Eqivocal HCV -PCR RNA HCV LOAD not detected
Hi all,

I just had a question regarding my results.  I have been with my boyfriend for five years, have one tattoo that I received over two years ago.  I have never done drugs or had a blood transfusion.  I was caught off guard when I received my results and my doctor didn't seem to concerned about it.  I was wondering if the one PCR RNA is sufficient enough in confirming negative results or should I have them confirmed again in a few months?
The Pcr rna test detects a circulating viral load in your blood if that is "not detected" that's a good thing. The other test (anti hcv antibody) detects whether you've ever been exposed to the virus. usually they give you the antibody test then the pcr for confirmation. so was the reason you had the pcr because you had a reactive antibody test?
Yes, my HCV Ab index read 0.97 index equivocal.  I received the antibody test first and then the PCR.  Should I retest in a few months or are the results from the PCR sufficient?
Well a not detected pcr is great news, but depending on when you felt you were exposed to the virus to now, I'm not sure of that timeline that passed but if you waited 6 months and did another pcr and were still "not detected ' I wouldn't worry about it anymore. Some people just get exposed and the body clears it on its own...Don't worry yourself in the meantime, just breathe a sigh of relief......
Thank you so much!
RNA appears in the blood a few days after exposure vs the antibody takes weeks to appear.  So a negative PCR would be better at confirming depending on how sensitive it is.