Hepatitis C Community
Help! Not sure what to do

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Help! Not sure what to do

Wife was hopitalized, alcohol stage 4 cirrosis (cirrhosis); she was released, does not eat, refused to eat going on 4 weeks. Her bilirubin, enzymes (24-27?) and ammonia in blood is elevated. She is a skeleton, Hospice finally put a GI tube in today feeding ensure. No IV... why? She is incoherant today. Sister (nurse) is concerned that she may be at the stage of "hepatic encephalopathy, her abdomen is huge (ascites). Someone be straight with me and tell me what I need to do. Dr has dicussed transplant list. Should I have her sons come to see her from out of State? You have been through this... what does all this mean, what should I do, and what can I expect at this point. Help!
I'm so sorry to read of your wife's condition.  This must be indescribably hard for you and all your family.  I do not have much experience with late stage cirrhosis, but I want to bump your post back to the top so someone more knowledgable than I will see it and respond.  I believe if your wife's doctor is discussing transplant, though her condition is grave she must be deemed strong enough to undergo that procedure.  In your position I would have her sons see her sooner, rather than later.  

I will keep a good, healing thought for you.

All the best,
jd
i am very sorry for you i think you need to have a serious covsersation with hospice i am assuming they came to your home to put in feeding tubethis may help if she is not eating this is not good you need to speak with doctor asap i think you should speak to her children you need to remain strong for your wife at this time may you find peace regards steve