HR/resveratrol question
I remember reading many moons back of HR recommending resveratrol - both to those with liver damage, as well as an overall beneficial supplement. Once again it is in the news and I believe it's time for me to seriously consider looking into it further.

Does anyone remember what doasges he recommended (in my case, post tx SVR w/ little histology)? And I believe he also recommended Life Extension as a quality resource for purchase. They seem to be a somewhat pricey, though. Has anyone found any other resveratrol suppliers who offer the same high quality, but at a lower value?

TnHepGuy
Have you checked some of the other online companies that sell life extension products.  I have bought their products from iherb.  The price was less .  Service at iherb was good .
I have bought longeveratrol at vitacost which is their NSI version of resveratrol and they said it is the strongest resv. they carry.  I have bought lots of stuff from vita cost and been very happy with it.  My husband has cirrhosis and improved greatly from taking HR's supplements.  Like it or not, I've had to consider price .  I have seen several products from vitacost which were analyzed by consumer labs and they always checked out good.    
Ev
If anyone is interested there is a multi level program that sells isotonic vitamins and their reservatol is their star product.  I used to use and sell the products, and I'm thinking about getting back into it so that I could purchase them at wholesale.  Would anyone be interested in this as you have to sell a certain amount.  Its really not a difficult program.. and I am not currently doing it, but if anyone is interested in it let me know and I'll look into it.  The isotonic is supposed to mean that it is easier to assimilate as it passes through membranes immediately and it is in a powder form that you mix w/ water to make a coctail (small amount) so its easy to use... I'm not trying to sell you anything, I'm just trying to see if anyone thinks its a good idea.  The name of the company is Market America and I havent been involved for a good 8 years at this point.  M4rnow.
I hope this is OK to post..
Thanks for  your comments.

I've been using supplements by the company NOW for some time - and will probably continue to do so. I see where they offer resveratrol in 200mg caps and will order some as part of a bigger order through iherb, vitaglow or luckyvitamin (depending on cost) - all places I have used before.

I just spoke on the phone w/ a NOW rep who said the suggested daily intake is 200-400mg/day (i.e. - 1-2 caps). Anyone remember what dosage HR suggested? What levels are others here taking?

TnHepGuy
Resveratrol (500 mg) x2 daily is HRs' recommendation.

info:   http://www.lef.org/resveratrol/

Best price I have found:

http://megaresveratrol.com/
lots of evidence-based support for resveratrol on pubmed. It also appears lower does are effective:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0002264

I'm not quite sure how I compare to a middle-aged lab mouse, but I'm going with the same dosage that worked for them : 4.9mg/Kg/day. At 82Kg that puts me at 500mg/day (I figure lack of a tail and way shorter whiskers actually put me a little bit ahead of the game).
[quote]I have seen several products from vitacost which were analyzed by consumer labs and they always checked out good. [/quote]

evangelin,
Do you have any links to these lab analysis done on vitacost stuff? I, too, buy 4-5 different vitacost/NSI supplements and I worry because of their marketing savvy that they might not be as good as they say. You know how you go to order something that is non-NSI and they always "suggest" an NSI equivalent that is cheaper. I get so tired of hearing marketing claims like "we use only the finest of ingredients" or "specially formulated by a panel of our doctors".
You know, i have read so much for the last 4 yrs in researching this disease that i often can't remember exactly where I read things.  I checked out a book from the library that contained consumer lab reports. it could have been there. Consumer labs lets you see a few reports for free and I have occasionally poked around in that website so it could have been there,  I'm pretty sure vitacost has printed the consumer lab reports on some of their products. I have been an obsessive reader all over the web since my very beloved husband has failed two treatments and has cirrhosis.  Remember Dorothy and the hour glass?  I have frantically scanned the net for any hint of help and until HR's supplement list, nothing really helped a whole lot.
  I wish I could  tell you exactly but it was just something I mentally noted as I came acrossed the info.
Ev
I think I can speak for HR on this. Hopefully he won't object - though I won't be as diplomatic as he might. This is my take on his take, if you will. He's soured a bit on the LE resveratrol, a purity/concentration/standardization thing I think. The current hot ticket is Mega Reveratrol. They have 50%, 98%, and 99% pure formulations. I take the 50% because it's the cheapest per unit of resveratrol. HR mentioned 500-1000mg minimum of pure, the mega-resveratrol bottle recommends 1500-2000mg. I take 500-1000.

They have a wholesale program and I'd go in on an order if others wanted too. http://www.megaresveratrol.com/wholesale_c.html

Gram for gram, the 50% mega-res is 1/2 the price of the 50% vitacost. Buy in volume and you can get it down to 1/3 the price.

Warning - They caution the 50% stuff can give some people the Hershey squirts.  No squirts here.....
These dudes are hard core!

http://www.imminst.org/forum/index.php?s=7fc4096f9543a75b5d4103f81f89cd75&showtopic=16805
I got the vitacost  and was not impressed..it looked like someone has dried and ground up a grape and grape seeds in it. If I want dried grapes or ground grapeseeds, they are in my back yard and free. Not sure how bioavailable the stuff is either...there seems some  debate there.
gauf - thanks a lot for the HR and supplier info. I hope you are holding up well as you continue your 'scorched virons' policy.

willing - which supplier are you getting your 'cheese' from?

GoofyDad - glad to hear you are 'trot-free' these days (though your past 'accidental adventures' sure make for good copy). When looking at purchasing in bulk, do you know if there's any kind of 'shelf-life' to the product? Would hate to have the last bottle sitting in the cabinet end up withering to 'shooting blanks' status by the time I get around to it. The 24 bottle purchase of the 50% would work out to 1440 days worth (at 2x 500 mg/day). I haven't spoken to the wife yet to gauge interest there but if so, dividing it 3 ways works out to 480 daily doses per individual. 4 people would be a year's worth per (360 doses), etc. Maybe 8 would be the magic number, then - reducing re-ordering to every six months. But, then again, trying get coordinate that many people to match up time-wise, money-wise, you-name-it-wise - sounds a bit over the top itself. Back to square one.

I'm staying away from the peeps in that link, too, GD. Me thinks they'd have me mixing my All Bran breakfast cereal (if that's even allowed) w/ rubbing alcohol, Bunsen burner-ing it, filtering through 5 micron paper, and then reconstituting it with unpasteurized gerbil milk.

TnHepGuy