Hepatitis C Community
Comments by revenire on Natural Treatment

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

revenire:
I thought that we could keep our exchange of views constructive.
To refer me to some silly S&M site's comments on Lloyd Wright's book was not exactly helpful. And some medical treatments and discoveries do not come from Doctors at all. (Lorenzo's Oil comes to mind). Intellect does not require a degree.
The article I read from Pam Anderson stated that she is now taking something her holistic Dr. prepared for her. I don't think that is Lloyd. He does not claim to be a doctor, just someone that cured himself. I think Pammy suffers from celebrity anyway.
Since you are handy with links why did you bother to put up two silly links, but not anything to back up your assertion that there is "abundant" literature on natural treatments being so damaging?
C'mon, let's see the headlines, "Milk Thistle drives person to suicide!", "Live Cell Thymus shown to cause birth defects!", Large doses of Vitamin C found to cause excessive Ozone!", "Vitamin B ate my family!", "Reishi tea found as the true UniBomber".
OK, there, now I feel better!

Thought it might be ok to jump in here and not waste a new thread. Yahoo!!!! The pharmacy called and my new insurance company is covering all but $20 a month on the pegasys combo! I've been paying $545 a month copay, which has been rough. (Husband had been laid off and I have a kid in college) Couldn't help but share. I am really excited, even my sides that happened to kick in unusually strong yesterday can't bumm me out today. Just hope they calm down soon. Have a good day. LL
Great news. I'm so happy for you. I know this is a relief. I just called in my refill order to find out the pharacy has no refills for me. Gotta call DR and get him going. The next thing to hope for is the SVR and we will be winners.
You can believe what you want -- I don't NEED to do research for you. Just go over to Google and type in the word HEPATITIS C AND HERBS, or LIVER DAMAGE AND HERBS, etc. I am certain you can do it.

As far as the links I posted ... on the Wright website he has links to places such as: Swinger Personals, Viagra, and so on and so forth. Take it for what it is. I do.

You can put anything you want into your body. Your viral load levels speak for themselves, as does your biopsy. You have serious damage and, in my opinion, are not only wasting your time with this stuff you're taking but also endangering your health by doing so. If you should suck anyone else into this garbage they will also be risking the same.

You are aware of the fraud named Flanagan no doubt.

As to Wright ... he has no credentials or proof whatsoever that his 'cure' works. He SELLS things. He is in the BUSINESS of SELLING this stuff, at a profit. He profits off of SICK PEOPLE, offering them a cure when he has NONE. If I am wrong about that I do apologize.

Re: Pam Anderson and Wright

<a href="http://www.cinediscstudios.org/page_6__the_wall_street_desk.htm">Pam Anderson Touting Hepatitis C Programs</a>"

"Pamela Anderson's contracting Hepatitis C has been a boon for the various hepatitis organizations. With Ms. Anderson scheduled to appear at a Hepatitis C fundraiser not many invitees give up their tickets, or make other plans. Unselfishly, she gives her time equally to the established government & non-government organizations fighting Hepatitis C, and the alternative programs that fight it such as Hepatitis C Free, making shares in the privately-held program jump 30 points in almost as many days run by Lloyd Wright, the program does a sizeable mailorder business of medicines, roots, herbs & strange potions helpful in easing Hepatitis C, and publishes books on the sickness which it sells on its own website.

"Actively seeking investors, Lloyd Wright should cut a partnership deal with Pam Anderson. She's the no. 1 feminine draw on the internet, according to all search engines. On the Lloyd Wright site is a video of Pamela, Kid Rock (Pam's ex) and Lloyd."

Re: Herbs etc. damaging your liver; for example, scroll down to find the material. The literature is abundant on this ... all you need to do is open your eyes and look.

<a href="http://www.va.gov/hepatitisc/pted/ifhavehepc.htm">Avoid taking medicines, supplements, natural or herbal remedies that might cause even more damage to your liver.
</a>

<a href="http://www.hepfi.org/pages/liv_caring.html">Beware of "Nutritional Therapies"
Herbal treatments and alternative liver medicines need to undergo rigorous scientific study before they can be recommended. "Natural" or diet treatments and herbal remedies can be quite dangerous. Plants of the Senecio, Crotalaria and Heliotopium families, plus chaparral, germander, comfrey, mistletoe, skullcap, margosa oil, mate tea, Gordolobo yerba tea, pennyroyal, and Jin Blu Huan are all toxic to the liver. </a>
WOW ~ There's a savings!  That must take a load off your mind.  My pharmacy received insulin for me this month instead of my Pegasys.  Hate the thought of that poor diabetic getting my interferon :(  Seems like every month something goes wrong.  I'm not so sure it's the tx that causes our stress as much as dealing with doctor's offices, pharmacies, insurance companies!  I have been waiting 2 weeks for 24 wk viral load results.  And they wonder why my blood pressure has been higher?  A true test for my sense of humor ~ and so far I AM WINNING !!  Y'all have a good day.
ambush  :)
Hi, I didn't want to waist a new thread!
I'm on week 16 of Pegasys + Rib, I was undetectable at week 12!
geno 2. My question is, should I get a hep-a and hep-b shot at this point in treatment? I'm married and I'm not practicing any high risk behaviors. Drug free alcohol free! I contracted Hep-c
via a tattoo back in the 80's.
8 more shots to go!!!!
Just one note! on the whole herbal verses conventional meds!
I was going to try herbs before I tried TX and In faced did with no results! I tried (Hepatico)and you can find this site by typing hepatico.com, and I't claims to reduce Viral load and ALT
good luck to anyone trying herbs. I do understand that everyone is different and it just may work for some.

Any input is appreciated.

Jamit_a
Well, we could start the always hot 'pot' topic.  Or the need to meditate (which is a proven stress releiver and healing tool)
which is free.  Oh yeah, MD's recommend it!  So that's no good.

We could debate the importance of exercise-esp walking-even when you feel like death warmed over.  I do do know what that feels like.  Oh no, white coats recommend that too.

I think its very obvious this forum is almost all pro-tx and pro-living well.  Also, we are the minority b/c we are able to afford not only tx b/'puters, too.

Layls, I'm sure the cost  rests heavy in your mind.  Until S-P put me on a program of free meds, all I could do was plan my funeral.  Its such a shame that tx will never be available for the majority of hep c sufferers.  All those ESLDers will be hitting our health system in a few more years.  That's another reason to tx-those livers will be going to the same immates they refuse to test or tx now.  1,000,000 immates, by CDC estimates, a year are released w/hep c.  And they are ignoring this. Replace AIDS w/Hep C, and imagine the outcry from the public!

Well, that sould start a few new debates.

Hi everyone!  Miss seeing some oldies as I was updating my website.  Where is Myrtles, HarleyDude, and some of the others?
I see some are close to the end if they are still on tx, and congrats to the recent graduates - AlmostDone2, Psychdoc, and ? Cmurphy Lize and ? others done?  Email me or add your info on the website where it says "contact webmaster" thats me,  or Add your info" that will work.  I may have missed stuff the past week or 2 cuz I wasnt feeling good and dont stay on the computer very long lately.  That article in the Kansas City Star was pretty dang informative!!  And the Biotene mouthwash is wonderful!  Gets rid of nasty breath!  I went and had my teeth cleaned and still had breath that smelled like mothballs LMAO, but with the Biotene its saaaaa-wheat!  (sweet)
Did Tallblond start tx? Im too lazy to scroll way back down...well, check out the website and see if its fairly accurate on how many weeks into tx you are at!  Thanks y'all!  Good to hear your news OkieJim, that you are still kickin dragon bootie!  for the newbs, and olds with the fog, here is the web address:

www.geocities.com/auggieaz              

My doc started me on the hep a b shots before I even started tx. It is really bad if you get a or b with hvc. I would talk to doc and see if you should BTW the last shot is 6 months after the 1st so it would appear you would be done with tx by then but if you got hep a from a restaurant or something it could be bad. I wouldn't waste any time talking to doc.
oh so you don't have risky behaivor to contract hep a or b?...do you ever go out to eat?...you are now at risk of getting hep A..
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the info, I was kind of leaning towards getting them,
also because I know it would be real bad to get another form of hep while having Hep-c!!!

I hope your doing well Bill and keep up the good work!

Best wishes,

Marcello
I'm back at work today from 5 days of FOMB (flat on my back)feeling much better, hope you are too.
Do I qualify for SRV att on you site as I was undetectable at 12 weeks?
Hi, actually I don't! I prefer to eat at home and love to do most of my cooking and also give my wife a hand cooking too! but, I do have intentions on getting the shots! and yes I'm practicing safe behaviors.
Eating out is almost never on my vocabulary ask my wife she'll tell you:-)
8 MORE SHOTS TO GO!

BEST WISHES,

JAMIT_A
GET THE SHOTS! Contracting either one of those with Hcv and while on tx can be a death sentence. At the very least you would be taken off your tx when you arrived at the hospital for a lengthy stay. There is absolutely NO good reason that anyone should not be protected from those diseases. It's just too easy to be vaccinated and so prevent it.
Dammit...Jammit....get those shots!  Hahahahahahaha
I will, I will, I will,

Thanks for the concern!

Jamit_a
Sorry to break in hear did not want to start new tread.
I would like to ask a question that is concerning me, I went
to see my eye doctor for a follow up saw him three months
ago at the time he found I had white specs in the back of my eyes, now he says I have a few hemorrhages  and referred me too a retinal specialist says he does not think at this point I should stop my TX is he correct or should I stop, my vision
has not been affected it is the same as last check up. should
I be concerned has any one had this experience. I am on wk 25 and still waiting for my pcr results hoping to hear undetectable thanks for any help Morgan
Hi, first of all, thank you for the personal info about Indy. I sure do miss it there, tall green trees, fresh corn on the cob(what we get here is not fit for feed) and fried green tomatoes. I'm sorry to say tx has not alleviated my appetite. Sounds like I'm obsessed with food. It sounds like you have a wonderful supportive family. My parents are comming from Indy to visit after New Years, I can't wait. I have only been peeking in lately and not taking time to comment. Things have been an emotional rollercoaster for me here lately. I really am jealous of those of you who have supportive spouses. Thank goodness for my 20 and 23 yr. old daughters. My husband of 6 years is completely overwhelmed. First he marries for the first time at age 40. And to a woman with 3 kids.  Before he knows it, he is a grandfather, and then he finds out that his wife has to battle the dragon.  Needless to say, he prefers to pretend this isn't really happening. Makes it hard when I could use a hug and someone to tell me that everything will be OK. Oh well.

My GI never said anything about Hep A and B shots, should I check into it allthough I'm 21/48????

Thinking of hayrides and weenie roasts, berlynn
Don't feel alone not all of us have such supportive spouses. I really think the only people who can understand all of this is those going or gone through it just like I will never understand how being pregnant feels like. That is why this site is so special. I've made up my mind that I'm the only one that will get me to the end but that is just my makeup.
Hey....You need to worry about YOU right now and not your hubby. You are SUCH a MOM. He has the best life of all right now. He marries a caring woman, gets 3 kids to love and enjoy, and then gets some little grandkids to REALLY spoil to boot! He's got it made! It's time for you to let him have all the fun for awhile and take care of yourself until this is over. He's a big boy....he can handle it. The BEST thing my wife did for me on my tx was to just "Leave Me Alone". I didn't want to talk about stuff. I just wanted to "Do My Time" and get it over with. That action on her part probably saved a LOT of phones and china. Everyone here learned to just let me be and things were fine....for the most part. At least I didn't have to apologize for too much all the time.
You should get those shots started. It doesn't harm the tx at all and you REALLY don't need to be worryin about any chance of gettin that stuff. It can REALLY do a number on you if you happen to get it. You worry about enough already. Tx only makes us worry more about things. Not enough folks worry about these things these days. That's why there's an outbreak. Hcv is hard to contract too....but we all got it...didn't we? Hep A & B are MUCH more contagious. They are EVERYWHERE.  
GET THE SHOTS!!
??????????????????????? North America as in the 48 states. I just read of 85 people getting sick from hep A at a restaurant near here, 1 died. It seems it is common in North America. Please clarify. My doc said if I got A I could easily die.
Thanks for the support. Finding this site a couple of weeks ago has been wonderful. When I read that others have the same sides and experiences as me, I don't feel sooooo alone. Plus there are sooo many knowledgeable and caring people on this site. I don't blame my husband, he truly did'nt understand what he got himself into. I have always been the type of person to take on whatever happens and deal with it. I compound my worries by trying to help my children and friends through their worries. But that is the type of person I am and I doubt that I'll change. Being a Leo and a mother, I mother everyone around me. I wish my husband could understand and talk to me about this, but he's scared and I can't blame him. I'm scared too, but I'm used to making lemon-aide out of lemons. Thank God there are people like you, Layla, Indiana, Galen, willing and the many others who  answer question and offer support, these are my e-hugs.    berlynn

I
There is always a risk of contracting Hep A, all I was saying this risk much lower in North America than let's say in Mexico or Africa.
My DR told me end tx and then vaccinate (or do it before tx) since tx is already influencing my liver. Thats was I was told...
AAAHHHHH I see. I took my first two shots before tx and will take the third and last in about a month. We don't eat out much either. Thanks
My doctor told me to get/complete the hep A and hep B vaccinations; he also told me to get the flu shots and pneumonia vaccination. You don't want any of those illnesses on top of HCV and tx.
HepA and HepB are totally separate viruses from HepC; only thing in common is the organ they affect, and like all the other illnesses that inflame and scar the liver, the sypmtoms are the same.  Kind of like bee stings and slaps and sunburns all affect the skin.  The vaccinations for HepA and HepB should not make you sick.
By the way, the groceries you bring home may also have HepA on them; so wash your food carefully, and cook it throughly when it needs cooking.  HepA can ride along on produce, meats, etc.  (think of beautiful strawberries in the winter...)
what website has hcv statistics numbers by country and genotype
My DR recommended finishing tx first, then get vaccinated.
Hep A is a risk, but not in North America...
When I read back over what I had written I realized what a BABY I sounded like, sorry. I gave myself shot 22 tonight. Almost halfway there but I guess I'm letting all of this get to me. Maybe I should ask the Doc to up my effexor when I'm asking for the SHOTS. Thanks for the kind words.  berlynn
just an update for your records. I just finished week 20 and I am starting procrit this week. Keep up the good work on your website. I have to cut the riba to 800mg a day for a month.
I'm asking my doc to up my effexor or something else on Thursday. I started at 75mg, 150mg now. I feel as if I'm on none right now. Outbursts and feeling down.
maybe your doc should try another kind of AD.  Good luck to you too.  Seems a lot of depression is going around lately.  Maybe something to do with the planets, lol, ya never kno.  Take care and I am going to go lay down a veg out awhile!
eeeerrrrrr dah, "going to go lay down and veg out" is what I meant.  DH Bill, sorry to hear also you have been FOYB. Hugs and hope you are better soon.  OHC
If you are on Procrit and on reduced Riba @800 for a MONTH, how often is your doc checking your blood counts?  I think you should have weekly CBC.  Your doc can order these at any convenient lab, or through their office.  If you feel increased signs of anemia, you should be checked sooner; if your red count bounces back up, maybe you can go back toward regular Riba dose and off Procrit.  Changes can happen relatively radically, and the ones lowering Hematocrit and Hemoglobin can have serious consequences.

Using Procrit for HCV-TX related anemia is still "off-label", i.e. not approved by the F.D.A..  The package inserts with Procrit do not refer to this use, although clinical practice among GI's and Hepatologists is supporting the practice more and more.  (For example, see reports for various conferences, incl. NIH Consensus Conference on HCV, June 2002)

Note that Ribavirin kills off (hemolyzes) red blood cells before their time, causing the anemia.  This is different from anemias caused by deficiencies of iron, folic acit or Vitamin B-12.

Maj Neni
I feel the same way about the applecart but I agree maybe more is not the solution.
Does anyone out there now how this affects us if we start a new AD. Does it take weeks to get it going again? Do you taper off the other one???????? I don't think the effexor is doing much right now but I know if I quit I probably would commit road rage or something or get depressed and do something stupid. I know a lot of you have been down this road so anti up.
Thanks Bill
I just got a chance to peek back in and see how everyone is doing. I'm on 225mg right now,maybe I should take the advice OHC gave you and check into another. There is already enough crazy things going on with my body now though so I'm a little afraid to upset the applecart:)  Thanks, berlynn

OHC, just checked out your web page, extremely happy with trying to sort out who is who and especially with seeing who tends to be successful with SVR.  Thanks,   berlynn
Just when you had me seeing those zucchinis and carrots in a neat row...
I'm spending lots of time relaxing now, too.  I think the shorter (got it right that time) days don't help.  
Hang in there!  We like the days when you go out riding better.
Maj Neni
Thanks to you guys, I'm making a giant list of things to talk to my dr. about next week...Vaccs for A and B, changing or uping my anti, something to help me sleep, ( although that will probably cut down on my compu time, since I'm usually posting after midnight) Do I really need those Neupogen shots as reccommended by the ER, or can I try folic acid..... **or anything instead of more shots**..... and last but not least, can I please have copies of all of my lab work- from the beginning? I'm tired of being a passive participant in this disease.    

Y'all have spurned me on to be more proactive.  

Does anyone have any suggestions if there is something important that I'm too green to know that I need to know?

Any thoughts on accupuncture as a compliment to Tx????

Thanx all,    berlynn
The doc told me to cut th riba to 800mg for a month to give the procrit a chance to start working.I am not due in for blood work for another 4 weeks but after your post I will go in after two weeks and have them test. I really do not want to cut the riba at all. I have gone this long with 1000mg and now on procrit I shouldn't have to cut it down at all, (isn't that why I am on procrit so I can continue tx)Maybe I will make that phone call tomorrow after all. Thanks Kim
There was alot of info in the kansas city Star, however what it said about the VA being so good, go to hepatitisdoctor.com and find out the REAL facts about vets there.    Joni