Hepatitis C Community
Fibrotest instead of Biopsy?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Fibrotest instead of Biopsy?

My sister’s husband who lives in Israel had a 1st doctor appointment at January, 3rd. He has a Hep 1. His doctor scheduled so called FIBROTEST (I cannot translate better) instead of biopsy to monitor his liver condition.
I'll have an appointment this month in Chicago because of my treatment ends at week 24 this month. However, 12 week's test showed the virus undetectable and I believe it still be undetectable. At the recent appointment I was told that the doctor schedules a biopsy at February 2010. I won't to experience this unpleasant surgery again. So, what information you guys have about a fibrotest?
before you do a biopsy make sure that it is absolutely nessecary and that the information
gained from this procedure is not available to you thru some other test like fibroscan+fibrotest or MRE (Magnetic Resonance Elastography)
i would not do a biopsy that soon after finishing tx. i would give it at least 6 months for platelets to increase. in the meantime you could do a fibrosure or fibrospect. best of luck
From reading your post i take it you have already had a biopsy once? If so what were those results and i wonder why the doctor would want you to have another one. I agree i would do the fibrosure and compare it to your first biopsy results.

Heres hoping you will be SVR...... Best of luck

cando