Hepatitis C Risk of Transmission
A few days ago I went to a sephora makeup store. One of the sales assistants sampled a lip gloss on me using extra clean applicator swabs that they provide. A few minutes later I passed by the same aisle and I saw a customer using that same lip gloss on her lips without using any extra applicator, instead using the original applicator which goes back in the lip gloss. Here's my worry, what if someone before me didn't use the clean extra applicators but used the actual applicator that comes with the tester gloss and put that back in. If this person was infected by HIV or hepatitis, am I at risk for catching it? I had a sore throat so I'm worried that they may have swabbed some of their blood and put that back inside to mix with the liquid, and I then smeared gloss with that blood on my lips. If it was contaminated with HIV or Hep C, could I have contracted it this way? If I am at risk for any diseases can you please tell me which ones and when and which tests to get to insure accurate results?
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/EXTREMELY-WORRIED-ABOUT-RISK--Tested-positive-on-antibody-test/show/1637077#post_7472413

You seem to be very paranoid about contracting HCV follow the links and educate yourself on how HCV is transmitted

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Hepatitis/A-Guide-to-Understanding-Hepatitis-C-2006-/show/180?cid=64

http://www.hcvadvocate.org/hepatitis/factsheets.asp

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001329/

http://www.aafp.org/afp/1999/0101/p79.html

All the info you request can be found in these links

Cold sore, cold virus, flu, maybe, but not HCV.  The likelihood of transmission via lip gloss is negligible.  Seriously, could you imagine the epidemic we'd have of HepC/HIV if it was transmitted via lip gloss or a fork, or a whatever?

It's a blood to bloodstream virus.  You don't get it by ingesting it.

Rad through the links hrsepwrguy has provided.
Hi hrsepwrguy,
Thank you so much for the additional help. I seem to be getting recurrent backlash on posting about risks. I would just like to make clear that the risk that I spoke of in the initial link was a risk that I had months ago, and got even more worried because after I had the screening test done- my result came back false positive. This time however, I feel as though I could have had an actual risk since I smeared liquid with unknown contents on my mouth, which could have also touched someone else's mouth. That puts me at risk for any type of viral/bacterial infection, but I also want to know if it puts me at a risk for hepatitis if that person's lips were bleeding as lips often do during the winter time. I have looked through the resources you have provided and all I can see is that HCV can be transferred through razors/toothbrushes/nail clippers but not through casual contact like sharing eating utensils or food/water. Since my instance is in the middle of those, I don't know whether I have put myself at risk or not.
You should get tested then, that will give the answer you are looking for...i'm gonna bet money that it comes beck ngative though...
You are not at risk with the scenario described, if you are still worried get tested again, the last link I provided covers proper testing procedure and lenght of time needed to wait depending on tests taken.
It is true that we are contagious.I have been practicing safe sex for years and being careful when preparing food.I did read somewhere that the virus dies several hours after leaving your body.I wonder if this is true?I am careful with my shaver and toothbrush around my 5 year old.I got hep c from my ex sexually.She got it through a transfusion for 2 tubular pregnancies and passed it to me sexually.After a difficult delivery of our first child,she wanted another.She didn't know her first delivery was difficult and left dead cells or tissue in her tubes and her dr put her on a schedule as to have sex when she's ovulating.It seemed she ovulated often.My penis was bruised and bled.I would take care of myself till I got the call"I'm ovulating again".You have got to be kidding,it has been only a few hours.She never got pregnant again for the tubes were blocked.Now the hospital uses compressed air to clean the tubes.I also had a back operation that same year.We could be both the blame for giving each other the virus.Now I use condoms all the time now.I got remarried and wanted to start a new life with her 5 year old grandson.I have got to be very careful around him.I could unknowingly infect either one of them.If you are concerned about being infected,Get a blood test.I do not know how long it takes for the virus to show after first getting infected.Ask your dr.