supposed to and it will only make you worse in another day or two.

If the relief you are feeling is from the warm bath (it does temporaily help) then try taking just a tepid bath, with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil...lie there and float and let the oil coat you...this will help with hydration provided you don't stay in too long.
Also, take one benydry tablet before your bath, and then get cozy in bed when you get out. the benydry will help the itching.

If that doesn't help///I've also mixed benydry gel with extra strength gold bond lotion and applied these for some almost instant relief.

Again, sorry for the earlier chuckle, but you said it yourself...it sounds crazy..as someone who knows a lot about skin health, your are right, it sounds and is crazy.
doesn't mean you are.... : )))))))))

welcome to the board where we are not bored  but often laugh to keep from crying...

maryB
Thank you. You are very well informed. I don't mind the heckling, really, I have been in chat rooms. Amazingly enough my skin has never looked or felt heathier. Well hydrated, soft. I had not given a thought to healthy bacteria on my skin, poor lil guys. Oh well, friendly fire for sure. Bleach, btw is a base, not an acid. I could go on for hours petitioning the safety of what I am doing but enough has been said, by me anyways. I have used benydryl. in the past but it provides little relief and makes me sleep too much. I have read forums of people pouring full strength bleach on thier skin. That is just skin suicide. Most of us have self-medicated ourselves into contracting Hep C. This is my method of self medicating  one symptom. Now if I had a way to grow a new liver....
Why not just go out and buy some good old Gold Bond Triple Threat Anti Itch Medication Lotion and put it on several times a day and get rid of the itch for good?

It would seem to me even if it does work temporarily that it's drying the hell out of your skin instead of what it really needs which is moisture.

Ditch the bleach.  Put the moisturizer on and keep it on and the rash will have a chance to go away?

It just sounds counter productive to me even if it does really provide temporary relief.

Good luck.
Many years ago my Mom had a horrible case of poison ivy..intense itching and weeping of sores... and her doctor at the time recommended soaking in a tub with a diluted amount of household bleach to relieve the itching. And, if I remember correctly, to help dry up the sores. Whatever the dilution, it worked at the time.

Same vein, different setting...... I need to stay away from public pools/hot tubs. They are SO heavily chlorinated that I get physically ill from them. Have a friend with HCV that also had the same reaction from swimming in public pools.

The amount that PopupWriter is using to help his itching is probably far below the levels we subject our children and ourselves to in public chlorinated pools.
Ok, experiment over and done. I finally had to take a proper shower with a mild soap and warm (not hot) water. My freakin hair was getting so greasy looking from not using soap or shampoo, just the mild bleach bath. For a short time use, this seemed to work fine, but ultimately it would have done more harm than good. Thank you all for your comments. I got a good chuckle out of some of them :)  I guess I will just keep on reading and trying the great tips I have read here until someone releases the cure. On a secondary note, my bathtub has never been whiter. Hmmm, maybe vinegar and baking soda next. It should prove to be a fizzy experience for sure. It is great to be retired and have all the time in the world to explore stuff.
I wish you all well and hope a cure is near. Thanks again, Dave
thanks for being good natured.

correction for me....staph, is what you could be risking, not staff....late night...

but sodium hypoclorite and hyprocloride are acids unless my brains gone dead..., Household bleach and pool chlorinator solutions are typically stabilized by a significant concentration of lye (caustic soda, NaOH) as part of the manufacturing reaction. Skin contact will produce caustic irritation or burns due to defatting and saponification of skin oils and destruction of tissue. The slippery feel of bleach on skin is due to this process.

so you are only partial right, yes bleach is not a soap, but it is not stable, and will revert to ordinary salt water in short order unless stabilized, so without realizing it you were applying lye (harsh soap) to your skin as well.

temporary relief from itching is caused by the warm bath alone.
if you really think a change in PH is helping, I'd suggest epsom salts, or even an absorbic acid (vitaminC tablet.)....it may be you are building up salts on your skin as your body tries to excrete toxins from every available avenue.
this at least won't destroy all the good bacteria.

also, are you hydrating and how is your kidney function? Itching can be worse if either isn't optimal.
also, that's why I mix the benydry gel with another lotion...that way it's topical only and doesn't make me drowsy.....I save the tablets for the absolute worse days.
www.nytimes.com/2008/07/01/health/01case.html. This linked is entitled "Her Skin Erupted, and the Detective Work Began". There is actual science behind the Clorox bath; 1/2 cup of Clorox, added to a full bath, to treat certain skin problems. This is some of what is revealed in the article; In August, she sought a second opinion from another dermatologist. Along with a higher-potency topical corticosteroid, that doctor agreed to prescribe antibiotic pills, along with a bacteria-killing ointment called mupirocin — which Sis was to dab up her nose. What’s more, she was supposed to regularly dunk herself in a Clorox bath.

"Yes: household bleach. It turns out that scientists have long known that 90 percent of chronic eczema sufferers, unlike healthy people, carry Staph aureus on their skin. The nose, too, is a reservoir of the microbe, which touches off inflammation-stoking mechanisms that make rashes worse, according to Dr. Amy S. Paller, a pediatric dermatologist at Northwestern University".

"Concerned over the rise of drug-resistant bacteria, dermatologists typically resort to antibiotics only when eczema lesions show active infection. But a cheap alternative for reducing skin microbes is a gentle bleach bath (half a cup of Clorox in a full bathtub). Dr. Paller recently completed the first study to rigorously test bleach baths against eczema, and she said the results, not yet published, were promising".  

This method was prescribed by a qualified Dermatologist to treat eczema, point being this is a bona fide recommendation, worthy of serious consideration, and seemly an effect symptomatic treatment for certain skin conditions, other then eczema. As well, the fact the article was printed in the New York Times, accords the information some degree of credibility.
my girlfreind has hepc and is going nuts with itching and all the doctors do is give her pills that cause her amonia (ammonia) levels to rise.Im realy losing my fath in the treatment they provide.Iam glad this works for you.if any body has had to go through this with loved one they wouldnt make jokes!! I will be asking the doctor if this safe for her.thanks for trying to hell others. randy
Try epson salt in the bath instead of bleach and after the bath rub in organic coconut oil with a few drops of wild oregeno oil...(1 teaspoon of coco oil to 3-5 drops of oregeno oil)

you will have no itch
ran...OMG...do not listen to that dematologist. Getting out bleach for eczema is like getting out an atom bomb to kill a cockroach is so much overkill.

Besides which, the itch your GF has in NOT bacterial, she is having a nerve ending reaction to the riba.  the RIBA is IN the cells, and is not neutralized by bleach.

I have spent days on end in ICU with bleach exposure victims, watching them gasp for air while docs scramble to try to keep lung and livers from collapsing...it's just hooey to give this to a liver patient.

Everything she breathes, everything she eats, everything she applies topically has to be processed by the liver and chlorine is highly oxidative and does great damage.

Let her soak in an ordinary salt, be it epson, or baking if you must. You will still get antimicrobial action if that's what you are after...but long term this will DEHYDRATE the skin and what will settle the skin is more hydration which is why the oil works well.
After trouble getting out of a couple oilly bathtub I took to just taking a quick shower and then rubbing myself down with 1-2 tablespoons of oil. Olive or coconut will absorb, and not smell bad. Mineral oil molecules are too big and won't penetrate the skin ergo.
Oil that absorbs works best.
Tell your GF to try these because truly for every goofy doc who suggests bleaching irritated skin there are hundreds that would be agast.
try googling chlorine and liver damage together and you will see there is a plethora of bad things that chlorine will do to her.

I got some inexpensive silk sheets on Ebay and this made my itching more bearable, tell her it does usually pass in a couple of weeks....it just takes time for the body to adjust to the drug.

mb

(brady, NY times... credible...now there's an oxymoron).
what effect (if any) might bleach have to open wounds, cuts, scratches or sores while using this treatment?
,
,
Well, I know that if I don't shower after hitting the pool, I start to itch. So for me anyhow, chlorine CAUSES an itch, doesn't soothe one.
would you explain what vinegar and table salt do to you when you soak  your feet in warm water to get rid of athlete foot ?  
Dudes this guys hepb mutated into hepc?
Well maybe that is not what he meant - ooops tired today can you tell. Was fun reading some of the old names though.
I wonder how you would diagnose a mutation from hep b to hep c.  
Recently my oldest daughter had a mrsa.Dr s orders were bleach bath once a day with 1/2 cup of bleach into a full tub.She had a nasty sore on her behind-couldnt sit and itched like he_ _..She also got the spray for up the nose.After 6 days of this the sore was gone.So was the itch....
   I say whatever works go for it as long as you are not overdoing it.I mean its not like your filling the tub up with it !!!! Just make sure you use moistureizer(SP?) afterwards.
   Sometimes in the summer when Im working in my garden without gloves,my nails get pretty nasty.I wash my hands then soak my nails in bleach...Gets rid of the germs and makes my nails pretty white again  LOL !!!!

Yeah im tired too...cant believe how old this thread is and I responded!!!!Oh  well it was fun reading too.Nite  cindy
A little research goes a long way. I have had doctors themselves recommend bathing in bleach water to help kill and reduce bacteria on ur skin. It was also recommended to me to help get rid of scabies. No more than a cup to a full bath though. Please people if you're going to post and reply to other posts please do a little research.