Hepatitis C Community
Can the HCV infected become CNA's what is the legal disclosure abo...

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Can the HCV infected become CNA's what is the legal disclosure about that

can you be a cna if you hepatitis c?  If you care for someone like an elderly person in their home do you have to let them know you have it?  If HCV infected person wanted to work at an assisted living center do you have to disclose it to them?  Are they allowed to even ask?  If they ask you if you have HCV how do you answer that?   The Red Cross states to take their CNA class you have to be free from all communicable disease.  Does that mean someone with HCV could not take the class and get certified?  
I always reference this post by Dr. Dieterich who was at one time the resident expert on the Hepc expert forum and who battled HCV twice and was successful the 2nd time.

by Douglas Dieterich, MD, Jun 27, 2008 10:43AM
To: June6thHepatitis C testing is not done on healthcare workers, but hepatitis B testing is to ensure that we are all vaccinated or have antibodies. Because of the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) no one can prevent you from practicing your profession if you have an infection unless you are giving to your patients. One of the risks for acquiring HCV is from needlesticks as a healthcare worker so a lot of us are infected and employers cant ask about it unless there is an epidemic caused by you! However that being said if you have HCV you should definitely get evaluated and treated! Good luck! DTD
There is no legal disclosure at all. Do not disclose anything. They should not ask this kind of questions, but if they do, answer in the negative.

This is not a communicable disease. You just need to be careful with your blood and use common sense precautions. These precautions are now used by everybody working in health care. You don't present risk to anyone.

There are hundreds of people-CNAs, nurses, and doctors-that have hepatitis C and provide direct patient care. Many don't even know that they are infected, because hepatitis C stays silent for many years.
That's what I'll do.  Say no.  There is really no reason why anyone I work for should find out unless they could check my medical status somehow.  Im doing private duty care in the clients home as an independent.  It kinda worries me how I will deal with the side effects now that I am starting my service.  I thought I could wait to get a job after treatment is over but Its already been 2 years since dx. And I need to help out fianancially.  Everything is so expensive we are barely making it on one income.   I really hope to treat ASAP with new drugs!  Counting down the days!  Thanks for the replys I just wouldnt want to get sued somehow by lying on a questionnaire or application.  
Emily_MHModerator Survey link - https://goo.g... Comment
10356 commented on dominosarah's status
stilltrying1965 commented on No Cirrhosis of the L...
Track your weight over time