Hepatitis C Community
Dry Throat and Sinus

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Dry Throat and Sinus

I went to see my ENT today and he told me my Sinus and Throat are extremely dry. He told me to use a Saline rinse every hour to keep it moist. Can I use salt water instead as Saline can get expensive if you are using it every hour.
I found this on www.Health.Discovery.com

Homemade saline solution is another effective decongestant. Mix one quart of water with two to three heaping teaspoons of kosher salt and a teaspoon of baking soda.

Sounds like this would do the job.  Good luck.

JD
Boy do I have the same thing. My sinuses are kaput!!  And dry skin in my ears are horrible too.
Your not alone in that one. Cant even put my ears on the pilllow without them hurting.

Charm27
I used salt water, but if memory serves me it had to be a certain kind of salt. Kosher I think but I can't remember the reason. I'm sure a quick "google" could find out why and how much to use.

You can also try a Neti Pot which where you take the salted water in one nostril and out the other. Lastly, my ENT recommended something called "Simply Saline" which does run into a little money. His instructions were slightly different than on the container. He wanted me to insert in nose but let it drip halfway down throat and then to "cough" it up with the phlem.

I tried all of the above, with marginal benefits. Things did clear up pretty much when I stopped treating, so it will be over eventually, even if it never seems so. You might also want to try a vaporizer if the air is dry from heat or A/C. Just be careful with the "cool" mist types as unless you clean them obsessively, you can do more harm than good by growing your own bacteria in the air. Best to use those ole' fashioned hot-water vaporizes. Vicks sells them for under fifteen bucks, just make sure not to burn yourself.

Hope you feel better soon,

-- Jim
I will try that. Thank you for sharing.

Charm27
To tell you the truth nothing worked for me except popsicles and fudgicles...waking up every 20 minutes all night long having to have a sip of water was DREADFUL.

Make sure you gargle and keep your mouth as clean as you can from germs...the mouth sores that can come from this dryness are just the worst worst worst things in the world, God they are painful!

I use a solution of 2 tsp salt and 2 tsp baking soda in a quart of water. I rinse and gargle as often as I can. This has helped with mouth sores, dry mouth, sore throat,etc. For sinuses I use Simply Saline Spray (it is OTC and not harsh)
I have had the same problems for years and tx has made them even worse.

You should use either home-made saline solution or an OTC like Ocean spray or the sinu-cleanse pre-mixed packets with a neti-pot several times a day.

Mucinex (guaffinisin) is excellent for getting rid of dryness.

A humidifier is essential, especially during the winter.

wyn