Hepatitis C Community
Hep-C after treatment

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hep-C after treatment

Hi i'm 25 and live in pakistan. I had Hep-C and i was treated with combination therapy (interferon + ribavirin) from UK. I got "not detected" by PCR just after 4 weeks of treatment but i completed the course of 24 weeks.
Now after 8 months after treatment ended i'm still not detected by PCR but my anti-HCV (Eliza--CMIA) results are disturbing. my rate is 11.11 but the cut off rate is 1.0

what does this mean and what should i do.

PCR accuracy in all tests was >15 IU/ml
No worries. You will always show antibodies. As long as the PCR test is NEG you are fine and do NOT have HCV
Well thats great to hear. but I needed to clear the anti-HCV test for screening purpose for visa. is there any way i can do that after all this.
There is no treatment to rid the body of HCV antibodies, your best option would be to get a recent negative PCR and have a doctor sign off on it saying you do not have HCV that you are only positive for the antibodies.

Will it work, I don't know, that would be up to the people issuing the visa

Good luck and have a great day
In that case does this result me that i'm not contagious. can HCV spread to others from after that i have negative pcr
No you are not contagious you do not have the virus any longer.'
Actually you need to wait a few weeks to prove that you are SVR which would mean cured, I'm sorry I did not notice that you were only 4 weeks post treatment. Still your odds are very good that you will achieve it.
Wait sorry I hate being at work and reading/typing too fast 8 months post treatment and UND you are SVR and cured. Try to get a letter from your doctor.
HI, the visa requirement says Serology Blood investigation including HCV. can any one explain what does that mean would it be PCR or anti-HCV.
The PCR test is the one used to determine whether you have the virus in your blood. The other test just determines whether you have EVER been exposed to the virus at any time. If the officials are using their brains they would accept either a negative Elisa test OR a negative PCR – but officials like that can't always be trusted to make the most intelligent decisions. I think your best bet is to take the PCR results (and maybe a doctor's letter would help) and just try it. You could try asking them in advance but that doesn't always work out anyway – you could get someone answering who doesn't really know and isn't the same person who makes the decision in the end. You do not have the virus anymore, so there is no chance of being contagious. Good luck with the Visa!