File your extension, other posts
Yeah, this is hepatitis C related.  How many of us have brain fog and haven't got it together this year?  If you haven't filed your extension for your federal tax return, here is a link to the IRS forms and publications.  Scroll down until you see "4868' and you can print out a form and send it in.  Needs to go in today, unless you are on the east coast and then you have until tomorrow (Patriot's Day holiday today)(I guess those of us in the west aren't as patriotic (??????))

http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/lists/0,,id=97817,00.html

I have been absent from the board for most of the past two months because I am a tax preparer.  I did shot #40 last Friday. I must say, this was the hardest tax season I have ever experienced, and I have been doing it since 1977.  I started treatment in July and it has gone relatively smooth, except for the blood drops in whites and reds.   However, these last 2 months of treatment have been pretty rough.  The added stress of extra hours and the intensity of the work really got to me.  I have felt sick and exhausted most of the last month. Clients, many of whom I only see once a year, have asked if I am sick.  I have told no one at work besides my partner that I am treating, but, of course, it it pretty obvious something is up. Still we always look bad this time of year, to that is a good cover -- only this year was a littel "badder" than others.

I am glad to be done and will have more time to be on the board now.  I missed you all.
Kathy
said.....except for the blood drops in whites and reds...... While you have white blood drops? Mine has alway driped in red.
On another matter, I am being forced into the generic Riba.  When the generics first came available in January my rx was filled with them and I asked for the brand name instead.  The difference in the copay was $15 for generic, and $45 for Copegus.  But when I went to pick up my refill last week, I was hit with a $534 bill.  According to BC/BS this is a penalty for not choosing the generic.  So, generic, here I come.

At the first of the year, we had a lot of discussions on this.  I would like to know if, after several months on the generics, those that are taking them see any difference.
tacky tacky - what do they call those neutrophils?  Thought they were white blood cells...... but know that you mention it, why the heck do they call them that.??
FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE - she's FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

GET SOME REST! GET TAXES OUT OF YOUR HEAD!  YOU DESERVE A DAY OFF FINALLY YOU ARE FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

You guys know this girl has been working SEVEN days a week sometimes during tax season and at LEAST SIX DAYS A WEEK?  She is EXHAUSTED yet comes in thinking of US.  

Please take a day off and sleep and eat and watch tv and totally VEG OUT like you DESERVE MY FRIEND!!!!!!!
Fantastic that you can do taxes!  I managed to get mine done early this year.  I used Turbo Tax.  I graduated with a minor in accounting, and numbers can be a real head trip if the mind is spacey.

I have always taken the generic riba and was Undetected at the 6 week PCR.  So I guess it must work just as good as the original.
Thanks NY -- yes, I am free.  What is it like out there?  Haven't been out much lately.  Think I will go shopping tomorrow and plant some flowers!

Anise -- watch the turbo tax.  If you have an accounting background it is probably okay, but I have seem some pretty wacky returns done on turbo tax -- when the person gets a notice from the IRS 2 years later -- and the excuse for the error  usually is, "I just answered the Turbo tax questions.........."

LOL - just glad it is over.  Hope eneryone is getting big fat refunds and can go to the carribean!
Thanks for the tip!   Fortunately, I do the return manually first then use Turbo tax to check for any errors and to get an electronic refund.

Congratulations for being done for the season!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
And you did math everyday on this stuff. Your one tuff chickie!!
lilmoma
When I had my taxes done for my business recently I thought of you as I was meeting with my accoutant.  He is always so busy this time of year and looks tired,I wondered how you were... being on tx and all.

I am glad you are done for the year, at least the busy part!!!  It is certainly time to rest and get through this medication.

It is good to hear from you.

Deb in az
I've been on both generic and namebrand Rebetol and haven't noticed any difference with any of them.

they both suck.

Glad your tax season is over and hope you can get some rest now.
I was on the Ribavirin (brand) now on the Rebetol (generic)- don't notice any difference whatsoever in the world.

Except - for now anyway - my hair seems to have stopped coming out in huge clumps and now it's only like ten hairs every morning.

If this keeps up I'll have to get my mousy brown roots done cause the blond on the bottom is so pretty and I feel like some white trash punk rocker with this look goin' on.

I have be on generic Rebetol since day one.  I am 1b geno, and was undetectable at 12 wk pcr.  Just the price is the diffence.  Same ugly sides.

I am so glad for you that you get a break.  I just don't know if I could crunch numbers that intently with riba brain fog.  My congradulations and hats off to you for making it through the tax season.  You need a good vacation after all those hours and I know tax preparers work many, many long hard hours.

CALGON TAKE ME AWAY!!!!

cajun
Hello all.... so this week is the week......
Wednesday is the day i get my first shot....
WOW did that time fly by, it was just nov when i was on here saying i was starting in april.
Today is the first day i got nervous or anxious, but i am ready.
So any last pointers and/or reminders for me for that first night..what to possibly expect???
Don't forget to drink a LOT of water so you stay hydrated. And that's not "just" for today but from now on! It seems a LOT of our sides come from the dehydration effect.

Also, make sure you take two tylenol when you take the shot...just in case.  It should help if you should get the chills/fever.

I'm sure you will be just fine. Although everybody IS different.......most of the time the biggest PROBLEM is our imagination running away with us!

I forget what your stats are (heck i can't remember yesterday) so if you want to refresh us that would be great.

BEST of luck.
Today is the first day i got nervous or anxious.

That prolly the worst part. My first night nothing happened until about 8 hours later. Got some chills, felt cra*py for a couple days. But the being nervous and anxious was the worst part. You will do just fine, take care and good luck to you
to all -- thanx again. Since numbers are my livelihood, I guess I am used to them...So maybe that is how I got thru tax season.  However, research was absolutely grueling... Trying to learn something I didn't already know just nearly did me in.

Shananea -- congrats on getting started.  If I am recalling the right person, you are fairly young and are wanting this over before child bearing and maybe college.  Do I have thAt right?  In any event congrats on the start date.  Just drink plenty of water all day and take a couple of tylenol before the shot.  I don't know what to say about what to expect -- I had no reactions from the shot and for the first few weeks, had incredible energy the day after the shot.  Good luck.
genotype 1b, 29 yr old female, grade 1 stage 0. VL 52,169!
those are my stats and thanks to all who responded; tylenol and water... sweet..... i think i can handle that. And the xanax will come in handy for tomorrow night and the night of the shot.
Will give an update on how it went :)

DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING THAT IS NOT APPROVED BY YOUR DOC!!
i tried that and almost croaked. i found a great booklet on sx during tx and
also what herbs are ok to take- very few of them!!!!!

if anyone knows where i can post the pdf file, this is a great little book and addresses every sx you ever imagined and what to do about them.....
Btw, I am not in South Dakota. I SPACED my flight, missed the plane, couldn't get there for another 24 hours....

Why does that not surprise me? And yes its the 17th all day.
but maybe I should slow down ............ Yes maybe you should, Look guy your causing be to be short of breath and wearing out just reading all you do in a day. Good hes keeping you on tx. Bet he hasn't had many on this stuff that does as much as you do. SLOW DOWN your giving the rest of us a bad name. Take care my friend.
Hi friole, I was on Copegus 6/05 to 1/06 and two different generics since then (Ribasphere and one simply called Ribavirin). I haven't noticed any difference but have saved several hundred $$/month by using the generics. Like you, my insurance kicked out the high price for the "brand name" as soon as the generics became available in 12/05.   - Lee
See that's the idea...I do the runnin and you guys be my designated resters.
Bet there's a lot of you out there doing more than me, and hey-maybe I can just eat a real, real lot once a week. Your right too Can Man, he made no suggestion of stopping tx despite not clearing.
Well-gotta gobble a bite and riba, pick up my riba refill, and be a at meeting in 35 minutes.
Have fun,
Don
Have a question.   Has anyone just found out about HepC being over 50?   I just did and have an appointment in 2 weeks with a specialist.  Seems like forever.  Not really much symptoms but wonder if my right side is a little sore.  Thats about it.  When they ran two tests I was borderline positive and negative. He (my GP) ran another one that said I was low.  He suggested I wait.  I am thinking about having a biopsy done as the only thing I can think of was about 25 years ago.
Some sites made it sound like I am at deaths door.
Hey all- Just got back from docs-they did a cbc before I left...but unless there's been a big drop from the 10.9 he probably won't add in procrit yet. He figures I'm still climbing ladders, crawlin through attics and tolerating tx better than anyone he knows. He's thrilled I was down to 3140 copies from 18.7mil at start. Says let's just stay the course, no riba uppage as I'm getting more tired and my weight is down 20lbs from start. He will do a PCR in June around 36weeks.
As for short of air when I eat...He said sure anything can be related to these meds, but maybe I should slow down and not be jumping up to run out the door when I sit down to eat. (Although he got a big smile when he heard I'm still doing 5-6 meetings a week.) I had to tell him overall I still get just as much food in a day as before. He doesn't seem big on adding meds unless they're really needed. We'll see what the cbc says but honestly I had a pretty good day physically.
Thanks for all your concern,
Don
Reading your post, I felt like I was reading about myself.  Pretty active tax practice - on the legal side with trusts and estates and scattering - 50 to 100 individual returns. Just got the last estate filed on the way home tonight.  

I too started tx in July - the 1st to be exact - did shot #42 on Friday.  This was a tough tough tax season.   As I get closer to the end of tx, I am really dragging and the only numbers I can keep in my head are related to shots and when I will finish.  I keep counting and recounting the weeks.  I feel I am barely dragging myself across the finish line here.  

Was nice to read your post and know that I am not alone in this. Good luck to you, amazing to think that this began almost a year ago.  Seems like forever.  Did clear the virus early, undetectable at 4 weeks from 5 million to start.  Always did like my interferon - riba I can take or leave - just trying to get it to stick is the hard part.
Friole , glad to hear you'll get some rest now, I wouldn't want to do all them numbers on this stuff! Goodluck on finishing tx.

Shanana , Your the same grade and stage as I, goodeal your getting started there , hope the best for ya.

Strator, better slow down guy, I know it's hard to do. I'm raising 2 girls and am the only 1 working here and it's a b--ch I know. Although I believe staying busy is better on tx ,if we can, I've already overdone it and payed the price. Seems to help eatin oranges and fruit during the day. Your a great example and have helped inspire the dyceman to keep gettin up!

Dyce
Some sites made it sound like I am at deaths door..... Even before a bx? Stay away from those sites. And yes many find out after their 50. Its good your seeing a specialist. Don't sound like your gp is to up on hep-c. Most aren't, Yes a bx you should have and find out what geno type you are. Best of luck to you and i wouldn't worry to much. Chances are your going to be just fine.
Should ad that most people die with hep-c then from it.
So glad your feeling better, may just be another sx to the meds.  We all know how that is. When will you get the CBC back?

Beagle
Thanks for the uplift Can-do-man.   SOmetimes it is hard to stay positive.
Has anyone evertried Herbal remedies with the standard HepC medication?  SOme people swear by them but I have no idea what to think.
Hey wish I knew!! Glad your ordeal is over.  I have had a huge hassle, our tax person just finished 04 in february,.. by the way you owe $3300, plus penalties, etc, and I (duh) changed to a new accountant, since it took her a year and a half to do them... new person still has not called us yet.... this is the 17th, right?  long sigh...

Btw, I am not in South Dakota.  I SPACED my flight, missed the plane, couldn't get there for another 24 hours....

I never thought about IRON.  I need to look at mine.  I can order them without.  I will do that next month (May). I go to the DR for the first time in May 2 so I have lots of learning to do.
There have been a lot of people who have REALLY believed in herbal "cures" or "remedies" that have come and gone over time and one in particular found that her liver enzymes TRIPLED from taking them instead of treatment.

The only thing currently that can cure hep is Interferon.  While there are herbs that are of course I am sure safe to take make SURE BEFOREHAND that they will NOT cause anymore liver damage than you already have.

Definitely check with your doctor.  I'd advise mostly sticking with the essential vitamins (but NO IRON OR A)...for general health.  It's JUST my opinion though - but I've seen too many horrible results from them and I wouldn't take them!
My word, I feel like I just found a twin.  Took the day off yesterday and never even got on the computer at home.   Worked in the yard all morning and went to the mall all afternoon. I was really wiped out but had to pick up the grandkids from daycare and told them I was going to lay on the couch when we got home.  My 5 yo granddaughter pulled up her little chair and "read" to me.  

Until about March 15th, all I do is trusts, estates, corporations, and partnerships.  Whew.  Try to get them all done by then.  After that it is individuals.  I worked about 50 less hours this year plus I had about 30 sick hours that I never have.

Like you I am ready for this to be over.  No, I was not clear at 4 or 12 weeks.  I started with a vl of 1.52 million, and at 4 weeks it was about 2600, and at 12 weeks it was still 40 stinking viri.  So the jury is still out as to whether I will add a little time.  Congrats on your clear at 4 weeks.  THat is wonderful, and you truly are at the finish line.
Kathy