Hep C symptoms
Ok I have been on this forum long enough to know that ppl get a little cranky when someone starts talking about symptoms of Hep C when they are not on tx. But Im going to just put this out there and hope for the best.  My daughter is looking at going to medical school.  She would like to go to Mayo or Baylor.  She aims high.  Anyway, while looking at the websites.  I found place where you can look up illnesses, so naturally I looked up Hep C.  Well both sites had almost identical info.  They both said that most ppl have no symptoms.  They then list symptoms of Hep C.  So why is it that when ppl come onto the forum and say that they have a symptom of Hep C are they met with disbelief?  I also read on another website that they severity of the symptoms are not necessarily indicative of the severity of the illness.  I know that it is important that ppl check out other possibilities other than Hep C if they are having problems.  But if the doctors dont find anything else, why cant we just acknowledge the possibility that a person is just having symptoms from the Hep C itself.  I dont think its fair to say that they are aging or using Hep C as an excuse, because the statement that "most people dont have symptoms" means that some ppl can.  And I think it makes ppl feel even worse when they dont feel free to discuss possible symptoms here.  Remember, our bodies are fighting a battle everyday.  And some ppl just dont hold up as well as others when in this battle.  Just my opinion. Dont get mad or anything. Sorry but Im tired A LOT.
Hi - Before I was diagnosed with acute HCV this past summer,  I did have symptoms,  but had no idea they were because I had Hepatitis.  The one symptom I experienced, aside from a short bout of brown urine, was extreme fatigue and lethargy. I am normally very energetic and enthusiastic but really struggled to be functional.   After I was diagnosed, I mentioned the fatigue to my Dr. and he said that my body was fighting the virus with everthing it had and I would be tired as anyone would who was sick with any infection, bacterial or viral.  I damn near cleared it - came so close.  

I don't think  people who say they have symptoms are crazy - I'm certainly not.  I never complain nor am I a wimp.  I didn't know I had it so I wasn't making up or imagining symptoms to support the diagnosis.  
my pre-tx symptoms were fatigue, nausea, purpura (from low platelets), hive-like rash, and upper right quadrant pain. i would bet it's common to show some symptoms, but i'm sure it depends on your stage. i am late stage 3 (probably stage 4, as per biopsy). i was also diagnosed with cryoglobulinemia.  everyone is different tho.

a 2 minute google found this:

Many people with chronic hepatitis C have no symptoms of liver disease. If symptoms are present, they are usually mild, nonspecific, and intermittent. They may include

fatigue
    mild right-upper-quadrant abdominal discomfort or tenderness (“liver pain”)
    nausea
    poor appetite
    muscle and joint pains

" So why is it that when ppl come onto the forum and say that they have a symptom of Hep C are they met with disbelief? "

i find this statement you made hard to believe.

Thank you.  It was my symptoms that lead me to seek medical help in the first place too.  Ive only know about this for about 2 years. I, too was energetic. I was exercising and working and doing things with my kids. But when I got so tired and my brain didnt function as well, I got worried.  I had all kinds of tests done.  They tested my thyroid, my heart, and even did an MRI of my brain and didnt find anything to cause this.  Thats when my doctor tested my liver function.  And the rest is history as they say.  And some ppl that its age related.  Well, I just refuse to believe that I aged that much in 2 years.  I appreciate someone else who is willing to believe that some of us just have symptoms related to this illness. Thanks again for your reply.
Ok maybe Im the cranky one because Im tired.  

Maybe Im just over sensitive to what a few ppl have said it the past. I hope that what I said was not true.  But one post from the past said that" ppl try to blame all of their problems on HCV"  And someone else said that if a person wasnt on treatment that they shouldnt be THAT tired. Maybe I read more into those type of statements.  I hope I did.  Usually ppl here are pretty kind and compassionate.  I just didnt feel that sometimes ppl take non treatment symptoms seriously.  Like I said, Im tired right now so I should let this go and go to bed.  

I just found out this month but I have felt my health noticeably deteriorating since2008.  I didn't know what was wrong but the morning migraines, increasing joint pain & lethargy might be because of this.  I guess everybody has different types and varying degrees of symptoms.
While I would generally encourage more use of terms like 'generally' and 'normally' etc; the assumption that any symptoms are NOT down to HCV is the correct one for everyone's health generally.

Because MOST people with chronic HCV don't report symptoms, it may therefore be MORE LIKELY that there is a secondary cause, which SHOULD be checked out by a doc, for one's own sake.  If the Doc eliminates other likely scenarios, and puts it down to HCV, then great - but assuming that HCV is the cause, when that is an atypical scenario, is potentially dangerous.
Yes, there is a point, after decades of infection, where you do start having symptoms. Yet for 20, 30, 35, years ... nothing. If I remember right, one of the examples given was from someone 2 or 3 years post tx, and were of symptoms generally not related to a bad liver or previous tx. If the context is right it's not such a stretch that a statement similar to, there is tendency to blame HCV for all their problems, is correct. All the Best.
diagnosed one month ago-quite a nightmare surprise.  The only risk factor was once 40 years ago, when not by choice I was injected by my hippie brother in-law.  Then in between then and now I have had one transfusion on 1996 which saved my life, and extensive dental care both in Mexico and here.  I have not experienced any of the symptoms mentioned and until a week ago or so have noticed esporadic foam in my urine and a constant belly ache, I do not know if this is caused by my panic or if it is the real "thing".  I continue to walk 5 miles daily and my energy level has not changed.  I will have a liver biopsy at the end of this month with hopes to get into a new medication trial.  I am so scared, petrified!!!  Thank God for this forum, I have learned a lot!!!

You didn"t really ask any questions .so I would just like to say welcome and if you need to....... ask away ..lots of good folks here.

Good luck with your biopsy.
Will