Hepatitis C Community
Hep C exposure in home setting.

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hep C exposure in home setting.

Hi all,

Yesterday while visiting my father's home I used the restroom for #2. While wiping I noticed a very small blood smear on the end of the toilet paper roll. My father took treatment for hep c many years ago but currently taking no medication because it cleared the infection (per my mother.) Knowing there was dry blood on the toilet paper and I used it to wipe my vagina and anus, is it possible that I contracted Hep C? I did not notice any bleeding/cuts/open wounds on my areas. I worry about the exposure to mucous membrane for my self and my daughter who also used that specific roll during our visit. Please help, I am so worried.
  No, no risk here~
Thank you, I so appreciate your taking the time to respond to my question. If you could would you elaborate on why no risk? I was under the assumption that dried blood was still infectious and that mucous membranes were an adequate transmission route. Even if there was Hep C virus present in the blood smear (if for some reason the virus wasn't cleared) is there still
no risk from this event?
I looked at your profile and saw your other post on the HIV forum.

Your problem has nothing to do with these viruses. Your problem is either anxiety of OCD. Please seek help.

Please move on and forget about 'what ifs.'
You are correct in that the HIV incident I described was very "what if" and far-reaching. However, since there was contact with blood from someone I know to have had the virus in the past, I do worry about the possibility. More so for my young daughter, but I guess that is moot. I hope the new year finds you all well.